ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advanced Driving Test/Racing Licence?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2001, 03:28 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone ever done the Advanced Driving test and if so was it difficult and did yo get any benefit in terms of your insurance premiums...also I was wondering if anybody has their racing licence, how they went about it, costs etc..
Old 06 March 2001, 05:13 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I have taken and passed the IAM Test, it is surprisingly difficult, especially if you elect to perform a commentary whilst driving where you must tell the examiner everything that is going through your head whilst driving, you'd be amazed at you much you do instinctively.

Anyway back to the point, I have previously had a reduction in my insurance premium because of it, but not with the scoob.

Andrew...
Old 06 March 2001, 05:30 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

G man
I did the RoSPA advanced course - basically 10 2.0 hour "lessons" + reading the "Roadcraft" book + study/learn the Highway code (thoroughly !) with loads of practice to unlearn your bad habbits and learn "good" ones - including full commentary.
Well worth the effort (and it is an effort - and your brain hurts with the concentration !), but now don't do everything I should for best roadcraft eg brake, then gear before corners to save wear&tear and petrol - I like to heel and toe and hear the over-run pops and bangs (hooligan !!). No drop on insurance (still £434 FC/PNC etc for group 19b) - doh!
No idea about racing licence.
Best advice - buy/read "Roadcraft" anyway.
Stan
Old 06 March 2001, 05:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have passed both my Advanced Bike and Car tests and I would recommend doing both. It isn't that hard if you know how to drive properly but it will do wonders for your ability to drive faster, smoother and safer!!!

I have yet to find <B>ANY</B> broker/ins company who give any discount for this and don't believe what the IAM bumf says - the IAM Select Insurance scheme is no where near as cheap as the rest of the market but they quote that they are 15% cheaper - absolute rubbish

Do it, you won't regret it.

Matt.
Old 06 March 2001, 06:04 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Smile

g man,

Depends on what racing you want to do !

I have a Class B Non-Race (Rally license). No test to get this, but you are restricted to Rally events and hill climbs etc.

The rule is its a NON-RACE license. So if you are after door to door racing like touring cars, this would be no good.

You do need a medical clearance from your GP, and fill in the paper work.

Just renewing mine at the moment.

Edit - forgot fees info:

Initial cost was about £30 I think. You pay this and to progress you must complete certain number of events within the season. Then apply for next level and pay higher fee and so on....

Cheers,

Sonic

[This message has been edited by Sonic Boom (edited 06 March 2001).]
Old 06 March 2001, 10:06 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by g man:
<B>Has anyone ever done the Advanced Driving test and if so was it difficult and did yo get any benefit in terms of your insurance premiums...also I was wondering if anybody has their racing licence, how they went about it, costs etc..[/quote]

There are lots of companies that ofer advanced?defensive training(I do ) some such as Ride/drive can put you in touch with insurance companies that will offer a reduction.
For racing you will need to do an ARDS course,most circuits offer these they are expensive contact Silverstone for the latest costs, they are likely to be the most expensive.