Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It just doesn't add up anymore, does it?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 09:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question It just doesn't add up anymore, does it?

I'm looking around to replace my 10 year old Impreza .. I've owned her since new, just MOT'd her for 12+ months today - never failed an MOT or had any advisories ... not bad.

Now, if Subaru UK get moving and offer a WRX Hatch in the STi Wide Body as the US is getting in the summer, I may well buy one ... if priced at under £20k.

But, they are not saying anything ... so, I'm looking around ... and it's quite staggering what these cars cost now to own, run and buy.

A WRX would cost £950 Road Tax in year 1, £435 each and every year after that (which will be the target for massive hikes as we know). 25 mpg if you are lucky. This car would cost £20k.

Look, for example, at a Mazda6 2.2D Sport. £19k to buy. £125 1st year Road Tax - this is £125 each and every year after that. 50 mpg. 400 NM of Torque! In white it's a fantstic looking car too!:-

The Octavia vRS petrol at 200 BHP is amazing value too, £15,500 OTR and £145 Road Tax, plus around 35 mpg! Pity it looks like a Taxi Cab

A Focus ST3 is £18k OTR .... I know, a Ford .... but very tempting!

Mazda3 MPS even?

It is getting seriously difficult to justify a Subaru Impreza .... I would love one, but I also hear of engine failures even on standard cars ..... modified cars you would expect to blow up ... but, standard out of the factory? Nah!

As the title .... it just doesn't add up anymore, does it?

I may well be jumping out of Subaru's and into something else .... and I never thought I would say that - not after the sterling reliable service of my old girl .......

Last edited by pslewis; 23 April 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 23 April 2010, 09:46 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Just keep your Subaru for fun,and buy the Mazda,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,end of
Old 23 April 2010, 09:49 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Just keep your Subaru for fun,and buy the Mazda,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,end of
+1
Old 23 April 2010, 09:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've got a MX5 for fun!
Old 23 April 2010, 09:53 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I've got a MX5 for fun!
Bum fun?
Old 23 April 2010, 09:54 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I've got a MX5 for fun!
MX5,,,,,,,are you a hairdresser???????
Old 23 April 2010, 09:57 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Considering you got 60 odd thousand miles out of a set of break pads or discs or something along those lines I just can not see you having any kind of fun in any kind of car let alone a Mazda Pete
Old 23 April 2010, 09:59 PM
shurm
Scooby Regular

Mazda 3 MPS lovely

Old 23 April 2010, 10:01 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shurm
Mazda 3 MPS lovely

What Mazda???? I can only see the new hatch STi
Old 23 April 2010, 10:04 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You'll never sell

TX.
Old 23 April 2010, 10:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

65,000 miles out of the front pads and discs ... yes.

About 85,000 miles out of the rear pads, discs still fine.

Original everything, except servicing items.

Really has been an outstanding car and I would buy a Subaru Impreza in a heartbeat but:-

1. If it looked right .. the slim bodied WRX's are rather naff .. WRX-S looks better, but resale will be terrible when the wide body appears.

2. The costs to buy ... the Road Tax issue is massive - imagine a £900 Annual Tax on an Impreza worth £3000?.

3. Future resale values will be extremely low - especially when Subaru pull out of the UK market.

4. Parts will be hard to come by, and even more expensive.

---------------------------

And the MX5 is pure fun ... that car is now 15 years old, again each MOT has been passed without issue ... amazing condition (in fact it is appearing in a Motor Transport Festival in early May!) ..... the hairdresser comments just don't hold water anymore - it's recognised as the best all-rounder Sports Car you can buy I'm thinking of a new MX5 too - but, this old one will stay with me.
Old 23 April 2010, 10:08 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Agree. I cant see why anyone would want a new one. The classics are the best!
Old 23 April 2010, 10:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mazda 3 MPS lovely

Hmmmm, I would .... but .... doggie needs space and the Mazda3 hasn't got any!!
Old 23 April 2010, 10:33 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

I think the 330d xdrive is the future, well for me anyway. Love my Alpina B3 Biturbo xdrive so much so I want another BM for the Mrs. I replaced my last WRX with a MKV Golf R32 5d DSG but am now looking to get rid of that and replace it with diesel and trying to find out the possibility of getting a 330d xdrive here in the UK as it ticks all the box's. Local dealer say no but BMW AG seem to think it's possible and gave me the contact details for their Tourist and Diplomatic Sales Department their Park Lane Dealership.
Apparently there are examples out there with minor intercooler mods, exhaust and remaps pushing 320bhp, 750Nm (Speed Religion SR3 330d) and with generic remaps offering in the region of 290BHP and 610Nm. I never thought I'd say it but performance diesels seem to be the way to go for a daily driver but of course you need to factor in the increased cost of buying one.
Old 24 April 2010, 12:33 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiler83
I think the 330d xdrive is the future, well for me anyway. Love my Alpina B3 Biturbo xdrive so much so I want another BM for the Mrs. I replaced my last WRX with a MKV Golf R32 5d DSG but am now looking to get rid of that and replace it with diesel and trying to find out the possibility of getting a 330d xdrive here in the UK as it ticks all the box's. Local dealer say no but BMW AG seem to think it's possible and gave me the contact details for their Tourist and Diplomatic Sales Department their Park Lane Dealership.
Apparently there are examples out there with minor intercooler mods, exhaust and remaps pushing 320bhp, 750Nm (Speed Religion SR3 330d) and with generic remaps offering in the region of 290BHP and 610Nm. I never thought I'd say it but performance diesels seem to be the way to go for a daily driver but of course you need to factor in the increased cost of buying one.
See we'll go through this issue in 18 months when bf's Alfa gets replaced. He's looking at a standard 335d or even 330d - with the thought of a hydrogen fuel cell!! His dream car is a Alpina D3
Old 24 April 2010, 12:44 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

What you want is a wide bodied Impreza diesel then .
Old 24 April 2010, 02:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What torque is that? Don't understand Nm

TX.

