Sponsored by:

Hi, New

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2010, 12:02 PM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, New

Alright dudes, rather new to the Subaru game so just like any usual newbie few questions.

I have had 3 Subaru's in the past, all 3 were owned by the car dealership i worked for at the time but was able to keep hold of them as demo's for a rather long time. 1 of them was a rather excellent WR1 (which I had longest 6 months), 1 was bug eye STI and 1 was a classic shape Impreza Turbo. All cars were standard as they were always up for sale by the dealership.

So have had my fair share of driving them and know my mods as have owned turbo charged and performance cars, countless RS, cossies, had couple of Evo's and car ive just sold was e39 M5 and have had 3 of them. Might be bad word to say round here but basically a Beemer man.

Anyway stop blabbing, and get down to what i am needing to know.

Basically i am hopefully picking up a classic shape (between 98 - 01) Impreza soon. A lot of the cars im looking at seem to be in good shape but its more about the stuff thats on them or lack of things on them that im curious about. We all have our individual tastes and i am of the subtle variety i am really not in to badging writing or decals whatsoever, plus garish shiny wheels, also despise window tints so it seems what ever car i buy il be taking a lot off replacing it or removing it completely.

Ive seen classic shape Impreza's running 18's. Do these require mods to get them under there? Also if they dont are you able to fit 225/40/18 tyre to them without fouling? As I have had 215/35/18 on cars before and there just to thin for our bashed roads, especially if running coilovers or stiffer set up.

Also ive seen a lot of cars without turbo timers, its something id be looking to do and get installed if i was to buy a car without one. Is it an expensive job to get one fitted? ive seen a lot of Impreza boys with these Clicky!

Ive heard stories that your car wont lock and arm if the engines running? Someone can still get in your car even though you've locked and armed it whilst turbo timer is still running? It plays havoc with ECU's? You can lock your car but your alarm doesn't arm? Anybody good to clear me up on this?

I do quite like the Sti 6 spoiler, any descent aftermarket versions? basically something that's not cheap made? Or does it matter? Just dont want something to look bad quality compared to the bumpers if you know what I mean?

Also is there a place you can get the standard facelift grill? or is that a Subaru only shot? Anybody know what money they are?

To be honest with you thats about it. Got rough idea what im looking for mechanically bodywork wise just those bits and the timer i need help with

Much Obliged!
Old 04 March 2010, 01:44 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Think the timer depends on the alarm mine works with my toad aftermarket thats was already fitted when i got it but try asking in the car audio and security section for more details
on my apexi timer its wired into the handbrake switch so if you release it the car cuts off
spoiler wise try some of the big breakers like grade A or jap performance they should have a grill too or try the classifieds for someone breaking one scoobyworlds spoilers are top qaulity tho
Old 04 March 2010, 02:07 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

to get 18s on a classic its better to run 215.35.18s
Old 04 March 2010, 02:40 PM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

Had 18's with 225/40/18's on my classic and they were fine until you put it into a fast corner, then they did rub , 225/35/18's no problem