Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to stay with Subaru .... but ....

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2010, 05:06 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I want to stay with Subaru .... but ....

... it's very difficult ...

Looked at the WRX and WRXS ... boot room is pathetic, yes I know it has a rear axle and I know I'm not supposed to be sensible when thinking about an Impreza ..... but, lets look at what these cars actually are these days.

It's a HatchBack - I don't mind that, the WRXS looks great on its Anthracite wheels and with its STi bits and bobs. It's fast, no doubt. It's a bit wallowy/soft. It's £21,450, it's got no boot worth speaking of. Yet still I want to want one!

Looked at the Focus RS ... nice, bucket seats would be a real issue for my bottom though ... and £26000 or thereabouts. But great boot space!

Looked at the Astra and Mazda 3 MPS .... decent boots, decent power - about £20,000 before haggling. But a bit 'kiddie' for an old git like me?

Just come back from accidentally wandering into a Skoda dealership ... oh, dear!! Did you know that the Octavia vRS looks like a Saloon, but actually is a hatchback with a HUGE boot space? Cos I didn't!!

The Skoda vRS comes in a Diesel or Petrol - the diesel returns 61mpg on a run The petrol is an impressive 48mpg Road Tax is £125 for the Diesel and £175 for the petrol .... the Impreza is, what? £405 each and every year (and we just know that the next budget will see that hiked to around £600 ... or more!).

The Skoda vRS Petrol with 200BHP is now available at £16,283 - before any haggling! The Skoda salesman also offered me a vRS Diesel, 2007, for a screen price of £10,000 (that's £9250 after I get to work) with 1 year warranty ........ how the hell can you argue against those figures?

So, yes, I really would like an Impreza Hatchback - probably a WRXS .... but at £21,500 and £405 a year tax and 20mpg and tiny boot and with residuals falling through the floor ..... surely I would be completely mad to do so?

Unless, of course, you know better?
Old 19 February 2010, 05:23 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I use my modded Spec D as an everyday work horse (kids and Work) and to be honest its not really practicable doable but not practicable, high insurance , high servicing bad mpg etc etc.. but I wouldn't change it at the moment because I love to use it as a fast road toy as well. If you look at cars as you are (practicability) then yes why wouldn't you go for the Skoda it makes more sense.
Old 19 February 2010, 05:30 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

It really pains me to be driven away from the Subaru ... it's a brand I feel a lot for, my car has not put a foot wrong and I assume the new Subaru cars would be as reliable (I will not be messing with them).

It just doesn't stack up on any intelligent level anymore ... mpg, servicing costs, residual values being hit hard, high tax. Had it had some boot space I could 'probably' overlook the rest .....

I guess the real answer is just keep mine and keep my money in the bank earning diddly!
Old 19 February 2010, 05:42 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I've been in 2 Subaru dealerships today to get a p/x price and I was even sat in the WRX-s in one of the dealers and it was very nice. One of the dealers was a complete muppet as he offered me the car if I signed up there and then for 22.4k on the road despite the rrp on subaru website being 21.2k. He also told me there were no deals to be had as they were selling like hot cakes due to limited numbers and he couldn't even get one as a demo car. Has anyone actually seen one on the road. The only problem was that the muppet actually offered my 1.5k more for my car than the other dealer.
Old 19 February 2010, 05:44 PM
porteouz
Scooby Regular

Id be surprised if you were as happy with any of them except the focus RS as you would be with subaru tbh. The Astra in my opinion is awful, a mate at work has a skoda octavia Vrs and while it is well finished gets good mpg and is pretty quick its a car that just doesnt do it for me. Its so plain and 'normal looking'. As for the mazda 3 mps im not sure, Looks like a good car and from what i hear pretty reliable etc but none of the cars ive mentioned will handle like a scooby I dont think. The focus is the only one id seriously think about.
Old 19 February 2010, 05:45 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

The Skoda is a very nice car. And no doubt the best choice of the VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda brigade.

As a car, the vRS will keep you happy.

But as a toy, only the Impreza will do.

Either way, I would understand if you bought the Skoda. It is good value and good car :-)
Old 19 February 2010, 05:51 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Buy the skoda and get a cheap scooby either a nice classic or a bugly newage
thats what i would do
Old 19 February 2010, 06:35 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

When you see cars like this,the recently facelifted VRS

2009 SKODA OCTAVIA 2.0T FSI VRS 5dr Hatchback

it makes you realise how expensive the current WRx S is. I'll be looking at one of these or a Seat Leon Cupra of some sort....

Last edited by s70rjw; 19 February 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 19 February 2010, 06:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

What Subaru need is a Petrol, direct injection engine. To help lower emissions and aid part throttle economy. Thing is, I don't think short stroke and massive diameter pistons help. As I understand it, compact combustion chambers are required to accurately manage ignition and achieve a reliable burn.

