Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Forgot How Soothing Scoobynet was!

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2010, 05:34 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot How Soothing Scoobynet was!

After recently purchasing my second Scoob after a gap of 6 yrs. I had tended to have forgotten., the usefulness of Scoobynet in calming fears and rectifying perceived and real faults.

I got my car just over a month ago. '06 STI ppp. And to be honest had commented earlier that I was somewhat underwhelmed by the "Driving Feel" of the Newer Impreza.

Anyways. I found that the Tyres fitted to the car Goodyear F1 GSd3s. (Which I had fitted to my old STI 5 Type R). Didn't cut it with this car. So a search of Scoobynet and 4 new Vredestein Ultrac sessantas are now on.

Decided to change front pads and discs. Dealer, quoted me £650 for fitting Blueprint discs and standard pads. Managed to get Brembo drilled discs and Brembo pads for £413. (My 10 yr old son could fit them. )

More importantly. I was astonished at the amount of oil the engine was going through. Again a quick search on Scoobynet. Has calmed my fears. Appears that although alarming consumption is not unusual/unique.
So stocking up on "Topup" oil.

Nice to be back.(And aren't there are far more "Big power Scoobs" out there now.. I thought there was a recession on.).

Anyways. Thanks to the community. I am a much happier owner.
Old 07 March 2010, 05:46 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

I'm about to stick some vreddy sessantas on my newage STI - big improvement for you was there ? I have bridgestone re070's and not a fan to be honest..
Old 07 March 2010, 06:07 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

same here got some 235/40/18 on there way in post hopefully get em monday or tuesday,cant wait as i have heard so many good things about them
Old 07 March 2010, 07:00 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baldfox
I'm about to stick some vreddy sessantas on my newage STI - big improvement for you was there ? I have bridgestone re070's and not a fan to be honest..
Only got them fitted yesterday.But Hey!.

1) They are much quieter Than the Goodyears.(Never had Bridgestones Ever.)

2) You can feel where the front tyres are pointing.

3)Wear characteristics are apparently encouraging.

4)You get a bizarre tread pattern

5)They are much cheaper than the other performance options.

6)What's not to like?
Old 07 March 2010, 07:01 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

my mate has a standard WRX, and his seems to stick to the road way better than mine... I know there's less power than an STI so less chance of him pushing it wider through power, but his grip levels in the wet were the reason I bought my STI (both got newage's)... he's got goodyear XXX on his, I was never a fan of my potenza's... everyone tell's you they're awesome in the dry, but to be honest in dry summer weather on the roads, you're going to have to be seriously booting it for potenza's to be clearly outshining such and such a make, and on the roads am thinking this isn't going to be too clever re coppers - or am I missing the point ?!?!
Old 07 March 2010, 07:31 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

TBH. baldfox. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with a tyre. Goodyear GSd3s were the tyre of choice for me. 6yrs ago, on a classic. But now having the "Newage" 2.5lt STI. I find that the sidewalls of the Goodyears are too thin.(I know this because i managed to f**k all 4 banging over a kerb, back in 2005

The Vreddies.(As we will call them.. Ahem.) are of a higher load rating 94(XL) as oppossed to 91 of the Goodyears. Therefore better suited to the heavier "Newage" cars.