Sponsored by:

folding wing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2010, 06:41 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default folding wing mirrors

hi guys i have a uk spec my96 and i want to fit a set of folding mirrors off an import i know i need the switch for the dash but will i need any relays or anything and will the wires be in my car to make these work ? basicly has anyone fitted these to there uk car and is it much work to get them to work ?
Old 26 January 2010, 06:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

About half a day's work. You need the switch, some thinwall cable, (about 8m), and some of the connectors from the plastic loom connectors, 2 from the one from the switch, FOUR from the ones at the mirrors. The ones you want are the female ones from the switch connector and from the car loom at the mirror connector. Mine came from a scrapped legacy.

Once you have those, ask again and I can guide you through it.
Old 26 January 2010, 07:27 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

sound mate im not to fussed about the plugs at the mo as i can get them do i need any relays or anything ? do you know what wires go to what cheers
Old 26 January 2010, 08:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No relays needed, and I can help you with what wires go to what, or how to find out.
Do you have a circuit tester?

Mine is like this one: VWP - multimeters & circuit testers Ref: 101740A, mine was about £2 from a local carshop.

BTW: if you are anywhere near Scunny, when you are set, you can come here and I'll give you a hand to do it.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:28 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

nar mate im in leicester so quite a treck for me , yea i have a tester and im ok with electrics so i should be able to get round any info you give me
Old 30 January 2010, 05:44 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

any help guys please just need 2 know what wires are for what and basicly which pins do what on the switch wiring diagram would be great
Old 30 January 2010, 07:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I thought you were getting back to me when you wanted guidance?

Trending Topics

Old 30 January 2010, 08:19 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

soz mate mix up was waiting for you to get back to me my fault sorreeee lol
Old 31 January 2010, 12:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Here's a basic of how I did mine:

Remove switch from centre console and replace with new switch. Note CAREFULLY where the two extra pins are on the new switch that have no connections on the Subaru loom.

Now using your circuit tester, find which of those is live when the switch is in both positions, fold/unfold, and again, make a note.

Working with ONE NEW mirror inside the car, again compare and note which two pins are NOT on the Subaru car loom.

Using temporary connections, connect BOTH of the "extra" pins at the switch to BOTH of the "extra" pins at the mirror, with all else in place, switch on ignition and try the switch. It's now a 50/50 chance the wires are wrong way round, and the mirror will fold when it should open, etc. If it does, simply swap the wires at the mirror end. Once it does what you want it to, mark everything, and repeat with the other side, but KEEPING THE CONNECTIONS AT THE SWITCH THE SAME.

After a couple of goes you will have two mirrors which will work inside the car on temporary connections: note you have TWO wires to each "extra" switch connection

Simply thread the wires through the dash, out through the door pillar grommet and in through the door grommet, zip-tieing them to the existing loom there, up through the door and into the correct connectors as noted above. Fit mirrors and away you go.

As I already said, I used some connectors I recycled out of old scrap Scoob looms, paid 50p for the lot, they can be removed from the moulding with a sharp point like a needle, clip them off with about 200mm wire, and solder the new wires to this, finishing off with some heat-shrink The ones at the SWITCH end are slightly larger than at the mirrors, but both are female.

HTH
Old 31 January 2010, 08:14 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

nice one mate will have a look at tomorow and let you know how i get on cheers