J.
Old 19 February 2010, 06:57 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am in the same boat, Should I need to get a new company car this year it wont be an Impreza, The RS makes more sense, Audi A5 looks better and a Golf GTi will hold its value better.
It is annoying as I would love Subaru to go back to the saloon style rockets but its not going to happen, and will have to do something special to get my business back.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:01 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clark822
Buy the skoda and get a cheap scooby either a nice classic or a bugly newage
thats what i would do
I have a nice Classic, one owner I would keep it, but space is running out with 4 cars and a camper being stored at home ... just room for one more vehicle.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:05 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
When you see cars like this,the recently facelifted VRS

2009 SKODA OCTAVIA 2.0T FSI VRS 5dr Hatchback

it makes you realise how expensive the current WRx S is. I'll be looking at one of these or a Seat Leon Cupra of some sort....
It's really difficult, isn't it?

The car pictured is £16,283 OTR - before haggling for extra off, or further enhancements ..... shockingly good value and a no-brainer really?
Old 19 February 2010, 07:09 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

The car pictured is £16,283 OTR - before haggling for extra off, or further enhancements ..... shockingly good value and a no-brainer really?

so why dont you get the most you can off the vrs and buy a classic wrx job done best of both worlds
Old 19 February 2010, 07:15 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

As said above, I have a Classic!!! A UK Classic, not a WRX Import, granted.

Space is at a premium at home (I'm also looking at a new MX5).
Old 19 February 2010, 07:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Yep, it certainly is a no brainer.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:35 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

The focus rs has really grown on me, the green one not so much. The st in orange never did it for me but the blue or white is stunning.
I have seen two on the wirral and they look so impressive they have a real presence about them and wide stance.
The mazda got a great write up when 1st came out. I remember top gear saying why buy a 318 bmw for the same price as the mazda, not only was the mazda quicker, more comfortable and more economical it was better value!
The astra is a bit marmite for some the ride is meant to be very harsh, but if the image is not for you then it's a non contender.
What about the Golf R32? good all rounder if something a bit bigger the passat coupe look a nice quality motor but wouldn't have the power of the above.

Last edited by graeme jones; 19 February 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:36 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

I must admit driving an impreza isnt allways going to be a proud thing to do these days ,with all the little ********* with their irritating chav horns etc doing laps of the town centre ,but a skoda you must be kidding.Doesnt help either being shafted on road tax then again on fuel,i have an idea though why dont you sell all other vehicles you own.simples.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:51 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

you could buy a lancer 2.0 gs3 59 reg for around 14k there a good car
Old 19 February 2010, 08:10 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

What about a nice hawkeye? Stay with the brand and keep the bootspace.
Old 19 February 2010, 08:11 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Buy a low mileage, well cared for hawkeye STi. Impreza + Saloon + modern + I have one for sale

Seriously though, you'll pick up a better car than the WRXS for around £13-£15k.
Old 19 February 2010, 08:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, Legacy

Tony
Old 19 February 2010, 09:58 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Thanks all .... Legacy, hmmmmmmm, I'm old but not that old!!

I did think of a Hawkeye Wagon - but I like the look of the Blob Eye better ..... however, the reason I bought new 10 years ago, was so that I knew exactly how the car I owned was run-in ..... I was meticulous about running mine in and I believe it has/is paying dividends now in its final years. How would I know what I bought was treated as I treat mine?

Golf R32? Yes, I know .... maybe the one I should seriously look at - but, I am not a Golf Driver - you know what I mean .... ?? But I may take a look at one, Golfs hold their value.

Or, it could be that in 12 months I can pick up a WRX-S for £12,000? And at that price I could take a chance? I cannot help but believe the values will fall something chronic when the new government budget is announced and these £405 Road Tax cars are smacked hard.

Just imagine a £5000 Impreza with annual road tax at, say, £750? It doesn't bear thinking about!
Old 19 February 2010, 11:48 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

When you look back at motorpoint 8 months ago when they were selling off some euro wrxs at 13k they were good value for money
vrs excellent car I ran a L&K octavia for 6 years 72 k miles and it was a fantastic long distance cruiser 17k list paid 13k brand new traded in for 4k against my wrxd
great car the skoda but I feel 20 years younger driving the scooby and that to me is worth a few grand more and many many smiles
Old 20 February 2010, 11:13 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As said above, I have a Classic!!! A UK Classic, not a WRX Import, granted.

Space is at a premium at home (I'm also looking at a new MX5).
Pete, if you can get over the "hairdresser" image the little Mixer is a awesome toy. Hugely rated by true motoring types. I had a Mk2.5 1.8 Sport with a 6 speed, LSD's, Bilstein's and full leather. Parts are cheap and they are very reliable.

