Sponsored by:

fmic i bought

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2010, 12:07 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic i bought

right lads dont laugh. i couldnt resist as got it for a 100 anyway has anybody got this sought on fmic on theres an do they do the job on the car. better than a tmic?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Impreza-front-...04236001r17778

nowhere near as good as what harvey sells but hope it does a better job than a tmic to keep temps down

it one of these kits

Last edited by seddomyster; 10 January 2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:22 AM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

Looks tidy mate, dont see why that wouldnt do the trick, I have one similar on watch for my bugeye, let me know if its any good
Old 10 January 2010, 12:38 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

will do. ive had a remap with tmic an once i fit this im gettin a map tweek. im dreadin how much cuttin from bumper though. buyin some reflective heat tape to so hope that helps. like the look of front mount to
Old 10 January 2010, 04:45 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Scheize seddomyster, without wanting to sound harsh, have you ever heard the old saying about the fool and his money?

It may or may not be a tidy intercooler (and probably isn't bad), but as you have repeatedly been told by a number of different people, you are causing yourself problems for the sake of it here.

At 350bhp or so, the newage STi top mount you currently have is absolutely fine, as you would probably have found out if you'd sat back and waited for the charge temperature gauge you've been going on about to turn up and be fitted.

You will not find any significant charge temperature reduction from swapping from what you have to this front mount, and if the core on this new one isn't top banana you may even find that they actually rise.

You will certainly find a reduction in throttle response and on an MY99-00 you are volunteering for problems via the necessity to remove the standard airbox, and the effect this can have on the stability of the airflow sensor. You will also have to factor in the cost of an immediate map tweak in order to calibrate the MAF for whatever induction kit you fit, as well as whatever changes the intercooler swap causes.

In your inexplicable desperation to fix a problem that you can't even quantify at the moment, you appear to be hell-bent on complicating your underbonnet setup and spending money you could have utilised far more effectively. Indeed you are potentially setting yourself problems that are more likely to **** your engine than leaving the thing well alone.

Still, if nothing else your experience will probably help others considering the same routes in future.
Old 10 January 2010, 08:17 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Cost you a 100quid!!! Only thing id say about those cheap FMIC kits you get off e-bay is that your not finished spending yet!!!! The hoses that come with the kit are crap and they will need changing as they dont fit on the pipes tightly enough!!!! You will also probably need to cut the pipes to get them to fit, as they will be to long and rub against everything in your engine bay!!!

My brother has the same kit on his STi, and to be honest there a lot of hassle to fit, and the kit is not exactly brilliant, missing hoses etc, brother ended up spending another 60-70 quid on hoses to replace the crap ones it come with.

I was going to get a FMIC on my STi, but having driven my brothers scoob, and seeing the problems he had fitting it, ive stuck to the TMIC, much better throttle response, and im never going to go over 400bhp so I dont think i'll need one, But the intercooler showing through your front bumper does look cool!!!!
Old 10 January 2010, 11:55 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

thanks for input lads. only reason went for fmic as i was advised by my mapper to get one as at the time of my first map i had a leak an we assumed it maybe the second hand tmic i had bought. i will give this 1 a go at fittng an if it dont work out to well i prob either source 1 from harvey an sell this or stay tmic. i would be leaving possitive feedback straight away so will have to wait an see. thanks lads
Old 10 January 2010, 12:00 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

dr frankin stew on surrey scoobies had one of those cheap fmic's off ebay, he was running nearly 600 bhp and hit a 11 sec quarter mile time, there not bad kit mate.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:10 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
dr frankin stew on surrey scoobies had one of those cheap fmic's off ebay, he was running nearly 600 bhp and hit a 11 sec quarter mile time, there not bad kit mate.
FMIC needed with that sort of power, but personally I cant see why normal road cars with less then 300bhp would need one. See plenty of near standard turbo 2000's near where I live with a FMIC because it looks good, why make a car with say 270bhp have loads of lag and make it horrible to drive!!!
Old 10 January 2010, 12:15 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a load of grief for you fella, but I wouldn't touch one of those cheap FMIC's with a 40ft pole.

