Need a new turbo, dont know what route to take

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2010, 06:47 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new turbo, dont know what route to take

Hi

My vf28 turbo has started to smoke and make some strange noises, so it looks like im in the market for a new one.

Ive recently had a fully forged engine built by api, along with full decat exhaust and uprated fuel pump. when i had the car remapped after running in, it didnt quite make the horsepower that i expected it would, so to make the most of the new engine ect, i think an uprated turbo is on the cards. David has mentioned a td05 20g to give more horsepower, but ive also seen there are 16's and 18's. Can anyone give me a run down on what the differences and power outputs are between these turbos and possibly some other options for different turbo's.

At the time of the remap i was expecting 320-340bhp but only made 300 which i was a little dissapointed with, so im thinking a turbo that can give me the power i was origanally expecting would be nice, and maybe a little more. Im not really looking for massive horsepower in the future and also need to consider things like gearbox and diffs that i dont really want to have to uprate to take all the extra power, what are the limits on standard gearbox and diffs on a v6 sti type-r ?

Im looking forward to some helpfull suggestions on this guys.

Thanks Tristan