Mk3's are now down to sub £10 at dealers with Warranties. Go and have a look.
Old 20 February 2010, 11:33 AM
SCOOBY13.5
Scooby Regular

I did think of a Hawkeye Wagon - but I like the look of the Blob Eye better ..... however, the reason I bought new 10 years ago, was so that I knew exactly how the car I owned was run-in ..... I was meticulous about running mine in and I believe it has/is paying dividends now in its final years. How would I know what I bought was treated as I treat mine?

If you would want a car like described in your quote above I wouldnt look any further than Mikkels. That car is immaculte and is so cared for its unreal, but its a hawkeye which you prefer a Blobeye, but I would give it some serious consideration. I just dont have the money yet!

Steve
Old 20 February 2010, 11:38 AM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

ive got a feeling that the hatchback will soon get a serious makeover. remember the bugeye - had such an impact on NCS that they hastily revamped it.

the hatch (as nice looking as it is) has been commercial suicide for subaru. its not that fast (apart from the 330s), its impractical, its poor on fuel, its expensive to insure and tax and serving schedules are way out for madern machinery.

I think the only buyers are die hard subaru fans desperately trying to find a reason to beleive in the good old days. Alas no more. tech has progressed massively and subaru seem to be repackaging old news i'm afraid.

As tempting as a VRS may look - its just that bloody badge and image that ruin it for me - small minded i admit, but i do need to feel some emotion with a car and for the VRS there is nothing coming through.

Sunnysideup - i have a GB270 wagon and can recommend one if you can find one. OK the running costs are no better but depreciation will be OK and in my opinion they look great. still have a sporty edge, good tuning potential but under the radar enough for oldies like us. I have a classic too and the wifes BMW X3 so all bases covered. You can have your classic for weeknd fun, the wagon for everyday smoking around with the practicality. I am in cheshire so if you are close you can come and have a look if you like.

Matt

Last edited by Off Your Marks; 20 February 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 20 February 2010, 11:59 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I bet the hatch won't have a serious makeover anytime soon! Manufacturers are making models last longer and only minor comestic changes are being made every two years now, to cut costs.

Nobody likes change, but what has REALLY hit the Subaru Impreza sales big time is not the shape, but the issues with not performing in WRC, then falling off the WRC and then that has been compounded by the recession. The fact is every dog has it's day and perhaps that day has passed for Subaru..... who knows.

Pete,
If you start bringing "sense" in to things then an Impreza hardly makes sense at all, regardless of the model. This specific marque of car is quite emotive as a reason to buy.

Of course, whilst a Skoda may seem sensible.... sensible can be seen as boring (which is fine) and in the Skoda's case, you can't get away from the fact that a Skoda is a Skoda and will always be a Skoda. Regardless of who builds it or where the base parts are donated from. Skoda's are the lowest VAG marque and everyone knows it.... if that does not bother you, then fill your boots.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:06 PM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

guys i have a fully modded TFSI vRS and am planning to swap to an impreza. ignore the badge of the car. it is a fantastic car. the interior is years ahead of anything you get in the impreza, my car is 280Hp and i can average 30mpg and on a motorway cruise i can also hit 39mpg. if you get a bolt on K04 turbo you will be oushing past 350Hp on standard internals with no problems at all. strong tunable engines with the limiting factor being the turbo not the block.

Why am i changing. well i love my car and have done everything to the enginechassis that you can pretty much get but the only way i getting past 280hp now is with a turbo conversion whichj i dont want to do.

hence why im looking for an STI with a decent base power and block to tune +- 350Hp.

if you ignore 0-60 times which IMO are pub talk, unless youa re into traffic light gran prix or 1/4 miles on the road my car is quicker than an standard STI.

my previous cars include a focus ST, and a type R yet this is way better. but ive got that impreza itch to scratch, its always been there.

stage 2 standard turbo

stage 2+ standard turbo

stage 3 (Audi S3 turbo)

and believe me peole hate it when you give them a pasting in a skoda. people expect an impreza to be quick,

Last edited by vRSy; 20 February 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:09 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Mitsi EVO - it's the only way to go...... anything else is just second best
Old 20 February 2010, 12:13 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Pete, alternatives for you to consider:

Focus ST then get the Mountune conversion (an officially sanctioned PPP alike which leaves a full warranty intact) actually has more torque than the RS, and isn't as hardcore...Ford's equivalent to the WRXS basically.

Second hand Alpina D3 Touring, diesel, rwd and one of the best chassis around with a stunning engine

Quick Reply: I want to stay with Subaru .... but ....