Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Nearly new" MY99. How do I value it?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2010, 01:13 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Nearly new" MY99. How do I value it?

meant to stick this in here not general technical, doh.

Hi all,

I don't post much on here but thought that Scoobnet might be the place for this question.

A friend of a friend has for sale a 99 Wagon (UK i think) with only 3000 miles on the clock. I haven't seen the vehicle yet, trying to go and have a look today, but apparently it's like a brand new car.

What sort of issues is it likely to have bearing in mind it's 11 years old and barely been driven and how do you value it? I'd be looking at it to replace my MY94 wagon as a daily driver but is it going to be worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Roy.
Old 09 February 2010, 01:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

perished seals, seperated fluids, perished tyres, perished belts etc etc. basicly low milage at that age means nothing, prob means things won;t have been replaced when they needed to be due to age
Old 09 February 2010, 01:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

As above before using it I would have a full BIG service done, anything rubber needs to be inspected, All fluids (IMO) should be changed, filters, plugs, leads etc.

Low miles will mean you should have a nearly mint body and interior, and, if correctly maintained, a nice tight engine.
I would look at it like a car with 103k on the clock, dont be sidetracked by low miles, make sure you check everything.

Value wise, like most classics now there is a gulf opening with values. Some still go for 800 quid and others are being marked up at 8k. If its all in order, clean with all the paper work I would have thought 5k is fair for a minter factory like car.
Old 09 February 2010, 01:27 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, i'd thought about tyres and fluids but not about the seals etc. Might be worth a looksie. Have since heard that the guy's looking for £6000 - £6500 for it though
Old 09 February 2010, 01:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sorry wouldn;t pay anywhere near that, well into sti money
Old 09 February 2010, 01:44 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

If it is to be your everyday car then you are better off with a used example to be honest with you.

Yes, the mileage is appealing and the car should be 'as new' in body and interior ... but, it is the mechanicals which would be the issue.

Has it had a service every 6 months? As that's what I would want to see - regardless of mileage! It should have had two cambelt changes .... imagine a cambelt sat in one position for many months/years? NOT GOOD!

What about Tyres? They will not be worn but will have cracked sidewalls and maybe bulges where it has been sat for very long periods of time.

The Oil could be original? Not good either!

As said above, it needs a Major Service BEFORE you use it - that, if done properly will cost you £600. New Tyres all round (I wouldn't risk my life on 11 year old tyres which haven't been used!).

As a show car - excellent.

As an everyday car - don't bother, not at that price anyway - is my personal opinion .. I believe it will give you loads of grief. As said seals may burst/leak as the car gets moving.

I wouldn't bother with it, not unless it is the same price as its peers.
Old 09 February 2010, 02:01 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, thanks all, you've confirmed what i was thinking and my personal museum hasn't been opened yet so might not be worth the hassle of getting this one sorted for the road.

I'm nearly convinced that i need an Outback anyway...

Roy.