Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Blob STI to hatch STI peoples thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 01:09 PM
johnpye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Blob STI to hatch STI peoples thoughts!

Afternoon all, i would like to delve deep into the knowledge of the scoobynetters, I currently have a nice 04 plate black STI fairly standard (325bhp) which has done 30k, never let me down which I love to bits. I have been looking at the STI hatches though and have be tempted by a white one on an 08 plate with 17k on it. The only trouble is all i have heard is bad things about the hatch so i was wondering if anyone here has made the transition from blob to hatch and how they have got on. My heart wants me to change but my head is saying better the devil you know so PLEASE can i have everyones honest advice however harsh it maybe!!! Thanks everyone!
Old 23 April 2010, 01:25 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnpye
Afternoon all, i would like to delve deep into the knowledge of the scoobynetters, I currently have a nice 04 plate black STI fairly standard (325bhp) which has done 30k, never let me down which I love to bits. I have been looking at the STI hatches though and have be tempted by a white one on an 08 plate with 17k on it. The only trouble is all i have heard is bad things about the hatch so i was wondering if anyone here has made the transition from blob to hatch and how they have got on. My heart wants me to change but my head is saying better the devil you know so PLEASE can i have everyones honest advice however harsh it maybe!!! Thanks everyone!
I have an 03 STi (from new) 35k fair few mods and I love it. Unfortunatly, this will be my last Subaru. They don't make anything I want any more and with the unfortunate reputation they are now getting, that has put the hat on it! There are plenty of good performance cars out there to choose from. Why not consider a used EVO or the very underated Mazda 3 MPS?

JohnD
Old 23 April 2010, 02:00 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly new with the hatch.
But......
From new I've came from
MY98
MY00
MY02 Prodrive Style STI PPP
MY05 STI PPP

Now a 330S

The 330S is a great car, I'm still running it in and can't really comment on the performance.
I've only had one very brief S# accelleration in first/second pulling out of a junction in traffic.
Seems like it'll go pretty well

Quality wise - miles above the 05STI
Driveability - again mile above the 05STI, but thats just sensible driving.
I've yet to see what its really like.

There are without doubt some horror stories around though
Old 23 April 2010, 02:26 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
There are without doubt some horror stories around though
Not an STI I know but my dad got the new hatch WRX after driving my Classic wagon.

I have never been so disappointed in a car!!! It drives just like an old Golf IMHO. I hate it…. Completely blunt instrument and soft as hell.

Haven't driven the STI hatch TBH.
Old 23 April 2010, 02:34 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Came from an 06 Wrx Hawk and have to say the Hatch is a lot better, admitidly I went WRX to and STI but as an all round car the Hatch is very good.

I test drove a blob STI and found it a little harsh for everyday use (and a young family), have been out in a Hawk STI and although quick was again very harsh and the power delivery was all or nothing, the Hatch on the other hand is a lot more compliant, handles amazingly but without the stiff ride and the power just goes on and on. The 3 power modes are very good as is the quality of the interior and spec, cruise, climate, hill asist, power mirrors, heated seat (on mine), subaru still have a long way to go but are certainly getting there.

The hatch is a lot more practicle and I have to say I love it, certainly get a lot more looks in it than my WR blue Hawk which really suprised me, with the right options its a great looker, standard with the 17's I'm not that keen.

Take one out for a test drive and see what you think.

I must admit though the engine issues are a worry but if your going to keep it standard then that is not much of an issue, out of warranty you can always get it mapped for peace of mind.
Old 23 April 2010, 02:58 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I'm side tracking slightly here.
Heated seats - what model have you got?
How does hill assist work - I can't be bothered to read the manual