If you aren't breaking the 400bhp mark then you are wasting your time & effort. As Splitpin says, stick with the TMIC.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:17 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
FMIC needed with that sort of power, but personally I cant see why normal road cars with less then 300bhp would need one. See plenty of near standard turbo 2000's near where I live with a FMIC because it looks good, why make a car with say 270bhp have loads of lag and make it horrible to drive!!!

that is a fair point mate, i haven't bothered on mine as its still near enough standard, even though lots of people keep telling me my slanty one is not good enough. if it was good enough for subaru to fit it, its good enough still now.
Old 10 January 2010, 02:41 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

600 bhp and only 11 sec quarters..........i,d be well pissed not to be in the 10,s
Old 10 January 2010, 02:44 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
I hope it doesn't turn out to be a load of grief for you fella, but I wouldn't touch one of those cheap FMIC's with a 40ft pole.

If you aren't breaking the 400bhp mark then you are wasting your time & effort. As Splitpin says, stick with the TMIC.
cheers mate i do listen to splitpin. he a good guy with the knowledge an if the biiding ended today after reading i would of give it a miss but got it now like.
was after 1 because my mapper said it help as i had a leak somewhere an replaced dv and now the cooler. thanks for all the input lads. im hoping that its straigt forward but not holding my breath
Old 10 January 2010, 05:31 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

The picture has gone as the auction has ended but it flashed up momentarily. Anyhow the picture looked like my car (FMIC, Vent in morette, colour and position and style of number plate) and I'm not selling an intercooler. Might be worth contacting the seller and ask him about the photo and what he is actually selling.

This is my car
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...009663-1-1.jpg

Andy.
Old 10 January 2010, 05:41 PM
rbailey182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy_s37
The picture has gone as the auction has ended but it flashed up momentarily. Anyhow the picture looked like my car (FMIC, Vent in morette, colour and position and style of number plate) and I'm not selling an intercooler. Might be worth contacting the seller and ask him about the photo and what he is actually selling.

This is my car

Andy.

The picture is still up mate just scroll down a bit and it does look very very very similar to you car..... royalties
Old 10 January 2010, 05:50 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it does look very very similiar,does your car have a scratch on the bumper ?

Ebay

yours

Old 10 January 2010, 06:04 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

that is deffo your car in that photo i would be well pissed
Old 10 January 2010, 06:27 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

no way i will ask him as he has 1 pic of a kit an this pic. im well pissed lol
Old 10 January 2010, 06:28 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

he has sold a few fmic according to feedback so i bet he has just saved this pic.
Old 10 January 2010, 06:34 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Its deffo my car. Self tappers at the end of the splitter center section
Old 10 January 2010, 06:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Rofl, as Rooferman says, that much power and only 11s quarters, something must be wrong. Maybe the cheap intercooler.

Originally Posted by andy_s37

This is my car
Interesting. Andy, is there a photo of your car with the bonnet open available online anywhere?

Oh - edited to add - isn't the seller an Snet member? WMS or something like that.

Last edited by Splitpin; 10 January 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10 January 2010, 06:39 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Sussed it, just looked at the seller info and its Andy Williams who rebuilt my engine for me. The guy is genuine and sells some decent kit.
Old 10 January 2010, 06:44 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Yes, Snet profile here: https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=91930
Old 10 January 2010, 09:24 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
600 bhp and only 11 sec quarters..........i,d be well pissed not to be in the 10,s
well what happened was, he blew his 5 speed gear box up just after doing an 11.1, when he was nearly in the tens, changed to a six speed and didn't have long to get used to it due to unforseen circumstances, lets just say his new car will be troubling alot more then them 10's.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:11 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

well what happened was, he blew his 5 speed gear box up just after doing an 11.1, when he was nearly in the tens, changed to a six speed and didn't have long to get used to it due to unforseen circumstances, lets just say his new car will be troubling alot more then them 10's.
Ahhh good.......

Should be easy to get into the tens then..........might not be as easy to get out of the tens though...