Insurance daylight robbery?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2010, 01:08 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance daylight robbery?

Hi

follow up to my accident at xmas where is slid on the ice and made contact with another car, just got my rewnewal today saying that i have 3 years no claims? i phoned them up to say that i joined them with 10 years no claims. They told me the new figure was correct as they onlly count 5 years so i have effectively lost 7 years no claims, what a load of ****. I also asked about the claim cost, i didnt claim as it was only scraped paint on my car and a scratch in the fog cover, the other car had his passenger rear door paint scrapped down the middle. Wanna know how much they paid out for a door respray/change after an accident at 5 mph..............£2620!!!!! his car was only worth about £1000 go figure.
Old 01 April 2010, 01:29 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar situation. Had an accident in 2008, the fault was being disputed with third party. I paid my excess to get the claim processed and lost my no claims from 5 yrs to 2 yrs.

My insurance has gone up from around £700 to £1350. This week I got a letter from my insurance company who I was with in 2008 to say they have recovered the total cost from third party's insurance and reinstated my No Claims Bonus.

This means I now have 7 years ncb. I ring up Admiral as I am with them now, tell them my ncb is now 7 years and I would like them to adjust my policy and refund the difference......

"Sir I have adjusted what you say, but the premium is remaining the same as before. I am not be crediting your account."

How the F*** does that work. If it was the other way around and I was insured with 7 yrs ncb and rang them to tell them its actually 3 yrs ncb, would they not want more £££s off me?
Old 01 April 2010, 01:40 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I was wondering whether the car manufacturers have decided that charging the earth for replacement parts is a new way for them to make money. Someone ran into the back of my Citroen before Xmas. Only the rear bumper (and mounts etc) and a fog light needed replacing but the total bill was nearly £1500 - and over £800 of that was the bumper and ancilliaries. I find that ridiculous on a car that only cost about £14K new - surely an unpainted bumper shouldn't be nearly 6% of the cost of the car, even allowing for the supply chain costs. It's no wonder our insurance premiums are going through the roof.
Old 01 April 2010, 01:49 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

An extra NCD for me this year equated to around £120 difference from the previous year. I thought it would have been more than that!

But yes, Insurance is ridiculous. But, we make our choice.....
Old 01 April 2010, 02:05 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

prices are rising anyway. so extra ncd doesnt count much at the moment. will have a benifit though. and i know what you guys mean, we only use 5 yrs max ncd. so a claim knocks you back by 2 years and so forth. did you not have protection?
Old 01 April 2010, 02:28 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you lot need to talk to gary at Keath Michels insurance. (spelling)

my renewal at a-plan was just over £5000!!! a year ago as had 2 claims in a short time. KM came in at £800 fully comp with all mods declaired. and this year it has gone down another £100 +
Old 01 April 2010, 05:19 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

You had 10 years no claims discount and you didn't have it protected?

As I understand it most Insurance Companies will deduct 3years discount if you register a claim and they will allow you to protect your NCD once you have about 5years so why not protect it.
Old 01 April 2010, 05:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

When you look at how much garages bill the Insurance companies for hire cars and how long they drag the repair out for, it is no wonder we are charged so much for insurance.

The we have all this no win no fee accident claim nonsense going on to add to costs further.
Old 01 April 2010, 05:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

When you look at how much garages bill the Insurance companies for hire cars and how long they drag the repair out for, it is no wonder we are charged so much for insurance.

The we have all this no win no fee accident claim nonsense going on to add to costs further.
Old 01 April 2010, 07:25 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Sadly for me I was deployed overseas doing counter drug ops so the wife arranged it all, i didnt get back until over a month into the policy and of course she hadnt protected and also had a £600 excess. Protected or not i still think its horse **** that someone can have 9 gusting 10 years without a claim or an accident and then end up with 3. Thankfully i did phone Gary and he sorted me out with a good quote.
Old 01 April 2010, 07:39 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5

I had one of these claims management companies working for me to recover my excess from the guy who ran into the back of my Citroen. I could almost hear them sobbing at the other end of the phone when I told them neither I nor my son who was in the car with me at the time had any injuries and that the car was driveable so I didn't need a hire car. Apart from the excess the only costs I had to recover were some taxi fares to get to and from the body shop when dropping off and picking up the car - and the idiots lost the receipts so now can't reclaim this. They did get the excess back fairly quickly though.
Old 01 April 2010, 08:30 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Default Engine light 2007 WRX? after flat battery?

not sure what went wrong there?

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 01 April 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03 April 2010, 09:13 PM
andybod
Scooby Newbie

hello i have just renewed the insurance on my wife's 2003 wrx blobeye i thought the renewal price was stupid at just over £700 i'm 36 full ncb's and clean license my wife is 32 again clean license i thought it a bit pricey so had a shop round keith michaels,a plan,hic flux etc all coming out at silly money managed to get it down to just over£600 through royal mail insurance but i was only paying 450-500 a couple of years ago on our old bugeye then i have just read this (http://www.thatcham.org/research/index.jsp?page=33) coincidental that policys have gone up with new insurance groupings didn't the same happen early 90's when they changed from 7 groups to 20