Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Osram cool blue 4000k fog bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2010, 01:12 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osram cool blue 4000k fog bulbs?

Anyone tried these in their fogs.

Trying to match up my headlights and fogs as my xenon headligts make my fogs look really dull.

HB4 Osram Cool Blue 4000k 9006 CB bulbs (pair) on eBay (end time 23-Jan-10 12:10:32 GMT)

Other option is Philips Blue Vision, these are brighter but I've been told are still not that good a match.

Philips Blue Vision 9006 (HB4) 4000K Xenon/HID effect from Power Bulbs | Free Worldwide Delivery

Cheers
Arron
Old 20 January 2010, 01:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Both are a total waste of time, blue bulbs actually give out less light than a white one.

Also, it's illegal to use fogs other than in fog, or inclement weather, so............
Old 20 January 2010, 01:36 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Thats why I want to change, had them on recently with the snow, sleet, hail and everything else we have had thrown at us and the std bulbs are as good as useless and provide no extra driving visibility!

Both the above are brighter (30% IIRC) while remaining road legal, and if I'm changing may as well match them up a little. I would imagine if companies like Philips and Osram and selling them in blue there must be some advantage, thinks the Osrams are only 10% blue so not going to be the useless lazer blue type!
Old 20 January 2010, 01:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Both are a total waste of time, blue bulbs actually give out less light than a white one.

Also, it's illegal to use fogs other than in fog, or inclement weather, so............
So be fair i use the Phillips bulbs in my car, and although they are called Blue Vision i have no idea why, as there is not a hint of blue to them..... just a nice white light (which is what i wanted)
Old 20 January 2010, 03:24 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
Thats why I want to change, had them on recently with the snow, sleet, hail and everything else we have had thrown at us and the std bulbs are as good as useless and provide no extra driving visibility!

Both the above are brighter (30% IIRC) while remaining road legal, and if I'm changing may as well match them up a little. I would imagine if companies like Philips and Osram and selling them in blue there must be some advantage, thinks the Osrams are only 10% blue so not going to be the useless lazer blue type!
The point of front fog lights is to emit a scattered light source so in fog you don't get the glow back from the fog and they should only be used when visibility drops below a certain distance. All you'll do, if you make them brighter, is get more glow off the fog and you'll still never get a usable light for driving in normal conditions because of how the lens works. You'll just annoy other drivers by putting 220w of light off the front of the car, 110w of that scattered everywhere when everyone else has to make do with 110w total.

What does it matter what they look like if you only use them at the correct time, which is when the most important thing is getting the best vision not the coolest look.

The best colour, vision wise is yellow, had some on an old Renault really did improve what you could see in fog.

Paul.
Old 20 January 2010, 03:43 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Agree with Paul ^^ if you really want to improve your vision a yellow light is much better in those conditions.
Old 20 January 2010, 03:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The best thing to do with Subaru foglights is to take them off and replace with a tidy set of spots which will be useful to you far more often than the fogs.

The reason the fogs are next to fecking useless almost all the time is that they are designed for use in heavy fog, not as additional lighting. In the conditions they are actually designed for, as has been said, yellow-filtered bulbs are the most effective as they minimise glare. The last thing you want in fog is more blue.

I would imagine if companies like Philips and Osram and selling them in blue there must be some dull chav willing to buy them
Fixed.
Old 20 January 2010, 03:59 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Problem is that in the fog they gave me no added value, I'm sure they helped other cars see me but for my vision were quite poor.

Leading bulb makers are selling uprated fog bulbs so assumed that this would be a beneficial upgrade from std and give me better vision in poor conditions, so are you saying these blue effect bulbs made by Philips, Osram etc are useless and we're better off sticking with their std bulbs? Are they just a marketing ploy?

As for the yellow, yes I know the old RST Fiestas had these are were supposed to be veery good, I had looked at yellow bulbs on the bay but they were non-branded and I was concerned that they were cheap bulbs and I'd end up with pale yellow fogs that were no better than I have, also considered overlays but could not be bothered to fit!
Old 20 January 2010, 04:11 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

These were the other yellow bulb option I was looking at, was just concerned though that as no major bulb companies are making them, they again would be useless.

9006 HB4 12V 55W 2500K HID XENON FOG LIGHT BULBS YELLOW : eBay Motors (item 110483848860 end time Jan-24-10 15:36:25 PST)

Maybe I should go the Yellow overlay route!
Old 20 January 2010, 05:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Problem is that in the fog they gave me no added value, I'm sure they helped other cars see me but for my vision were quite poor.
The whole point of foglights is that they're only intended to be used in absolute pea soup conditions when even dipped headlights are whiting out your view ahead. It's because they are effective only in really thick fog that they are pretty much useless.

Used under appropriate conditions (i.e. thick fog with your headlights off), they are better than nothing.

Leading bulb makers are selling uprated...
There are companies all over the world selling products for no reason other than that there is money to be made from them.

so are you saying these blue effect bulbs made by Philips, Osram etc are useless and we're better off sticking with their std bulbs? Are they just a marketing ploy?
Yes, the blue filter is marketing bullsh*t, irrespective of whether we're talking about a fog or headlamp bulb. All the filter does is remove elements of the colour spectrum. As has been said you end up with less light on the road than you would if you scratched the blue dye off - and more to the point, the components of the spectrum you're left with are the glare-inducing ones..

As for overlays an' ting, don't bother. If you want an "inclement weather" bulb in your fogs, the Philips one with a dichroic coating (think they're called Weather Vision) is probably the sort of thing to look at.

Last edited by Splitpin; 20 January 2010 at 05:11 PM.