Sponsored by:

Red light on STI Hatch dash

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2010, 03:58 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red light on STI Hatch dash

reving to 5,500rpm a saw a red light on the dash!
Previously have rev'ed the car to 6k without this problem. However I was running 95 Octane fuel at the time and now back on the 98 octane fuel and no red light even at 6k rpm (which is about as high as I rev).

I contacted the local dealer and he indicated it was the ECU flash in late 2009 (which my car is) which preventes overboost related piston problem - safety feature. He did recommend that 98 octane fuel is necessary if you intend using the available power and when using lower octane to keep well clear of the upper rev range.

Car is fine and behaving itself, just wondered what this red-light indicated (knowing car dealers are know for there bull)?
Old 22 April 2010, 04:05 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sure you checked this already but are you sure its not your rev limiter, top center and flashes when you go above pre set (by yourself) limit, mines et at 5.5k so by the time I change I'm no where near red line, perhaps you have never noticed it in the past.

You can set it IIRC by holding the trip needle down for a few seconds.
Old 22 April 2010, 04:25 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikepaul
reving to 5,500rpm a saw a red light on the dash!
Previously have rev'ed the car to 6k without this problem. However I was running 95 Octane fuel at the time and now back on the 98 octane fuel and no red light even at 6k rpm (which is about as high as I rev).

I contacted the local dealer and he indicated it was the ECU flash in late 2009 (which my car is) which preventes overboost related piston problem - safety feature. He did recommend that 98 octane fuel is necessary if you intend using the available power and when using lower octane to keep well clear of the upper rev range.

Car is fine and behaving itself, just wondered what this red-light indicated (knowing car dealers are know for there bull)?
Yeah, but where abouts was this red light on the dash - on the rev counter?