Sponsored by:

Sell scooby for EVO6?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 11:26 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've had my scoob (uk my00) for almost 2 years now, the longest i've ever owned a single car, and can't decide whether or not to chop it in this year for an EVO6.

My cars running roughly 270bhp at the mo with a unichip, fmic, exhaust etc, but i'm still getting a bit bored with it for some reason. Usually when i get bored, i just spend more money on it, but the total cost of modifications is getting ridiculous so i'm not spending another penny.

The only car i'd like to replace it with would be a standard EVO6, but having never driven an EVO i dont know if i'd regret it and end up missing my scoob.
Have anyone out there been in a similar situation and/or have any useful advice and views on the difference between an EVO and a scoob? (sorry, i know this has probably been done to death in the past)

An EVO5 would also be an idea, but arent they all grey imports? What'd be the advantages and disadvantages, coz i've heard that this is an area to steer clear of?

Cheers in advance.

Steve
Old 21 March 2002, 12:14 AM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,
I ran an evo 6 for about 8 months,before changing it for a p1 which I am currently running.The evo 6 was an exellent car and I would definately have another one.I can only compare it to the p1 as I have not owned any other subaru.Speed wise for me I would say there is nothing in it.They both handle superb,however the brakes on the evo are alot better.Day to day running the p1 is easier to live with as the ride is not as hard as the evo's,however I didn't see this as a problem.The only downside I would have would be the service intervals,which are every 4500 miles compared with the 7000 miles of the subaru.If you don't mind this then I don't think you would regret getting an evo 6.Hope this helps,and if you have any other questions I will be more than willing to try to help.

Cheers.
Old 21 March 2002, 12:27 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Hia

Sold my MY98 Terzo for an Evo6 in December, for the same reasons as yourself.After decatting and spending a small fortune on the Scoob, i was looking at a FMIC and AP`s, along with ECU, suspension, bigger wheels, the list goes on!

I just though what is the point, when the Evo has half this stuff already, and is alot rarer on the roads.

It also depends on what you want from a car.If you want a very fast capable car then stick with the Scoob.If you want something alittle more hardcore, less common, with proper rally car feel to it then buy the Evo.

The only time i look back and regret selling the Scoob is when i think of how much more the Evo is costing to run than the Scoob.Petrol has dropped from 30 to 23mpg, and the servicing intervals come along alot sooner.As soon as i set off driving her though i know every penny is worth it

Take a test drive for yourself.The Evo honestly feels like an F1 car after the Scoob, its that taught and hard on the road in comparison.I really think i would struggle to go back to a Scoob, it would feel like a Mondeo in comparison!

One word of warning though, dont fall into the trap that i did of thinking you`ll buy the Evo and not spend no money on her, i`ve already bought a HKS Racing suction Kit, full SS Blitz exhaust system, and next on the list are springs,18"wheels and AP`s(yes, as awesome as the brakes are, you will need to upgrade).

Fast cars are a bug, and if your like me, you`ll never be satisfied, no matter what you own, be it Impreza, Evo or Skyline!

Rich.
Old 21 March 2002, 12:37 AM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I have not owned an evo6 but I have test driven one and found it turns in quicker and stops quicker than my my95 wrx and was slightly faster.

I was considering getting one, but whispers of reliability problems changed my mind. Not sure, maybe owners can verify this for you.

As for grey imports I would not say to stay away from them as unlike Subaru, Mitsubishi will service them for you.

you will insurance more expensive (well group 20 for my car which is standard bar the 17's).

I hope this helps your decision

Cheers

David
Old 21 March 2002, 12:41 AM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

RichiW,

How did you get 30mpg out of a scooby?

I struggle 2 get 25 out of mine and that is on a run.
Old 21 March 2002, 12:52 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

I've just done the reverse and swapped my Evo 6 for an STi 7 UK.
The Evo was definitely the quicker of the 2 as standard and with mods (exhaust,filter,boost,Afc,dump valve = @340bhp)the Evo was mega .But the Scooby has more character ,is more refined ,slighly better on petrol and should be cheaper to run.The Evo handled better,but the STi has better ride.They are both great cars ,the Evo has the bigger adrenalin rush , but the STi feels more complete.Hope you enjoy whatever you do.
Cheers
Gary
Old 21 March 2002, 07:34 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Ralph, dont ask me m8, used to regualary get 30 - 33 out of her!

Beats the hell out of me as the lad who i bought it off never got above 25 out of her, and it appears from the half dozen or so threads on here that have covered the subject, nobody else gets that much either!

Wierd huh? Must say the Evo does get more stick though than the Scoob, it just feels better and better the faster you go.

Rich.
Old 21 March 2002, 02:28 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i test drove two evo 6's when i had a my97 scoob, they were brilliant , fantastic turn in, a bit quicker, brakes slightly better, but no engine noise, tried a p1 and bought it
mark
Old 21 March 2002, 03:58 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Last year test drove an evo6 and an sti5 type r and i have to say i thought that the scoob was a better all rounder.
There was nothing in it for speed, handling was slightly better on evo but ride was so hard and the tank only gives you about 200 miles range.

I ended getting the scoob and heave never regreted it, it is much easier to live everyday.

Hope this is helpful.