Sponsored by:

2007 STI Kenwood head unit GX-401EF2 -- CA-C2AX -- iphone

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 11:10 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 STI Kenwood head unit GX-401EF2 -- CA-C2AX -- iphone

This is a last ditch attempt to see if there is anybody out there that knows anything about this install. I’ve tried “Ice” in the past but with no result so I’m trying “General” to reach as many eyeballs as possible even though it is a specific topic…

I have completed the install of Kenwood original product Cable CA-C2AX which should interface any MP3 player from its stereo out jack to the cd changer port on the back of the standard 2007 STI Kenwood head unit GX-401EF2. I want to get the music from my iphone but that’s irrelevant as it could be any MP3 player. I don’t have access to the iphone system connector and am not interested in controlling the iphone from the h/u, hence the selection of the CA-C2AX and not the kcaip500, which will give you full control of the ipod through the system connector and is a lot more expensive.

The head unit will not switch to cd changer to provide the signal input from the iphone. I’ve learned that standard Kenwood h/u’s require a 10ohm resistor to be shorted across pins 3 & 9 of the cd changer connector. However this doesn’t work on the Subaru/Kenwood h/u. I have tried to find which two pins on the Subaru unit require shorting with a 10ohm resistor in order to give a change signal but no combination will allow the switch to changer - (I have shorted every combination), phew.

So has anybody managed to get this combination to work? It’s frustrating, as I know all I need to find is how to give the unit the instruction to switch to changer, but it just won’t cooperate!

Waste of time speaking to Subaru or Kenwood.

Old 15 March 2010, 11:25 PM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i have just gone back to the original unit from dvd and added a changer
used the normal wiring and it all just worked no problem.

I might have read it wrong but are you trying to add a 3rd party mp3 ??
Old 16 March 2010, 08:59 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Yes I'm adding an iphone. It could be any MP3 player as I'm taking the signal from the stereo jack socket rather than the iphone system connector.

Apparently all Kenwood head units detect the presence of a cd multi changer by detecting the presence of a 10 ohm resistor across pins 3 & 9 of the incoming cable. However this does not work on the Subaru unit. According to Subaru UK only a Subaru supplied cd multi changer can work with the Subaru head unit.

http://nodivisions.com/tech/kenwood_aux_adapter/

Last edited by Geds; 16 March 2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:23 PM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

Well i bought a standard changer of ebay which was kenwood and plugged it in and its working fine now problems at all so subaru are talking **** matey.

not sure about plugging in anything else mind
Old 17 March 2010, 09:06 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Think I'll write to these guys at No Divisions to see if they can gleam any info. They seem to know this stuff inside out.
Old 03 June 2013, 08:27 AM
przemu
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

do you have any new information. I have emailed Kenwood and they told me, that this head unit was designed specifically for Subaru and it does not understand Kenwood's audio path - it is not compatible with Kenwood's cables and adapters (KCA-IP500).

Do you know, whether it is just a matter of informing the device, whether CD Changer is connected or this is a complete different protocol?

Have you found some other adapters, that will work?
Old 03 June 2013, 10:56 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by przemu
Hi,

do you have any new information. I have emailed Kenwood and they told me, that this head unit was designed specifically for Subaru and it does not understand Kenwood's audio path - it is not compatible with Kenwood's cables and adapters (KCA-IP500).

Do you know, whether it is just a matter of informing the device, whether CD Changer is connected or this is a complete different protocol?

Have you found some other adapters, that will work?
All I can confirm is that the Kenwood cable CA-C2AX does not work. Nor does the 10ohm resistor trick. I never got this working. It seems to me the only option is to upgrade the head unit to something more modern. I never got the chance to try an actual Kenwood CD changer like Doormatty.

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2013, 11:42 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

You are making a rod for your own back, if you wanna listen to music on you iphone get a parrot mki9100 and a sot cable, job done been running one of these in my last 2 cars for years
Old 03 June 2013, 12:04 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

I had the exact same issue. The only way to do it is with the KCA-IP500. I found one on gumtree for about £20. The Kenwood cable does not work. The KCA is more than a cable, it's actually a little box with some sort of software that allows the cable and iPod to interface with the stereo. Note that the KCA does not have a 3.5mm jack and will only plug in to iPods/iPhones.
Old 03 June 2013, 12:10 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I guess this may work with an iPhone too?
https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/6648...ereo-done.html
Old 03 June 2013, 02:07 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

I've always used iPhone specific stereos for this exact reason. (and is the reason I have 2 iPhone Pioneer stereos laying around! )

I've tried "modding" stereos in the past with little/no success buddy, so my advice would be to give up unless you're planning on opening up the stereo to mod the board directly. (Done some of this in the past too...)
Old 03 June 2013, 02:19 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
I guess this may work with an iPhone too?
https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/6648...ereo-done.html
Yep, that's the KCA-IP500. Don't buy it brand new, it's stupidly expensive.