ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

newage 50k service

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2010, 12:48 PM
martinwrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newage 50k service

Hi guys i have a 2005 05 wrx and soon due it's 50k service which is oil and filter plus cambelt. Spoken to David at API and recommends a oil pump change due to failure of the original one fitted ? Anyone aware of this problem or am i just been ripped off ?
Old 05 March 2010, 01:08 PM
attwood02
Scooby Regular

heard its a problem. spoke to my garage as mine is also due for a service and he said they do the oil pump at the same time if you want as the cam belt as an old belt tends to have the timing marks worn off thus makinging it near im posible to refit the old belt correctly.hope this helps
Old 06 March 2010, 02:24 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In our case it is not that the timing marks are a problem but that the rear cover plate of the oil pump works loose over time and whilst it is not often loose at the 50,K service. it usually is loose at the next cam belt change.

We recommend early action, stitch in time if you like.

APi doesn't rip off customers it tends to get talked about on forums..................

David
Old 06 March 2010, 04:36 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
In our case it is not that the timing marks are a problem but that the rear cover plate of the oil pump works loose over time and whilst it is not often loose at the 50,K service. it usually is loose at the next cam belt change.

We recommend early action, stitch in time if you like.

APi doesn't rip off customers it tends to get talked about on forums..................

David

Never heard a bad word about API on here or anywhere in the 5 years i've owned a Subaru. I have however read lots of FREE honest advice.

Aaron
Old 06 March 2010, 07:52 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If API Recommend replacing it then do it dont think about it, They are a reputable company who dont rip anyone off..
Old 07 March 2010, 12:28 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

martinwrx - The hard thing for people like us to understand is honest advice, sometimes. I have an 03 WRX, but mine is coming up to it's second cambelt change this year. Whilst i have read other threads on here about this before, I was extremely sceptical myself about having to change the oil pump. Having read the thread, having dealt with David once myself, having read all the feedback on here, I for one do not think David is trying to rip you off in anyway at all. He is giving you an honest opinion on what could happen. Take my case when i had my first cambelt at 50k miles, RCM advised me my tensioner was everso slighlty weeping, was ok, but could fail. Not WILL fail, but COULD. David is saying the same. It is better to act before than have to suffer later on. Suffice to say, i followed the advice i had and a new tensioner and other rollers was duly fitted. Would mine have failed? Who knows, i never found out!
Would your oil pump come loose and fail? I hope you never find out too!
But one thing is for sure, David does give out a lot of free and honest advice, and that is worth listening too imho.
Old 11 March 2010, 12:41 PM
martinwrx
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for all the advice much appreciated and to API David hope no offence caused just dont understand cars much just drive them. Never for one minute was i trying to cripple your reputation just know alot of people know and use you on here on a personal level.
Old 08 January 2018, 01:23 PM
smudge2031
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by martinwrx
Thank you for all the advice much appreciated and to API David hope no offence caused just dont understand cars much just drive them. Never for one minute was i trying to cripple your reputation just know alot of people know and use you on here on a personal level.
Hi Martinwrx iis it true you may have a version 2 sti cooler for sale? cheers