Sponsored by:

turbo timer

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2010, 08:25 PM
rcak7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo timer

I have a 95 impreza with a cobra cat1 alarm, I have purchased a hks type 0 timer and harness but have no idea on the wiring side, please any help in diagrams,pics or advice would be great.
Old 21 April 2010, 08:33 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

i am in the same boat fella, well nearly i am on the look out for a turbo timer for my 00 scooby
Old 21 April 2010, 08:55 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save your money - a turbo timer is waste waste of money particularly for the Impreza engine!!!!
Old 21 April 2010, 08:58 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

Why do you say that when it help to cool the turbo after a run, I WOuLD JUST LIKE TO GET OUT THE CAR AND LET IT RUN ON FOR SAY 30 seconds,

if it help to save the turbo in the long run then happy days really
Old 21 April 2010, 09:09 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The header tank on an Impreza is above the turbo and due to the natural convection of water, the turbo will continue to be cooled after switch off. If you really want to effectively cool your car after a good run - drive off boost for the last mile or so and you will do way more than a turbo timer could ever hope to regardless of the engine it's fitted to
Old 21 April 2010, 09:11 PM
rcak7
Scooby Regular

i already bought one so still would like info on installing if you can help.
Old 21 April 2010, 09:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I don't have a clue but i do know that there has been a good few threads asking a similar question. Try a search and you may find the answer
Old 21 April 2010, 09:21 PM
rcak7
Scooby Regular

cheers bud
Old 21 April 2010, 09:32 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
The header tank on an Impreza is above the turbo and due to the natural convection of water, the turbo will continue to be cooled after switch off. If you really want to effectively cool your car after a good run - drive off boost for the last mile or so and you will do way more than a turbo timer could ever hope to regardless of the engine it's fitted to
well that does make sence, MIGHT SAVE MY MONEY NOW THEN
Old 21 April 2010, 09:34 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

....**** that spend it on another toy for your Scoob
Old 29 April 2010, 03:46 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridiculous - the function of a turbo timer is not to cool the turbo, it is to keep it lubricated while the blades are still spinning. Damage to the turbo is caused by turning the ignition off after a run because the moment you do so, oil and water are drawn back to the sump. The problem lies in the blades of the turbo still spinning when the oil is no longer present, which causes drag.

A turbo timer certainly is not a waste of money, always invest in one for a turbocharged car.
Old 29 April 2010, 05:46 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Smo_GSR
Ridiculous - the function of a turbo timer is not to cool the turbo, it is to keep it lubricated while the blades are still spinning. Damage to the turbo is caused by turning the ignition off after a run because the moment you do so, oil and water are drawn back to the sump. The problem lies in the blades of the turbo still spinning when the oil is no longer present, which causes drag.

A turbo timer certainly is not a waste of money, always invest in one for a turbocharged car.
Yes there needed that much that every manufacturer of turbo cars fit them as standard.
Old 29 April 2010, 05:48 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

I thought a turbo timer was 'required' with a scoob, so when I bought mine I asked the owner why he hadn't fitted one... simple reason: from main road to his house was a twisty narrow 10mph housing estate. There's your 30 seconds.
In my case from either road that I choose to get home to, I have nasty 1-5mph speedhumps which if you're not slow enough scrape on my lowered scoob . Again I have my 30 seconds.
In truth I don't drive the car hard anyway
Old 29 April 2010, 06:01 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
Yes there needed that much that every manufacturer of turbo cars fit them as standard.
No need to be snide and sarcastic - you know turbo timers are important, just as I do. High spec tyres are also very important, but not 'every manufacturer of turbo cars fit them as standard.'

Don't be so petty.
Old 29 April 2010, 06:24 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smo_GSR
No need to be snide and sarcastic - you know turbo timers are important, just as I do. High spec tyres are also very important, but not 'every manufacturer of turbo cars fit them as standard.'

Don't be so petty.
Who`s being petty. If they were needed they would have them. Iv owned turbo scoobs for the last 12 years and iv never found the need for one.
Old 29 April 2010, 06:38 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
Who`s being petty. If they were needed they would have them. Iv owned turbo scoobs for the last 12 years and iv never found the need for one.
It's not necessarily a 'need' - it's a creature comfort, like electric windows or power steering. They save you time and are a convenience. Of course you can run your car without one - it's just 10x easier to drive wherever you're going, get out and walk away while the car sorts itself out instead of sitting there waiting before turning it off.
Old 30 April 2010, 07:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Regardless of your reasons, a TT is still an utter waste of cash. Driving off boost for a short distance before you arrive at your destination and the turbo will be spinning no faster than if the TT was in charge of shut down.