Newbie looking to buy a scoob

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2010, 01:16 AM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to buy a scoob

Hi all my name is Gordon im 31 from Glasgow and looking for a scoob

I have a 94 Supra NA Aerotop at the moment,which i love but i also have 2 sons and the space in the back seat is a joke!

I have always loved imprezas and nearly bought one before the supra but i am glad i owned the supra for a couple of years before i have decided to move on to a scoob.

I will have about 4k to spend once i sell my supra so i was wondering what you would advise me to get for that kind of money.I fancy an STI for that bit of extra power but i presume it will have to be an import in which case is the insurance not alot higher?

If i was to get a standard UK2000 turbo is it expensive to get up to STI power?(280-300)And is there anything specific i should be looking out for when going to look at an impreza?

Many thanks in advance
Old 10 January 2010, 01:41 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time mate and shop around. I bought what I thought was a good buy and have ended up spending over 6 grand on it(350 now give or take a few BHP).

there are nice ones to be had but there are also many bad ones. Choose with your head and not with your heart and always take someone else with you.
Old 10 January 2010, 02:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

With a couple more pounds and a bit of haggling you might just find a New-Age 'Bugeye' WRX for not much over £4k and I think they make for much better family cars than the older 'Classics'.

With 215BHP they didn't feel as quick as the older cars, but deceptively they were due to being much smoother with a better ride and handling, despite being heavier. A few quid thrown at a decat zorst, (Samco) I/C pipe, (Green/K&N) filter and remap should easily see 270-280, and add a fuel pump and STi TMIC to get near 300, both requiring a remap of course. The big benefits come with handling mods as contrary to popular belief, Scoobs aren't as good as people think. Budget about £1k when you can afford it to get Apex BC coilovers, Whiteline ARB's (22mm front, 24mm rear) and associated links and bushes, allied to a good geo set-up and you will have a devastatingly quick road car. You might also want to add Performance Friction pads, stainless braided lines and quality DOT5.1 fluid to finish it properly. When you consider that many of the suspension and chassis components may be 8-10 years old, they may need replacing anyway, so why not do it right ?

I'll let the other guys who know about classics advise you on those.

When test driving just do the usual. A heavy blip of throttle when cold might show some white or blue smoke if the turbo is getting dodgy. Loosen your grip on the wheel whilst accelerating and braking hard to feel for any pull off-line, and any judder in the brakes. Try setting off uphill in 2nd to test for clutch slip. Make sure it's been serviced well, including cambelt and the big fluid services (diffs and box). Apart from the odd intake/exhaust sensor and the silly alternator, not much goes wrong on a well looked after Scoob. Keep a close eye out for overspray, panel gaps and any crash damage. Check the tyres for wear, especially if uneven which could signify either bad alignment, suspension problems, hard driving or chassis damage. Watch how the owner treats the car too. If they rev it hard from cold and drive it hard on the test drive, it might have been thrashed, but also consider that that's what they're made for
Old 10 January 2010, 02:54 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

wise words CB apart from the missing fact that most bugeyes look goddamn Ugly !!!!
Old 10 January 2010, 05:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

From the drivers seat they are just about identical to Blobeyes, and almost Hawkeyes. I'm old and getting past caring what cars look like. Give me ability over vanity ! Let's face it though, ALL Scoobs are pretty bloody ugly really, they just win over our affections through performance. A bit like an ugly bird who's great in bed
Old 10 January 2010, 10:06 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
With a couple more pounds and a bit of haggling you might just find a New-Age 'Bugeye' WRX for not much over £4k and I think they make for much better family cars than the older 'Classics'.

With 215BHP they didn't feel as quick as the older cars, but deceptively they were due to being much smoother with a better ride and handling, despite being heavier. A few quid thrown at a decat zorst, (Samco) I/C pipe, (Green/K&N) filter and remap should easily see 270-280, and add a fuel pump and STi TMIC to get near 300, both requiring a remap of course. The big benefits come with handling mods as contrary to popular belief, Scoobs aren't as good as people think. Budget about £1k when you can afford it to get Apex BC coilovers, Whiteline ARB's (22mm front, 24mm rear) and associated links and bushes, allied to a good geo set-up and you will have a devastatingly quick road car. You might also want to add Performance Friction pads, stainless braided lines and quality DOT5.1 fluid to finish it properly. When you consider that many of the suspension and chassis components may be 8-10 years old, they may need replacing anyway, so why not do it right ?

I'll let the other guys who know about classics advise you on those.

When test driving just do the usual. A heavy blip of throttle when cold might show some white or blue smoke if the turbo is getting dodgy. Loosen your grip on the wheel whilst accelerating and braking hard to feel for any pull off-line, and any judder in the brakes. Try setting off uphill in 2nd to test for clutch slip. Make sure it's been serviced well, including cambelt and the big fluid services (diffs and box). Apart from the odd intake/exhaust sensor and the silly alternator, not much goes wrong on a well looked after Scoob. Keep a close eye out for overspray, panel gaps and any crash damage. Check the tyres for wear, especially if uneven which could signify either bad alignment, suspension problems, hard driving or chassis damage. Watch how the owner treats the car too. If they rev it hard from cold and drive it hard on the test drive, it might have been thrashed, but also consider that that's what they're made for
Good advice there mate thank you

I didnt think i would be able to afford a bugeye but i will have a look to see what they are selling for.I was put off slightly with the lack of power but if i could acheive 270 to 280 for less than a grand of mods then i would be happy.

As for the insurance would there be much difference between an import and a UK model?

People say that all subarus have been thrashed but like you say if they have been well looked after and serviced then that shouldnt be an issue,the supras are the same.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:13 PM
stitommo
Scooby Newbie

wagons are a good choice for the family man,a nice sti v3 big boot space,and can get awesome power,bit of a sleeper aswell!