Sponsored by:

Which Smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 01:08 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Which Smartphone?

Right, my iPhone 3G contract finishes next week, and I'm looking at a potential replacement.
I'm thinking I may move away from Apple as I want something which can hopefully resolve the issues I have with both this phone and the 3GS:
  • Crashing when answering or making a call (yes on the latest firmware)
  • 1 day battery life (if I'm lucky)
  • Crap camera (and no flash)
  • Poor MMS support
  • Only being able to sync with one PC for iTunes music
  • No multitasking
  • No flash in Safari

And ideally it should be primarily a phone (not an iTouch with a phone as an afterthought ) and have:
  • Maps with GPS (Integrated Google maps is fine)
  • 5MP camera or better
  • At least 8GB of storage
  • A decent browser
  • Ability to sync with multiple PC's preferably by copying data!
  • Touch Screen or numeric keypad (I really don't like slide out qwerty keyboards).

I'm looking at the Sony Vivaz, Experia X10 and Nokia X6, but am also tempted to wait until HTC release their next offering (which will essentially be the Google Nexus but not badged as that).

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions?
I'm not looking for a discussion on why iPhones are better / worse than other products - I'm pretty much set on moving to something else so constructive feedback please guys and gals

Last edited by MrNoisy; 19 March 2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: .
Old 18 March 2010, 01:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which network are you on? some networks have smartphones that others dont.

Tony
Old 18 March 2010, 01:22 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Motorola MILESTONE + T-Mobile 35 Voice + Unlimited Internet (£35 Monthly, 24 Months, 1200 Mins, 500 Texts), #MILEST_VOICE2435 - eXpansys UK

I have the HTC Hero & love it, if I didn't spend every penny I have on my car I would get one of these
Everyone loves HTC's because of the excellent Android OS. The milestone comes with the latest version 2.0 Android OS. It was in huge demand when released in the US & I think expansys is the only place you can get it here in England.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:57 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Love my Nokia N97, does crash now and again but 40gb with a decent screen, camera and maps are good. Not sure on pc connectivity though.

Just seen an N9000 and looked sweet as.
Old 18 March 2010, 02:04 PM
Leaney-g
Scooby Regular

Get the iphone 3G s, it's a lot better than the others. It doesn't crash and the camera is a bit better at 3 megapixels than the last model. I know you can get 5MP camera phones, but the screen resolution isn't anywhere near as good as the iphone 3G s, so you can't properly benefit from it.

The music is easy to download whenever you want and the apps on the phone are brill.

Plus iphones hold their value more, so in 12 months times you'll be able to sell it on for quite a bit.
Old 18 March 2010, 03:06 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Leaney-g
Get the iphone 3G s, it's a lot better than the others. It doesn't crash and the camera is a bit better at 3 megapixels than the last model. I know you can get 5MP camera phones, but the screen resolution isn't anywhere near as good as the iphone 3G s, so you can't properly benefit from it.

The music is easy to download whenever you want and the apps on the phone are brill.

Plus iphones hold their value more, so in 12 months times you'll be able to sell it on for quite a bit.
That's the problem though mate - they lock you into Apple world where you can't do anything outside the AppStore - I don't like that.
The camera is unfortunately still shockingly bad and offers virtually nil functionality in comparison to a Nokia, and still no flash - you'd have thought they might have learnt!
Music is easy to download from one PC...

New phones have widescreen - Nexus / new HTC Desire runs Android 2.1 and has a far better screen than the 3GS according to iGadget etc.
This is why I'm broadening my horizons and not becoming "one of the sheep" who blindly upgrade when the 3GS is virtually no better than the 3G it replaces.

Oh and it does still crash because the guy opposite me has a 3GS and has the same problem!
Old 18 March 2010, 03:13 PM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

hi guys, new Iphone 4g maybe here by summer.. meant to be allot better.. personally I have a 3gs and yes it is a little glitchy, but I still think it works better than others I have tried..

I would wait for the new Iphone and then make up your mind..

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2010, 03:26 PM
Leaney-g
Scooby Regular

Fair play Mr Bugeye_Scoob, I guess I have had my 3G S since last June so maybe I'm a little out of touch with my gadgets.

But I still like the fact that they're still selling for nearly £400 second hand on ebay, so come upgrade time I might be able to treat myself to my new exhaust.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:01 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Arronb
Love my Nokia N97, does crash now and again but 40gb with a decent screen, camera and maps are good. Not sure on pc connectivity though.

