Picked up new car today few questions

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2010, 10:14 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up new car today few questions

Picked up my 57 plate hawkeye sti today unsure about a few things

1. if i unlock the car and wait a min i have to lock it and unlock it again before it will start. same happens if i switch off ignition have to lock doors and unlock them before i can start it is this normal.

2. when i turn on full lock and drive slowly theres like a juddering in the steering feels strange

3. ic water spray how do i fill it up / when am i supposed to use it.

4.3rd gear is sometimes hard to enguage on when high in revs. think this could just be me not used to car to be honest
Old 16 March 2010, 10:23 PM
Flathead
Scooby Regular

If u don't start the car straight away turn the ignition on and pressing my fob once allows me to start mine on my 2000 turbo. I did the same as you till i realised how to do this.
Matt78
Scooby Regular

Well on my scoob (a classic) the car will lock itself again if I haven't opened a door 1 minute after pressing the unlock button, and the immobilser will cut in again after that time. If I am in the car or have opened the door within a minute of unlocking it but the immobilser kicks in, (say you've been filling up with fuel) I put the key in the igniton, turn it to ignition on, and press the unlock/disarm button. This turns off the immobiliser, so you don;t need to keep locking it then unlocking it.
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

can answer your 1st one.
used press the unlock button on your key again
Old 16 March 2010, 10:25 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. that the imobilere - just insert the key into the ignition and press the fob. It will disarm and the car will start

2. No clues sorry. Get them to check it under warrenty

3. the tank is in the boot. The filler is located under the flap in the boot carpet. Use it when you want. The is a dash light that comes on when the tank is getting empty

4. Gearbox is notchy especially if you are not used to it
Old 16 March 2010, 10:27 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Answers hopefully

1. Immobilzer kicks in after 30 secs once the car is unlocked and not started, turn the key to the on position in the ignition and press the button on the key once and the immobilizer light should go out and let you start the car.

2. I dont have an STI, but I believe if you have the DCCD diff set in a certain mode, this can happen as the front diff is engaged. I'm sure someone will correct me shortly if im wrong.

3. IC water Spray is in the boot on the right. Use it when the car is being driven hard and you feel the IC would benefit with a cool down.

4. Dunno about 3rd gear, perhaps drive it a bit more and you'll get used to it, took me a couple off weeks to learn to drive mine quickly.

Welcome aboard , enjoy your car, and try and keep an eye on your oil level.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:34 PM
RonnieB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tom 1

2. when i turn on full lock and drive slowly theres like a juddering in the steering feels strange
Its the DCCD and is quite normal, its the diff "knocking", supposedly doesn't do any harm but..... I always have mine set to manual, with the thumb wheel all the way back (small green square on dash christmas tree) when doing low speed maneuvering such as parking etc, stops the knocking all together .

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2010, 10:37 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

as above turn your ignition on till the dash lights come on press the button again once and it will turn off your immobiliser without locking and unlocking the doors car will then start. steering thing you mentioned i believe is not an issue it is simply your steering rack at its end point, most cars with power steering do this and it will probably make a noise too where the power steering pump is still trying to pump fluid into the already full pipe. as for the i,c spray i may be wrong but i think this is supplied by your windscreen washer bottle and should be used when driving your car hard on boost, hope this helps mate
Old 16 March 2010, 10:39 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

I have the same car i tend to use my spray in trafic i normally press it once every 3 or 4 mins mate , or as said when driving it hard on warm days or on the last cool down lap of a track day , hope this helps mate.
Old 17 March 2010, 12:24 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

As above for the immobiliser. As for intercooler spray don't let anyone fool you - it's on mine - only difference is if the radio is on and down low you might get a little interference. Power difference I know the theory but it's bollocks. You won't notice any difference.

Good luck with the car
Old 17 March 2010, 12:37 AM
Mr Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
As above for the immobiliser. As for intercooler spray don't let anyone fool you - it's on mine - only difference is if the radio is on and down low you might get a little interference. Power difference I know the theory but it's bollocks. You won't notice any difference.

Good luck with the car
Have a WRX so have no idea about how the water spray on the intercooler improves things, but I love the response.

Last edited by Mr Wagon; 17 March 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: pressed save before proof reading....duhh
Old 17 March 2010, 01:06 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Wagon
Have a WRX so have no idea about how the water spray on the intercooler improves things, but I love the response.
I thank you sir!!! trust me it's true
Old 17 March 2010, 08:26 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tom 1

1. if i unlock the car and wait a min i have to lock it and unlock it again before it will start. same happens if i switch off ignition have to lock doors and unlock them before i can start it is this normal.

4.3rd gear is sometimes hard to enguage on when high in revs. think this could just be me not used to car to be honest
1. Its a cat 1 alarm and a standard feature of cat 1 alarms is that they automatically rearm (immobiliser) after 30 seconds.

2. That will be the Driver controlled Centre differential, in auto it wont be fully open and what you are feeling is the diff winding up, switch to manual and set to the bottom green (open) and you wont get the juddering.

3. Believe someone has answered that one for you

4. Check the oil level in the gearbox, the dip stick is in the engine bay near the turbo (will show you in the manual where it is), its probably due a change if it wasnt done at the last service, and does it do it all the time or just when cold?

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 17 March 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 17 March 2010, 09:06 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

With regards to third gear, my 2005 sti used to do that for a while, more so when changing down into 3rd. Ignored it for a while until it started grinding when trying to select 3rd on the downshifts. Turned out the syncro wha knackered.
I'm not saying this is what is wrong with yours as the gearbox can feel a little notchy at slow speeds

Graeme
Old 17 March 2010, 10:27 AM
vash
Scooby Regular

I have a JDM 2005 STI

- Mine doesnt need the car locked and then unlocked.. Just blip the unlock on the fob and its good to go.

- Yep thats pretty standard for scoobies .. I always do my slow driving and parking with the DCCD set all the way back to full open. Makes things a lot less juddery I find.

- Mine has does it automatically every time I hammer down the accelerator when I activate it. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference that I can feel but a cooler Intercooler on a hot day can never be a bad thing. I always blip it before a drag too.
The bottle for mine is on the top right of the engine bay, It was in the boot on my old Uk 2003 Blobeye.

4. 3rd gear is sometimes hard to enguage on when high in revs. think this could just be me not used to car to be honest.

- Gear are usually a little notchy when cold. But I also get the same issue when doing a drag run getting into third.. Just take a tiny little bit of extra time going from 2-3rd.. The rest of the gears done seem to have that issue. If I try a really quick ****** from 2nd-3rd at around 7k it often doesn't want to go in.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:53 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help guys

I turned the diff all the way back perfect now.

and yeah press the button on the key works fine

Not had a look to see where to top up the ic water spray yet though

And im getting used to the gears a bit better now smoothness is the key.

Il think of more questions to ask soon im sure.

Oh what oil am i best using. cars going in for a service at scoobyclinic on saturday so il just want a good oil to top up with
Old 17 March 2010, 09:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, you should be good with a nice 5w40 fully synthetic in your car, you can also use a 10w40 or a 10w50, don't go above the last (hot) rating as a 60 is very thick

Tony