Driving in France....What do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 03:56 PM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,
This has probably been done to death somewhere..but here goes..
I'll be off on a jolly to Reims soon and as it will be my first time driving abroad i haven't got a clue about regulations!

Obviously i'll need to tell my insurance but do i need:
Breakdown kit (warning triangle etc)?
Somekind of headlamp conversion ?
Stickers (GB type thingy) ?

Oh, and is super/optimax widely available over there?
I'm sure some of you do this all the time so any advice would be much appreciated.
TIA Dave.

[Edited by Dave! - 3/22/2002 3:56:43 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 03:57 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

You need ***** of steel if you intend to drive around Paris with a GB sticker on
Old 22 March 2002, 04:02 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Just back froms Reims

Insurance - you should be covered automaticly, but best to tell them.

You need bulbs and a warning triangle. Depending on your headlights you convert them or put a sticker over them to stop dazzling oncoming traffic. You either needa GB sticker (get one at Dover from the ferry co) or a Euro plate.

Their super is just called 98 and was available everywhere, even a small village garage on a 'B' type road.

As for driving advice - forget trying to do the oppersite of what you do here - just look everywhere!!

Have fun

David
Old 22 March 2002, 04:03 PM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice one Druddle He he..had them for some time mate!

[Edited by Dave! - 3/22/2002 4:05:14 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 04:05 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Also, if you have a radar detector, leave it at home. Police consider carrying these as pretty serious over there IIRC.
Old 22 March 2002, 04:05 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Oh, dont whatever you do take a radar/camera detector with you. I think these are illegal and i know of peope getting them confiscated and destroyed on the spot.

Dave
Old 22 March 2002, 04:23 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

When I spoke to Direct Line they told me that you're only covered RTA when driving over there, unless you tell them.

If you're going for <5 days full comp. cover is free, more than that you'll need to pay. £30quid for 15 days I remember.

Think this is the same for most other insurance cos.

I do enjoy driving over there. Less traffic, people get a move on etc. etc.
Old 22 March 2002, 04:24 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

You need a car
Old 22 March 2002, 04:55 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Shark got it spot on.. Watch your speed on the autoroute sometimes they time you through the tolls and you can end up with a spot speeding fine.. when you go to leave..
Old 22 March 2002, 05:02 PM
eliot
Scooby Regular

A DEATHWISH!! - I was getting overtaken by lunatics who have no regard for anyone else's safety. They are all NUTS.

Be careful and enjoy - make sure you have a spare set of bulbs as they are strict about that.

eliot

Old 22 March 2002, 05:04 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Dont forget to bring back some champagne!
Old 22 March 2002, 06:03 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

They drive like loons in Paris. I was driving too slow in the Scoob at 120mph and was being continually flashed to get the f*ck out of the way!!

Be very careful, in many parts of France people turning from a minor road into a major one get priority over you! so if your driving along a main road and someone pulls out right in front of you - or even tries to drive straight thru you its because in some areas they have right of way - bit of a bummer - just remember to be on the look out cconstantly. I've done about 20,000 miles in France and its been a problem about half a dozen times - but was especially problematic in the North of France......

Proper Ron 98 in France - yipee!!

As far as the GB stickers and bulbs and light stuff goes - I've never bothered - a French mate told me that the lights dont dazzle him...

Be very careful of being on the right side of the road, especially after doing a U Turn - it cost me an Audi Turbo last year....

Make sure you take your driving license (both bits on the new one) and I also got a 'bond cover' note in case I killed someone - insurance cert aint enough by itself - if you cant give a bond note - ie security in case you injure someone there likely to put you in jail - rare - I know but I was asked for it when I hit another French Car by the Police

and make damn certain you have RAC/AA full European breakdown and repatriation in case of the worst

Old 22 March 2002, 06:11 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't forget that the speed limits change on the autoroutes if it is raining (true - honest), and that they are in km/h not mph - although you wouldn't know it most of the time

Although most petrol stations sell super/98 watch the opening times - out of normal hours / sundays can be tricky, and most of the 24hr stations only take french 'smart cards', and are un-manned - so you can't pay with a british card!

Another neat little trick is the 'orange diamond on a white background' sign - BEWARE!!!! this means that Madame Vache-bete can pull out on you - as you have to give way to cars entering the road from the right - this is usually in towns. This used to be the case for orundabouts as well (i.e. thos entering the roundabout had right of way over those on it !!) but the law has changed - but some people still don't know it! so watch out for this one

I learned a lot about continental driving standards while spending 6 months with my Scooby in Belgium

Bon vacances

Steve
Old 22 March 2002, 06:40 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

I second the comment about petrol staions - after 5.00pm finding ones that's open and manned is like finding rocking horse doo doo, outside of the main autoroute. I remember doing about 50 miles on my ZXR750 on fumes, passing station after station that was closed...in fact every year I've been over it's a buttock-clenching problem (the petrol stations that is...)
Old 22 March 2002, 09:18 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

AFAIK timing between booths on the Autoroutes and then giving out speeding tickets is an urban myth.

