Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine failure! always at the back of your mind?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2010, 01:16 AM
ThePoorMansScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine failure! always at the back of your mind?

IMO this is the main downfall of scooby ownership, anyone else like me?

Have people got cash ready and waiting or just willing to take the risk and sell up losing thousands if it happens?

Is it possible to knock back from 450 to 280 so i can sleep at night hahaha.
Old 19 May 2010, 07:33 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by ThePoorMansScooby
IMO this is the main downfall of scooby ownership, anyone else like me?

Have people got cash ready and waiting or just willing to take the risk and sell up losing thousands if it happens?

Is it possible to knock back from 450 to 280 so i can sleep at night hahaha.
They can be very reliable if properly treated. Most failures are caused by something in particular. Just a few short years ago, power outputs around 450bhp were touring car territory, with strip downs after every race! We're aware of owners who don't do the basics, like keeping enough oil in it, then blame Subaru when it fails. Tuned Impreza engines invariably use oil.
Unlike the crappy cars I used to drive in my youth, they won't tolerate slack big end bearings for long, so if you hear an unexpected noise, switch it off!
Old 19 May 2010, 09:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I should be getting mine back this week, with a fair amount of meney spent after a failure last August in France.

How long it'll be before I stop driving it with no music and with one eye on the dials all the time, well, that's anybody's guess.
Old 19 May 2010, 12:34 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

A tuner (many years ago) said to me "How fast can you afford to go!?"

If someone can't afford the maitenance or potential repair bill..... buy a standard car with a manufacturers warranty.

Don't get me wrong.... I don't plan for my engine to let go or give me problems, but I ensure I have the cash there should it happen. Never skimping on maintenance and hoping I have done the job right in the first place. Being proactive is always better than being reactive.

Unfortunately I feel too many people think the story finishes (as regards to potential spend and maintenance required) once the modifications have been done.
Old 19 May 2010, 12:45 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I should be getting mine back this week, with a fair amount of meney spent after a failure last August in France.

How long it'll be before I stop driving it with no music and with one eye on the dials all the time, well, that's anybody's guess.
That was me after one bout of slight overheat for about 10 seconds, didnt even go over 3/4. I think it pays to be paranoid!
Old 19 May 2010, 12:59 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's overstated & scaremongering IMHO. You always hear about the failures whilst people rarely post on here that it's another year of trouble free motoring

The P1 on the otherhand

TX.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:06 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

agree with him :-)
Old 19 May 2010, 03:33 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

your always going to think that with any peformance car i think it comes with the territory,mine went bang last year on the 1st outing after having it resprayed so i just parked it up did as much extra work as i could to get it sorted and if it goes again i'll do the same again until i get bored of it

i don't think i've ever had my stereo on in the 3 yrs i've owned it and always think i hear a new noise but its normaly just being over paranoid (i hope)

i know alot of people use thiers as a daily driver but mine's just a weekend toy so i look at it as my hobby and at the end of the day most hobbys cost money with no return so i just except that but its different for other peeps who rely on thiers to get them to work everyday