Sponsored by:

fuel pump failer

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 11:53 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel pump failer

hi all, last monday took the impreza(97 ver3 sti) out for a drive, but found when coming on to boost it would not boost up and would cough kick and splutter, would drive fine on light throttle and there was no engine check light decided to head for home and problem got worse until car cut out and would not restart.

towed car back to work and found fuel pump was not powering upwith the ignition switched on,so just thought the pump had given up the ghost so ordered a new 255 walbro unit, took the old pump out and thought i'd just test it on the bench but found the pump was working??? then flicked the switch on the power probe and it stopped so that was good enough for me, the new pump turned up so fitted it but when priming the pump by flicking the ignition it took 3-4 flicks of the ignition before the pump kicked in??? started car up and it runs and drives fine, just thought i'd bench test the old pump and it's working again now so not 100% sure it was the pump now!!

just wondered if anyone had had a pump fail on them and what the symptons were!!

cheers scott
Old 16 March 2010, 12:20 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I had a fuel pump problem on my 99UK car. In the end I discovered that the connectors onto the pump were iffy, which obviously isn't your problem however I was informed that there is some connectors under the rear seats that can cause intermitent fuel problems.
Possible relay issue?
Old 16 March 2010, 12:33 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

When mine went, I was cruising at a steady 55mph on a single-carriageway A-road, and there was basically a gradual loss of power in the space of around 30 seconds. I just had time to pull off onto a side-road and park up before the engine died totally.

The old pump definitely didn't spin at all when I tested it off the car later, and to complicate things slightly, the live feed from the ECU to the pump relay had somehow broken, so I had to wire-in a new one.
Old 16 March 2010, 12:43 AM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

the connector blocks and wiring under the backseats are terrible and know to break down.
have a feel under there for any dodgy or perished or crushed wires this is due to the weight of the seat and passengers on them.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:34 AM
scoobysteve2286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njberrie
the connector blocks and wiring under the backseats are terrible and know to break down.
have a feel under there for any dodgy or perished or crushed wires this is due to the weight of the seat and passengers on them.
in other words, fatties are banned from scoobys
Old 16 March 2010, 09:11 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pump fail on me when i was going round a roundabout,car just died.When i turned the ignition could not hear the pump pump priming.When it was on the bench and 12v added,pump had seized solid .If you have power going through your old pump now then it may be on its way out as mine did this several times(cut out ,then be ok 15 mins later) ,before it finally gave up the ghost.If this happens with your new pump fitted would be tempted to check the fuel pump relay.

Last edited by midnight; 16 March 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 16 March 2010, 09:16 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

i have a V4 Sti and sometimes have to turn the ignition key on and off a few times before the fuel pump kicks.

I am told its the relay thats sticking? not sure how true that is or not but maybe worth looking in to!!!