Sponsored by:

Police road side tests

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2010, 09:12 AM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police road side tests

Does any one know if the Police have the equipment to do a road side noise/emissions test in there traffic cars nowadays. I say this as I saw in my local asda the Police were checking something on his car and had some equipment out. He had a Honda Prelude with a big tail pipe on.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:51 AM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Emissions maybe?
Old 12 May 2010, 11:44 AM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

it could have been a vosa spot check. have seen alot of these about recently. an unmarked car checks your regestration about 1 mile down the road to see if you have a current and up to date MOT certificate. if you have not then they radio down to the inspection area and you get pulled over for the car to be given a roadside MOT test.
it could have also been a decibel metre as all the proper pursuit cars carry them.

Last edited by imprezajon; 12 May 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12 May 2010, 12:10 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Been pulled twice for exhaust noise (never went anyfurther than just talking about the car, once they realised all was legal) Think if i recall legal limit is 92dB limit. Don't quote me on this though.
Old 12 May 2010, 03:11 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezajon
it could have been a vosa spot check. have seen alot of these about recently. an unmarked car checks your regestration about 1 mile down the road to see if you have a current and up to date MOT certificate. if you have not then they radio down to the inspection area and you get pulled over for the car to be given a roadside MOT test.
it could have also been a decibel metre as all the proper pursuit cars carry them.

what a load of crap, what does it say on the ticket for testing station "special road side mot centre" if you go through a ANPR check and found not to have mot tax or insurance then they will take your car off of you not give a mot for and give it you back!
Old 12 May 2010, 03:14 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Normally, a road side spot check done by VOSA checks are made for legal requirements, tyres (minimum limits/wear), steering, lights (high wattage bulbs), windows (as in baaaad boy tints innit), and noisy exhausts!!!! If the car has no m.o.t it will simply be towed untill a booking at an m.o.t station is confirmed- even then it can ONLY be driven from the impound to the m.o.t station.
Old 12 May 2010, 04:51 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

whats the point in a mot if there gonna be doing this. we may aswell not take an mot. thought once one is done they should not bother u because we have maintained are cars to the point they want us to. so if they scan an got an mot pass they should leave u alone. just more money for the government. petty crime
Old 12 May 2010, 04:55 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

better look at a sports cat
Old 12 May 2010, 05:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seddomyster
whats the point in a mot if there gonna be doing this. we may aswell not take an mot. thought once one is done they should not bother u because we have maintained are cars to the point they want us to. so if they scan an got an mot pass they should leave u alone. just more money for the government. petty crime
To make sure the car is safe to be used on a road.

The MOT could have been done thousands of miles ago, and in that time the tyres/brakes etc may have become worn/unsafe.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:05 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobydog63
better look at a sports cat
make sure it's a type approved one if not there are illegal also.

Ads
Old 12 May 2010, 05:06 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

thats why u have it once a year though. there bad enough catchin us hiding around a wall with a speed camera
Old 12 May 2010, 05:09 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
make sure it's a type approved one if not there are illegal also.

Ads
Cheers didnt know there were unapproved types.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

thats why u have it once a year though. there bad enough catchin us hiding around a wall with a speed camera
If you could see the state of some of the vehicles on the road that have a valid MOT you'd understand why they make these checks.

I saw a VW Golf the other day that had a 18" split in the chassis, 2 bald tyres, and the drivers door wouldn't open without a kick.

It passed it's MOT 3 months ago.
Old 12 May 2010, 06:04 PM
dudester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydog63
Does any one know if the Police have the equipment to do a road side noise/emissions test in there traffic cars nowadays. I say this as I saw in my local asda the Police were checking something on his car and had some equipment out. He had a Honda Prelude with a big tail pipe on.

Hope this answers you...
http://www.suffolk.police.uk/News+And+A ... hausts.htm

I allready know of three people who have been fined in Bury st edmonds,town center......Also there is no set decibel limit.but they have access to what a non modded car decibel reading is...
My Mates Ducatti 999 is 98db straight from the showroom!

Last edited by dudester; 12 May 2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: got link wrong
Old 12 May 2010, 06:45 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my word people do spout the most shocking rubbish

it amazes me they have the cognitive skill to open their front door
Old 12 May 2010, 06:56 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

How many cars do you think are on here that put a cat in place for MOT then remove it once it passes New cars don't require MOT for 3 years so tyres could be bald and pads/discs worn.

I'm happy these checks happen, if it removes deathtraps i see around often then good.

Aaron
Old 12 May 2010, 08:09 PM
dudester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
my word people do spout the most shocking rubbish

it amazes me they have the cognitive skill to open their front door
To whom are you refering too??
Old 12 May 2010, 09:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

One issue to ponder. Noise is subjective. If they ask you to start your engine up and rev it to cause a noise so they can test it, you should refuse to do so. If you do as they ask, you are being coerced into causing the felony. If they rev the engine up, they are the ones who are causing the noise. As far as I know, there is no way they can force you to start your car engine in any circumstance.
They can ask you to stop making whatever noise you were making, in which case, either don't start the car up, or don't rev it up.
If you were walking around the streets shouting, they would ask you to shut up, not drag out a decibel meter. Apparently the World's loudest shout was 121.7 decibels!
Once again, the law abiding chap with a car gets it in the neck.

What happened to "you have the right to remain silent"?

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 12 May 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: and another thing!
Old 12 May 2010, 09:44 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
How many cars do you think are on here that put a cat in place for MOT then remove it once it passes New cars don't require MOT for 3 years so tyres could be bald and pads/discs worn.

I'm happy these checks happen, if it removes deathtraps i see around often then good.

Aaron
i agree mate an as soon as these roads are fixed then hopefully i wont have to replace my car bushes sooner than later. i think the condition of them wil ruin my car an cause it to fail the next mot maybe