Sponsored by:

4WD cars and handling

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2010, 12:10 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD cars and handling

I've owned my Impreza nearly 3 years now and I have to admit that I still can't drive it as well as I could a RWD car. I just seemed to know and feel better when my previous RWD cars were at the limit of their grip.

For example, I was in quite a long but tight bend in the wet a couple of days ago in my Impreza and the steering just seemed to go light all of a sudden. I had no idea what the front wheels were doing, so my motorcycle skills naturally kicked in and I kept the throttle on until the steering came back and I got the car around the corner. Had I passed the limit of the cars grip at that point?

I think if I timed it I could probably drive my Impreza faster than any of my previous RWD cars but I just felt more in control in a RWD car.

Is this common or am I just not very good in a 4WD car? The car has prodrive springs, top notch rubber, whiteline ARBs and drop links and I've even had the steering bushes upgraded to improve feedback. Must just be me...

Last edited by Mikkel; 06 February 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06 February 2010, 12:59 AM
matt2000
Scooby Regular

I got caught out yesterday. Turning right out of a junction and the back end came out, quite scary as the front end of the car was on the wrong side of the road and there was a truck approaching. I don't really know how I managed to get the car back in a straightline in time, think opposite lock and little less power which caused the car to swing out in the opposite direction and then straight. I'm putting it down to a combination of damp surface , budget tyres and possibly diesel.
Old 06 February 2010, 03:12 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

4WD = GRIP..Handeling is another kettle of fish its like u say in some RWD cars u have had,the car feels great tells u whats going on its always in controll even when u should be in the BUSH!!!!!

Handling Lotus Evora?

Last edited by rcwhite; 06 February 2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:42 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nahhhh Lotus Exige
Old 06 February 2010, 10:39 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

best thing get on a track day that will give you more confidence and will get you to learn more about the car or even training day with a track expert. i have had some scary moments in my ver 4 type r but thank god no accidents yet. i understand what you mean about rwd cars there more predictable to drive they are stright forward to correct where the subaru is a little diffrent once you learn how to drive it you will enjoy giving it a good pasting.

mus
Old 06 February 2010, 11:02 AM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt2000
I got caught out yesterday. Turning right out of a junction and the back end came out, quite scary as the front end of the car was on the wrong side of the road and there was a truck approaching. I don't really know how I managed to get the car back in a straightline in time, think opposite lock and little less power which caused the car to swing out in the opposite direction and then straight. I'm putting it down to a combination of damp surface , budget tyres and possibly diesel.
this is exactly what happened to me in the snow, except i hit a parked car on the opposite side
Old 06 February 2010, 11:07 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
this is exactly what happened to me in the snow, except i hit a parked car on the opposite side
Could that be more to do with your tyres and not the car ?

Trending Topics

Old 06 February 2010, 11:42 AM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

i feel the same.always had rear wheel drive cars and i was way more comfortable pushing them harder.i have been thinking about different driving techniques recently.
i guess i am just not used to the random understeer you sometimes get with the scoob.makes you lose confidence in the front end.i prefer a little bit of oversteer.
so what is it?
in a rear wheel drive i enter the corner and back off the throttle.you get a bit of lift off oversteer but thats when you know you have got front end grip.mid corner you get back on the throttle and regardless of how hard you push the throttle it will only ever oversteer and hang the **** out.

so what do you do?
should i brake first (and not trail brake?) and then drive the whole corner(even before the apex) on the throttle?
whenever i try to get lift off oversteer it just understeers and the front end washes out.i have even considered adjusting my rear anti roll bar to the stiffest setting to force oversteer rather than risk understeer?

is it years of riding superbikes and rear wheel drive cars that make it hard to learn a new driving technique.its like,buy a subaru,then forget everything you knew about driving technique and start again???
Old 06 February 2010, 01:41 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by konceppt
is it years of riding superbikes and rear wheel drive cars that make it hard to learn a new driving technique.its like,buy a subaru,then forget everything you knew about driving technique and start again???
I think that hits the nail on the head.

I've done track days in RWD and FWD cars and have had several high powered RWD sports cars and still ride a big bike, so am not inexperienced. Not necessarily talented but not inexperienced

I've enjoyed driving the Impreza the past 3 years as you really don't need to push it to go fast anyway, but I find myself longing to actually be involved in the process again...
Old 06 February 2010, 04:03 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

As said before I personally think a track day would be the only answer! push the car hard to see and feel its characteristics, Mikkel do you drive with the dccd on auto or full green? I like full green when driven hard its more predictable.
Old 06 February 2010, 04:18 PM
matt2000
Scooby Regular

I spent 3 years driving a well modified jdm integra type r, I could push that really hard and it was predictable. I've got a classic mini now as well which is loads of fun. The impreza has me a little concerned after the other day, so I'm loathe to push her hard. Looking to get new rubber and then on track to gety confidence in the car. It'll happen, I may just have to change my driving style, traction seems to be a problem at full boost on anything other than bone dry roads.
Old 06 February 2010, 04:31 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah I drive/have driven BMW:s as daily beaters and I prefer them on the limit compared to the Sti Type R I have. It breaks traction too sudden.
Old 06 February 2010, 05:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be just that you hit some oil or a dip in the road, several things that can cause you to lose that little bit of steering feel, even the fast racks can do it, the quick racks seem to give more feedback though

Tony
Old 06 February 2010, 05:12 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

think i might just disconnect the front diff and make it a rear wheel drive impreza.now that would be an animal (an idea is forming.............)
Old 06 February 2010, 05:15 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

I think that this is the Impreza's biggest flaw, lack of feel from the steering. When I was looking at getting my car it was the only negative thing I read in any of the write ups. I have to say I dont drive that fast on the road so it isnt a problem for me but I can imagine it gets frustrating when really pushing on.
Old 06 February 2010, 05:39 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konceppt
so what do you do?
should i brake first (and not trail brake?) and then drive the whole corner(even before the apex) on the throttle?
whenever i try to get lift off oversteer it just understeers and the front end washes out.

According to roadcraft you should be looking at the limit point of the bend on approach to identify the correct entry speed. Should you need to brake, this should be done in a straight line prior to turning in. Then off the brake, turn in and gently squeeze the throttle. As the limit point starts to move away, build up acceleration until you are through the bend.
Old 06 February 2010, 06:14 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

agreed mate,
with a perfectly handling (or rear wheel drive) car

however trail braking can keep the weight forward and mean you can enter a corner quicker.in some decent motors with good rear brakes you can also force oversteer by dabbing the brake after turning in.i am beginning to think my suspension is too stiff for trail braking to do any good though.i just hate the light steering and complete lack of feel from the steering wheel as to what the car is doing.

anyone driven without the power steering working?
also,would a thicker viscosity power steering fluid stiffen the steering up?

Last edited by konceppt; 06 February 2010 at 06:15 PM.