Help required

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2010, 06:51 PM
Didds
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help required

Hello and Good Evening!

As a relative newcomer to this blogging mallarky please bear with me.. Not sure if I should be asking this here or elsewhere on the site, but here goes..

I have a Forester 2.5 XT (2005) which I have (for the first time with this car) had some work carried out by a garage that was not the main dealer. Part of the work was to replace one of the rear shocks - both the shocks were replaced, but unfortunatley not the self levelling ones that my model came with - therefore it is hanging lower at the back than the front.

The garage have acknowledged the ****-up but the only replacements they can source is from the main dealer, and it may come as no surprise to you all that they are quoting £350 EACH for the shocks for my model (a significant amount of money at this current moment in time!)

My questions are as follows:

Firstly, can I replace the FRONT shocks with non self levelling (similar to the rear), and if so, how will effect the driving dynamics of the car (I don't take it off road, and to be honest it would look pretty good!)

Secondly, can anyone advise me if there are replacements out there that are not so extortionately priced and where I can find them please?! (I am attempting to source second hand, but am a bit wary of doing this for obvious reasons..)

I stand by for you comments, and would be grateful for your advice.

Ta.

Didds
Old 20 May 2010, 07:50 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

You would be better getting a set of coilovers.
Old 20 May 2010, 08:46 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what does the dealer charge for 2 rears or all 4 shocks?

I assume your garage will refund the costs on the wrong ones and labour ...

Assaid above, ask the tuner / aftermarket people what works for your car safely and to do what you need it to do.

Not a forrester user ( perhaps try and find Palatine? In Warrington? on line... He had a STi forester lowered etc. )
Old 20 May 2010, 09:55 PM
Didds
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your comments - I hadn't considered the coilovers but sounds like the way to go - at £385 each for standard fit, it makes sense! (and yes, the garage are happy to refund and will refit free of charge! - doubt you'd get that at a main dealer!)

Last edited by Didds; 20 May 2010 at 09:57 PM.