Sponsored by:

Pot Holes, had enough now

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 09:09 PM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pot Holes, had enough now

I rarely post a moan on here, but I am absolutely sick of british roads. I live just outside Sheffield and it is a absolute joke.

I literally have to drive 5mph to get out of my housing estate due to loads of potholes scattered every where and they seem to be getting bigger and deeper. I know the bad weather has had a massive impact on the roads but still what do you pay your road tax, council tax for.

I have rang my local council about 3 times over last week as they are really going to cause damage and could easily cause a blow out if you was going the speed limit of 30mph. They just don't seem to care at all.

Does some have to get hurt before the councils/government will actually do something about them. I am for ever claiming for damages, and yes the council pay out. After months and months of hassle but I am sick of it.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:13 PM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Well said mate and i agree 1000 percent uk roads are an absoloute joke!
Old 14 March 2010, 09:20 PM
jh1
Scooby Regular

completely agree!
Old 14 March 2010, 09:23 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

they can sod off if they think they are getting my 400 quid for tax at the end of the month,I'm also in south yorkshire.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:25 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do what i did in my old estate . can of spray circle the pothole and add the words £210.00 per year bargain 4x4 track . the holes where fixed inside a week with door to door enquires as to who done it .
Old 14 March 2010, 09:29 PM
Trevcoss
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Simtek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

I had an American visitor in the car last week and happened to mention that the roads where in a huge mess and how annoying it was, he then told me he would give his left arm for roads in as good a condition as ours and that they where brilliant compared to the roads in the part of the US he lives. I do tend to agree that they are in a mess but the unusually cold weather does seem to have had a significant and well above average impact this year so im not supprised that its taking a few months to get on top of it.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:34 PM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

Well my idea is to write a letter to council and MP's office. May include this post if enough people comment on it. My step dad came of his bike over Christmas due to a pot hole. Council have declined pay out, was not looking for anything other than damages to bike.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:36 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

Your not moaning when everyone agrees with you m8

Hate them too
Old 14 March 2010, 09:45 PM
speights
Scooby Regular

Hi
Warwickshire roads are also bad but we also have pikeys nicking manhole covers for scrap seen a guy rip his front wheel off in manhole with no lid
Old 14 March 2010, 09:47 PM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

same here for nicking manholes. Council are not replacing they are just putting cones over them. Lol. How much can a manhole be worth. A tenner if that?
Old 14 March 2010, 09:59 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more, the state & amount of pot-holes is ridiculous.
The council/highway department don't appear to be making any repairs either!
Old 14 March 2010, 10:08 PM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

I totally agree. There were around 10 in the space of 4 square yards at the end of my road, they filled in 4 and left the other six? er....did they get tired? did the bell go?...

Problem is the government arn't going to fork out any more money...they have stated that they already give the local councils a budget for road repair and so it's down to the indivdual councils to spend that 'wisley'.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:08 PM
speights
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IggyRB320
Couldn't agree more, the state & amount of pot-holes is ridiculous.
The council/highway department don't appear to be making any repairs either!
There used to be three council depots round here now only one just not enough guys to do repairs quickly any more.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:17 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Default pot holes in roads

Originally Posted by madscoob
do what i did in my old estate . can of spray circle the pothole and add the words £210.00 per year bargain 4x4 track . the holes where fixed inside a week with door to door enquires as to who done it .
people are spaying in the road now where my mother lives and sticking signs up on the lamp posts good idea imo ,thinking about doing the same down our road they are getting so deep its a real joke and so are the local councils ,
Old 14 March 2010, 10:19 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Roads in Gloucestershire are really bad.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:41 PM
motofox
Scooby Regular

Derby and Nottingham are just the same,if its not F in speed humps its pot holes,cant see ANY council rushing to repair them tho as it does slow traffic and saves them having to pay for speed humps,just a shame it dont reflect on the price we pay for road tax,just another typical rip off..
Old 14 March 2010, 11:00 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

We have had a road which was rather bad. After the residents had complained, council agreed to resurface the whole road. The council gave the residents two months notice to move their cars so they can do the job.
But the residents who was peed of with potholes couldn't be bothered to move there cars. So the road is now only half done.

But it is rediculous the way roads are. You pay all this road tax to go into councils pockets.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:14 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Well have to agree, thats probbibly the reason i bought a subaru had a BMW coupe with M Tec suspenion 2 sets of rear springs in 3 years at £180 a pair and my wifes Corsa needs springs every other MOT. Its 2.5 years and 30k miles no springs, but will be fitting prodrive ones. Ironic I will be fitting for upgrade not cause they are broken . The joys of a Suabru you replace things before they are worn out

Last edited by daviee; 14 March 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:17 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

I hit a pothole in Stockport a few weeks ago and i honestly thought the front strut was gonna come though the bonnet. I hit it doing about 30 didnt see it as the road lamp was out and after going back even if i had of seen it i would of had to go onto the other side of the road to miss it into oncoming traffic. I thought it hadnt done any damage at first but after taking off my wheels last weekend to fit some new brakes i noticed that the front nearside wheel has a big dent on the inside rim. Im pretty pissed off about it but what can i do???? I sent the local council an email when it happened but they never got back to me. I am planning to get my bike back on the road next weekend and praying i dont hit one on that or reckon i will end up in hospital
Old 14 March 2010, 11:27 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotherham here
Don't make any difference how bad the weather is, if the roads was in good order to start with, then we would'nt get pot holes when snow and ice form.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:27 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Something like 2% of your road tax get used to repair & maintain the roads. Thats why there are all the pot holes. You need to come to Edinburgh and see what they are doing to the roads here. They are trying to lay down tramlines LOL. Ex amount of billions of pounds for only one line. Now thats ridiculous when we have an award winning bus service, that i have never been on
Old 15 March 2010, 10:35 AM
carlpcross
Scooby Regular

i hit a massive pothole in stockport on sat night, is was at the quick fit roundabout, just down the road from debenhams. done a quick inspection and all seems well, going to take the wheel and have a better look tommorrow.

Originally Posted by VTR steve
I hit a pothole in Stockport a few weeks ago and i honestly thought the front strut was gonna come though the bonnet. I hit it doing about 30 didnt see it as the road lamp was out and after going back even if i had of seen it i would of had to go onto the other side of the road to miss it into oncoming traffic. I thought it hadnt done any damage at first but after taking off my wheels last weekend to fit some new brakes i noticed that the front nearside wheel has a big dent on the inside rim. Im pretty pissed off about it but what can i do???? I sent the local council an email when it happened but they never got back to me. I am planning to get my bike back on the road next weekend and praying i dont hit one on that or reckon i will end up in hospital
Old 15 March 2010, 01:06 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Dig up all the friggin speed humps and use them to fill the pot holes, job done.
Old 15 March 2010, 01:51 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Dig up all the friggin speed humps and use them to fill the pot holes, job done.
Thats a great idea!

Potholes getting worse all the time round my way (Ayrshire). Seems they have time & resources to put up new speed limit signs, speed bumps etc, but none to fix existing problems like potholes, street lighting etc.

Road up to my parents' place is a total joke, I was thinking about buying an old range rover just to visit them, its so bad.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:19 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get online to your council website and report them online using the map. They have to act on them and if they dont you stand a better chance of claiming for damage. Im in the process of claiming for a new wheel, tyre and alignment!

Potholes.co.uk - How to claim