"open alignment"

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2002, 12:12 PM
cico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry M8, already posted on DRIVETRAIN but got no answers there: pleaze!! :
Hi M8,
I went to check the alignment today and the guy suggested me to try an open alignment ( 0.6 per side ) only on the front wheels, and so he went ahead...
this afternoon i had a run on a mountain road to try it but...a real s..t: the car was understeering when pulling hard in cornersthe opposite of what i thought) i'd come back to my original idea ( 0.0 per side ).
What do you think of it : how do you regulate it on yours?
By the way i heard talking of some Prodrive suggestions about alignment ????
Cico
Old 24 March 2002, 10:26 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Hi Cico,
Try here for your alignment settings
http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#2.1
Regards
Simon
Ps Who told you to put toe OUT on the front wheels?????
Please dont take their advice again,they obviously dont have a clue about setting a car up!

[Edited by simonzzr - 3/24/2002 10:28:21 PM]

[Edited by simonzzr - 3/24/2002 10:29:01 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 03:29 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Hi Cico,

Assuming you ARE talking about toe angle (hopefully you wouldn't consider running a zero camber on the front - although that would definitely explain the understeer!) then a bit of toe-out should indeed help the turn-in. Maybe the alignment gear isn't properly calibrated at the place you went to, that would explain things.

I would suggest going to a different alignment place, getting the current settings checked and then working from there.

Simon, I think you are talking about toe-out on the REAR wheels, which will make the rear unstable. A lot of people run toe-out on the front, although it is a slightly more hairy-**** setup since it results in less straight-line stability and more bite into turns (and hence opportunity to shake the tail).

HTH

-= mike =-
Old 25 March 2002, 06:45 PM
cico
Scooby Regular

sorry i'm not talking about camber:
For open alignment i mean front wheels \-/ not /-\ (0.6 mm)
For toe out you mean \-/ or /-\ ?
sorry but i don't have a specific knowledge.
anyway with \-/ the car understeers when pulling really really hard: it seems a FWD and it looses the AWD effect, you don't feel anymore the traction on the rear and you're forced to pull-up your right foot and to correct with the steering and this didn't happen with previous setting ( 0.0 mm ) |-| .
i thought it wouldn't be so important !
Old 26 March 2002, 12:54 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hi Cico,

That would be right if the car in your diagrams is pointing towards the top of the page. Toe-out means that the wheels point outwards while toe-in means they point inwards, like the feet of someone who needs the bathroom really badly! I think toe-out is the same as your open alignment.

What you describe doesn't sound right for toe-out. Also, do you mean 0.6mm or 0.6cm? I don't think 0.6mm would be noticeable, in fact if you got the alignment set to 0 and then went for a drive it would probably move by more than that anyway. I would suspect that something else has changed, perhaps even your front tyres are getting worn.

-= mike =-
Old 26 March 2002, 01:18 PM
cico
Scooby Regular

It's 0.6 mm toe out (now i understand the meaning of this 2 words !! thanks for teaching!! ).
i found a 1 year-old alignment report and on the front it says : 0.2 mm toe in so i think i'll go back to that setting.
the tyres are still good (S-03 pp)
hope to solve the problem...otherwise i'll call your advice again!!
tks M8