Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is happening to Scoobynet? Is it time for subscriptions?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 05:08 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am getting increasing frustrated with Scoobynet, or more specifically, an increasing number of unconstructive and unhelpful 'contributions'.

I put on another post that may be Scoobynet should become a subscription service, and am told that this question was asked by Simon de Banke a few weeks back but that the answer was a resounding 'NO!'.

Might I ask how this question was asked? I, like many others, do not check every single forum when I log in, so if this was posted in General I might well have missed it.

Can I suggest that the question is reposted in General, but with a static thread at the top of all the other forums directing people to the main thread?

Personally, I think many people would be willing to pay a smallish subscription that allowed them to post and search (assuming the revenue would fund re-introducing search). IMHO the advice obtainable and the reduction in d1ckheads would be well worth a few quid. Besides it would be less than 0.00001% the cost of running a Scooby

Another idea - collect subscriptions through SIDC i.e. 2 tier membership of SIDC, with/without Scoobynet. This should keep the incremental cost of collecting subscriptions relatively low.

Cheers all
Tim

Old 22 March 2002, 05:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Agree with you Tim!

Tony
Old 22 March 2002, 05:21 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I read the post regarding subscriptions. The overwhelming reply seemed to be it was not the way to go.
I also feel things are starting to get worse on the board. Some of the problems may be in the fact that the numbers have jumped from approx 4k to 10k+ in the last year and my concern would be on how many of the new members are useful contributors. No offence is meant to the ones who are.
How about a period of 2 - 4 weeks before you are allowed to post? Hopefully the idiots who just want to cause aggro would get bored & leave.
Just my thoughts
Alasdair
Old 22 March 2002, 05:37 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

I'm inclined to agree with Alasdair. I'm more than happy to be involved with Scoobynet, but would happily call it quits if charges were involved.

I suppose that's the point though - this is a very good chat area, and a pretty good technical discussion area, but you only _really_ benefit if you own an Impreza. As a Legacy owner who knows his way around car hi-fi, I'm pleased to be involved, help where I can and get help where possible (not to mention get some blue LED's for the dash, Huxley )

By the same token, there are a lot of daft posts that really don't warrant the disk/web space. As you say, Alasdair, some form of cooling-off period is possibly valid. Perhaps a probationary period - where your subscription can be cancelled if you're not contributing (where a valid contribution can be sensible questions as well as helpful answers)?
Old 22 March 2002, 06:28 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Duplicated from another post

The thread discussing subscription and the way people wanted the BBS run can be found here http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=76606
Old 22 March 2002, 06:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tim the SIDC has its own forum and website www.sidc.co.uk and has no connection with scoobynet, except that it has a banner advert and that most SIDC owners on the web are on scoobynet also. So I dont think adding it to SIDC subscription would help. The other thread so much hassle and SDB only ask what people thought and there was a riot. Typical over reaction IMHO which sadly seems to be the norm these days .
Old 22 March 2002, 06:56 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I don't own an Impreza, yet, however sometimes contribute (hopefully constructively or amusingly) to the board. I for one wouldn't pay a subscription, and would go elsewhere - as I think bulletin boards, like the internet, should be free and available to all - if someone is abusive, ban them - simple.

And what is to say that ********* wont pay a small subscription - just 'cause ur a ********, doesn't mean you won't throw money away.
Old 22 March 2002, 07:09 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Neil,

Thanks for the link, sorry I missed that thread.

Net result of all that's happening though is that I'm less inclined to use Scoobynet in future unless I've got a specific technical question to ask.

Unlike up to now where I use the board as a matter of routine and try to help others when I can (we were all newbies once!).

It's no longer a relaxing way to unwind at the end of the day, increasingly it just winds me up.

Tim

[Edited by NBW - 3/22/2002 7:10:07 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 07:40 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

NBW

Like most people, I get fed up with some of the attitudes here. But then I remember firstly that I won't agree with everything everybody says, secondly they won't always agree with me and lastly that the internet sucks as a way of getting emotion and body language across. So Why not Chill out in the muppets/non scooby or computing forums? Life's too short not to

Old 22 March 2002, 07:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
This is yet another tedious thread!!!

Please read the link in Neil's post above where the whole subject was done absolutely to death. Can we leave it at that, please?

Lock this thread now!
Old 22 March 2002, 07:55 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Hoppy

Agreed. Read through the link above, and if you have any new suggestions then forward them to Simon (webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk ) or put a post in the bugs and features forum if it's of a technical nature.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 3/22/2002 7:57:23 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 07:55 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Give it a rest. If you don't like a thread then don't read it. 'nuff said...