Just seen an N9000 and looked sweet as.
Yes mate, had a play with one the other day - N900 I assume you mean though? Very good, but only trouble is it's MAHOOSIVE! It's about twice as thick as the iPhone whereas the Sony offerings are much prettier and slimmer, which is more practical if you get my drift.

I either want a vertical numeric slide out keypad or just full touch screen - I'm not a fan of the full qwerty keyboard tbh.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by brownface
Buy a Motorola MILESTONE + T-Mobile 35 Voice + Unlimited Internet (£35 Monthly, 24 Months, 1200 Mins, 500 Texts), #MILEST_VOICE2435 - eXpansys UK

I have the HTC Hero & love it, if I didn't spend every penny I have on my car I would get one of these
Everyone loves HTC's because of the excellent Android OS. The milestone comes with the latest version 2.0 Android OS. It was in huge demand when released in the US & I think expansys is the only place you can get it here in England.
Funnily enough mate, I did have that on my radar...
and it seems to be available now...
Top 10 Mobile Phones » Motorola Milestone Deals & Offers - Compare 150+ Deals
Old 18 March 2010, 05:15 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

the n900 is a nice enough phone it's big and heavy but you can live with that.

the only problem you won't be able to live with is it's typical nokia n series and although it is'nt symbian it is still sh~t.

after having 2 in the space of a week i thought oh here we go again the n series is still the same.

1st one speaker kept going quiet when having a conversation.
2nd one did not get a signal above 2 bars and never 3g.

hence i would never touch another n series.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:00 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Storm 2 on vodafone mate.

I have the original storm at the moment, The only thing it lacks is wifi (storm 2 has this)
iPhone does have a hell of a lot more apps though and the apps seem a bit pricey for th BB.

I am tempted to the iphone on my next upgrade but the fact its:
A an apple product which got slated on gadget show upon its release only then 4 months later to be voted gadget of the year by same show smells a bit fishy,
and B that it cant multi task which the Storm and storm 2 can.

Storm 2 only has 3.2mp camera though but I would of thought that good enough.

Not sure how much on board memory (maybe 8GB) it has but there is a card which I think supports upto 32gb cards

My current storm has a 3.2mp camera and the quality of them is pretty good.
Blackberry Storm 2 - The new Storm2 9520 from Vodafone

Last edited by Smurf2k; 19 March 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 18 March 2010, 09:03 PM
peat729
Scooby Newbie

Have a look at the Nokia 5800. free sat nav at the mo.
Old 19 March 2010, 12:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
the n900 is a nice enough phone it's big and heavy but you can live with that.

the only problem you won't be able to live with is it's typical nokia n series and although it is'nt symbian it is still sh~t.

after having 2 in the space of a week i thought oh here we go again the n series is still the same.

1st one speaker kept going quiet when having a conversation.
2nd one did not get a signal above 2 bars and never 3g.

hence i would never touch another n series.
I heard the same - apparently the software is buggy as hell, even though it's Linux based - probably because I believe it's the first ever OS of that type Nokia are using... Dunno about the X6 though.
Old 19 March 2010, 12:17 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
Storm 2 on vodafone mate.

I have the original storm at the moment, The only thing it lacks is wifi (storm 2 has this)
iPhone does have a hell of a lot more apps though and the apps seem a bit pricey for th BB.

I am tempted to the iphone on my next upgrade but the fact its:
A an apple product which got slated on gadget show upon its release only then 4 months later to be voted gadget of the year by same show smells a bit fishy,
and B that it cant multi task which the Storm and storm 2 can.

Storm 2 only has 3.2mp camera though but I would of thought that good enough.

Not sure how much on board memory (maybe 8GB) it has but there is a card which I think supports upto 32gb cards

My current storm has a 3.2mp camera and the quality of them is pretty good.
Blackberry Storm 2 - The new Storm2 9520 from Vodafone
Sorry dude - really not a fan of Blackberrys, and I want a 5MP+ camera - otherwise I'd just end up with the 3GS! Just personal preference you understand!
Old 19 March 2010, 12:21 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Which network are you on? some networks have smartphones that others dont.

Tony
I'm on O2 Tony but my contract is finished (as opposed to being eligible for upgrade) so I have more of a choice open to me.