Happy to be corrected
Old 22 March 2002, 09:25 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Urban myth. In November I was doing 120mph between booths and no tickets. And other cars were passing me!

Steve
Old 22 March 2002, 09:26 PM
Luke
BANNED

\Nigel
Not a urban myth...(But very rare) But Remember the French think they are still at war with us... If it happens .It will happen to us!!

[Edited by Luke - 3/22/2002 9:36:48 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 11:42 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine was nicked at 140mph last year (BMW M5), taken to the local nick & not allowed to continue until he had paid the £500 fine, but no pixie points on the licence, not a bad deal when 160 in the UK = 12 months in one of our beloved Mr Blairs holiday camps, loads of points massive insurance renewal etc.

Generally I have found driving in France preferable to the UK, the roads with the exception of cities are less crowded, Gatso does not exist & Police radar traps are rare but they do exist!
Whilst they often drive faster they generally respect faster cars, on a two lane road keep the indicator on & they will tend to pull over. Dont hog the fast lane, they will sit only a few feet off your bumper, should you need to brake the rest is obvious. Quite a few French drivers have a death wish, I once followed a Landcruiser + horsebox + Horse at 105MPH, I have also witnessed a couple of accidents, both could have been avoided if somebody had given way but in France they dont, if its a 50/50 or less give them the benefit of the doubt.
France tends to shut competely for lunch & in some areas this can be from 12 - 3, the main services etc will stay open but smaller towns, garages etc close. Dont try & beat it, chose somewhere good
for lunch & enjoy it. If you are travelling come off the peage (motorway) at about 11.30 & look for a good restaurant. A good tip is to look for somewhere with lots of trucks outside, the French truckers eat (& drink) well and dont pay over the odds, also French restaurants are very kid friendly if you have any.

Basic sound advice, if you havent done it before drive carefully for the first couple of days until you get used to it. Be especially careful on small single track roads as it is easy to forget which side you should be on when you meet a car coming the other way'
Make sure your car is all up together & you have a good recovery insurance, Subarus are not generally sold in France although I have been told their is a dealer in Paris but dont know if this is true.

Have a good one & if you are going over Easter look out for a Silver STI wagon, it will be me, off to France yet again
Old 22 March 2002, 11:52 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

have gone flat out on an R1 from toll - toll and never had a problem (always slow to the right side of 150mph when passing the rare police car though)

Tiggs
Old 23 March 2002, 12:18 AM
scooby whip
Scooby Regular

Drove through France to Italy in January and dont worry, its a doddle. No need for GB sticker, nobody else had one. Supposed to have warning triangle, fire extinguisher and bulb kit in car but you would be pretty unlucky to be stopped and searched.

You can get caught at the tolls for speeding so stop for a pee before the next toll to bring your average speed down. You can also pay the toll by using your credit card which is nice and easy.

Fuel is about 60% cost of fuel in UK. Dont take radar dectector, police in France will confiscate and fine you £300.

Autoroutes are excellent and put our motorways to shame!

Have fun!
Old 23 March 2002, 03:52 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

Wot you need it a 200 quid volvo with bullbars and a sence of humour!
Old 24 March 2002, 01:23 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Right, here goes.

You need:

warning triangle,
Spare bulbs,
GB Sticker (Although many don't bother these days)
The masks for your headlights (although I never bother)

You should tell your insurance company. Some such as Privilige will still issue a green card (I think it's a way of making money)

Super is readily available on the motorways price for unleaded 95 yesterday was Euro 1.06 per litre. All major credit cards are taken and the gaps between services (with petrol) is about 30 to 70 KM.

Yes people do get nicked, but I am also of the opinion that the timing between tolls rarely happens to the point it's a myth. In any case most of the time you will need a break or to fill up which drops your average speed. The year before last on holiday I followed two French coppers on motorbikes (they were in short shirt sleves) at just over 100 mph for about an hour.

The French have very good lane discipline, and some drive very fast.

Beware driving in the dark, they have no cats eyes on the motorways. This with the excellent Scoob lights can make driving interesting, especially if it starts to rain.

Enjoy

Dave
Old 25 March 2002, 01:55 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

Smile

have fun

i love to go over the water and as having two driving licences (all leagal - two different countries i just have FUUUUUUN
If you can and make sure u can go to Germany to test the top speed on their motorway YAAAAAAAAAMIE, last week I did over 140mph (145) and I think it could push even a bit more
Old 25 March 2002, 10:59 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Agree with some of the comments -

Don't bother with the GB sticker.
Headlight wotsits - just use the electric jobs on the Scoobs if needed.
Our company has an office in France and our rep tells me they do not check spped between tolls, it is a myth.
Go careful a few miles before the tolls as they tend to have a speed trap and pull you in there. They did it to me !!

Enjoy

Steve.
Old 25 March 2002, 11:01 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Agree with Steve

I've been done - 600 French Franc fine = £60 - So not too bad..