ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec D ICE spec question please

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2010, 09:00 PM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D ICE spec question please

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I picked up my new Spec D yesterday (pics to follow) and have a question about the ICE in it.

My previous Impreza had the standard Clarion double-DIN unit and woefully weak standard Subaru speakers in it. I was always told that the headunit itself was not actually too bad, and it was the speakers that really let the system down, although I never got around to changing them.

My Spec D came with an uprated Pioneer Single-DIN headunit that appears to pee all over the standard one supplied with Hawkeye STIs. The sound is far better across the whole range, does not distort at high volumes and is overall massively more tight, controlled and bassy.

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone know if the the Spec D came with uprated speakers as well as the uprated headunit? If not (and so had the standard speakers installed), then I presume that the standard speakers actually are not too bad at all and it was the Clarion headunit that was complete tosh.

Hope someone can help me out, sorry if this is a really **** question. Does anyone even know what the hell I am on about?!
Old 26 March 2010, 10:54 PM
PtePyle
Scooby Newbie

Default Spec D speakers

The Spec D speakers are not uprated items and i found that they distorted quite easily. I replaced all of mine with Pioneer speakers which has made a big difference. Standard speakers are only rated at 30w and the stereo is 4x50w.
Old 26 March 2010, 11:13 PM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, thanks. In that case I think that the previous owner must have replaced the stock speakers then. Which is no bad thing. I guess I'll just have to take the door cards off and have a look at what's in there. Thanks though Pyle.

PS - great name!