Originally Posted by stiler83
Old 24 April 2010, 05:51 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
What torque is that? Don't understand Nm

TX.
295 lbft...

http://zxz-rally.110mb.com/art/wartosci/converter.htm
Old 24 April 2010, 06:18 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

Mazda 3 MPS lovely

what is see is a subaru made by mazda (shame) it should be a mazda made by subaru, i bet will a few detail changes you be like a ferrari mr2 lol, stick with what you got bud
Old 24 April 2010, 07:19 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Pete, this is another one of your posts i agree with totally! I want a change too, but unlike you have spent thousands on my car so i sort of feel 'trapped' to keep it. But ffs you are so right about the rip off taxes, etc.
I had my eye on a BMW 335D M Sport, would love one of them and i too have a mate with the VRS so know how well they perform from what he tells me! Incidentally, he came from a Subaru into the VRS and still gets a bit of performance for a lot less money.
I want but just cannot justify another Subaru for myself, even if i buy another performance car i do not think it will be a Subaru. I think i would be better suited to one of the many gadget laden Diesel turbo cars around now. I want some comfort and gadgets back! LOL.
My 03 WRX has now done 94k and i have and do love it, but the comfort and gadgets are calling. LOL.
Old 24 April 2010, 09:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mazda 3 MPS lovely

Well, took one of these out today .... steering wheel nearly ripped out my hands Talk about Torque Steer!!

I was disappointed, as I had visited the local Mazda Dealership and looked at the Mazda3 boot .... and, deciding that it could just do for the dog, travelled 60 miles to a Mazda Dealer who is a mps Dealer.

They had a white Mazda3 mps in stock as a demo .... excellent! Just the colour I want and can be bought for £19,964. Opened the boot and, low and behold, the boot space is less than the standard Mazda3!!! Lift up the cover and some poxy BOSE sub-woofer chavvie device is in there taking all the doggie space up!! Pathetic!!

What now?
Old 24 April 2010, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Pete, this is another one of your posts i agree with totally! I want a change too, but unlike you have spent thousands on my car so i sort of feel 'trapped' to keep it. But ffs you are so right about the rip off taxes, etc.
I had my eye on a BMW 335D M Sport, would love one of them and i too have a mate with the VRS so know how well they perform from what he tells me! Incidentally, he came from a Subaru into the VRS and still gets a bit of performance for a lot less money.
I want but just cannot justify another Subaru for myself, even if i buy another performance car i do not think it will be a Subaru. I think i would be better suited to one of the many gadget laden Diesel turbo cars around now. I want some comfort and gadgets back! LOL.
My 03 WRX has now done 94k and i have and do love it, but the comfort and gadgets are calling. LOL.
Indeed ...... we are in the same place - obviously I haven't spent the money you have.

The Mazda6 2.2D Sport tickles my fancy - £125 a year Road Tax ... £435 on an Impreza!

The Mazda gets loaded with kit ... like you, I'm ready for lifes comforts I reckon ... but still retain a bit of playtime fun with 180 BHP. Throw in 50mpg and it makes real sense. Resale values not that good though which is making me hesitate a little.

I'm a Subaru man, I love my Impreza - have enjoyed every moment with it ... would love another. It really pains me to walk away from such a great marque I liked the WRX-S I took out 2 months ago .... liked it a lot - but, it was wallowy and wandering ... I could forgive it that maybe - but £950 1st years Car Tax is shocking!

Like I said ..... it just doesn't seem to add up anymore and I'm very sad at that realisation.
Old 24 April 2010, 09:49 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

£950 tax to drive on our pot holed roads for 12 months, no chance. Its going to kill the new performance car market
Old 24 April 2010, 11:03 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Pete
The only thing that doesn't make sense here, now that you've already gone down the daily-driver/weekend-toy two-car route, is why you don't just walk straight into your dealership and haggle the best deal you can on a new Impreza Diesel. If you've got no need for all of the performance of the STI in any case, it seems like a complete no-brainer.

Yes it's the fuel of satan, but at least in a Scoob it comes in a slightly more original package than a BM, Mazda, or whatever else.

Nice limited edition offer at the moment too on the Forester Suretrak:
http://subaru.co.uk/offers/forester-...mber-available
Old 24 April 2010, 11:28 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Even the Forester has become a bloated shadow of its past fast soft-roading ability - a shame as its how I got hooked into Subarus.

As a modern equivalent, the Skoda Yeti 170 is catching my eye and might be what you need dog and performance wise?
Compare the Skoda price to a top of the range Forester - IM must be very worried.
Old 25 April 2010, 12:14 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think we all know cars can be bought and taxed cheaper than the impreza, if your bored just move on.
Old 25 April 2010, 01:43 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
that's not right. 610/1.3558 = 449.9 ft lbs
Old 25 April 2010, 05:11 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^

TX.
Old 25 April 2010, 10:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I think we all know cars can be bought and taxed cheaper than the impreza, if your bored just move on.
Hardly bored - I love the Impreza ..... just saying it doesn't seem to add up anymore.

However, I see that Subaru have added ppp to the WRX .... plus 18" Wheels .... just add the wide body, Subaru, and you may just catch me before I jump ship!
Old 26 April 2010, 01:11 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

you could allways wait for the new saloon impreza?

i quite like the look of the VW scirrocco(sp?) a bit small yes, but a nice looking car. went on the VW website added a few options and it came out at £30k nice but not that nice

s

Quick Reply: It just doesn't add up anymore, does it?