Sponsored by:

Oil level

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2010, 06:17 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level

I get a bit worried about things like oil etc as dont wanna damage my car, I check the level once a week, I have a 2003 wrx, I know you have 2 holes low and full then a mark above the full to allow for oil. I check the oil when the engine is cold, i pull out the stick wipe clean and re-dip. Sometimes its equal, but once again today oneside of the stick had oil up to full hole and other side it was about half way, which is true??

Also notice if i pull out the stick without wiping 1st time then the oil can be over the full mark is that normal

Sorry im worried about overfilling or not having enough im prob worrying about nothing??

Old 14 February 2010, 06:37 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Its is just oil splashed up and stuck to the dipstick.
Best time to check oil is while it is still warm and has been sitting for 10-15 minutes gives you a true reading of up to temperature oil.
Old 14 February 2010, 07:04 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

The two holes are min and max level, oil cold.

The mark above the holes is max level, oil hot.
Generally oil level is checked cold. It is unusual to have hot marks on the dipstick

The Subaru flat four is famous for retaining oil in the dipstick tube and giving false readings. Remove the dipstick and wait 10 mins for the residual oil to drain from the tube before dipping the oil for a reading. If you are impatient (like me) then clean the neck of the tube and blow gently down the tube to displace the oil. Remember that oil is poisonous if ingested and the tube may be hot so be careful, you do this at your own risk, but you may be surprised at the results.

Old 14 February 2010, 08:05 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Oil shouldn't be checked on a cold car plain and simple.

As noted the best way to check the oil on any car is to get it up to temptreture, park it (on an even surface) and then wait 10-15mins for the oil to get back into the pan. Then you check the oil from there. Mine's usually sitting at the full level or slightly below at this stage which is about right.

And yes I'm paranoid about it as well - check mine on a weekly basis just to ensure I'm not going to have any oil related problems.
Old 14 February 2010, 08:22 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Checking cold oil level is nothing to worry about.
I also have an 03 WRX and check my oil weekly. Nothing **** bout that, it is proper maintenance thats all!
Anyway, remove the dipstick and wait 5 mins before you check the level again.
This gives time for the oil that has 'wicked' up the dipstick tube to drop back down. Once you check the level after this you will find both sides of the dipstick read "properly" and so a consistent reading will be gained.
Oil level can and SHOULD be checked cold too. LOL.
Old 14 February 2010, 09:11 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tricky as hell to get an accurate reading. I also have 2003 wrx. I try to avoid panic if it looks like there is no oil in the engine as next day it often appears to be full to the max?
Old 14 February 2010, 09:59 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, i hear a mix of things some people say check when cold some when hot. Ok i will try leaving it 5 mins after removing stick 1st time before re-checking Its never got low i just like to try keep it nearerst to full as i can.