A cautionary tale. Avoid this Ebay seller w90samsti

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 10:42 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A cautionary tale. Avoid this Ebay seller w90samsti

I will cut a long story short:
My son bid and bought a short engine he had listed for sale. Forged 2.5 for sale without reserve @ £995
100% positive feedback and I also researched him as a Scoobynet member also with positive comments. Sale ended Sunday evening. My son made contact to arrange for a courier to call and collect and seller stated "no probs mate I'll put it on a pallet for you they can call anytime" So payment was made through paypal, courier booked online, job done.
So:
Seller contacted him on Tuesday evening stating that 15 people had contacted him saying that they were unable to bid in the last 15 minutes of the auction and could he cancel the courier and agree to cancel the sale. "Then leave positive me positive feedback and I will return your payment". Of course he was met with some resistance and anger because of the costs of the courier that would be lost and the fact that by accepting payment he had entered a contract with my son to sell him the shortblock. Alas the seller is without morals. He then informed us that ebay had told him to cancel the sale because of the bidding problem and he was reprting my lad to the police for trying to scam him!
I became involved at this stage pointing out that there was 6 bids in the last minutes of the auction (link provided) suggesting that perhaps he'd had a better offer. This he denied completely. To try and end this sorry tale I offered that if would cover the lost courier costs £87 and refund the £995 the matter would be dropped.
The result: A user name change on ebay and another rant about the police being informed.
So on my advice my son appealed through Paypal for a refund which was granted BUT there is no funds in the paypal account!! They have stated however that a refund will be paid by them in the next 7 days and they shall chase the seller for recovery.
So in summary, engine block sold and contact made, collection agreed, seller then changes his mind. Only for the username change and the empty paypal account he could be regarded as an idiot, personally I think he's a conman.
Ebay link - Subaru Impreza WRX STi 07 Forged EJ25 Short Motor BHP on eBay (end time 03-Jan-10 20:00:44 GMT)

New username jagboysam

Opinions please:

Im sure Sam will answer with some ramblings or other but everything I have stated is provable through messages recieved.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:50 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news!

I've just about given up buying anything second hand, on ebay or on here, unless I know the seller. I've had so much trouble in the past with stuff not as described or damaged and then have hassle getting money back and losing out as having to pay for item to be returned!
Old 08 January 2010, 11:34 AM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

so he wanted to refund the money but took it out of his paypal account?
Old 08 January 2010, 11:39 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i hate stories about people's "hard earned" going walkies.... especially this time of the year. some people are cold-hearted scum and will no doubt die a long painful death for their behaviour !! (well it makes me happy to believe this bit) - hope you get it sorted and your son gets his faith back in trusting humans again
Old 08 January 2010, 12:13 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Another success for "buy with PayPal you are more secure" the scum sucking lot that they are. No help at all.

Sorry about this chap. Got any address or anything? Pretty significant theft this one.

5t.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

For anything like this, I'll drive to the sellers, check the goods and hand over cash.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:28 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
For anything like this, I'll drive to the sellers, check the goods and hand over cash.
Even from Northern Ireland to Nottingham?
Old 08 January 2010, 12:48 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like someone made him a better offer, totally unacceptable but a sign of the times.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:54 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Another success for "buy with PayPal you are more secure" the scum sucking lot that they are. No help at all.
If you actually read the story, it says that Paypal are stumping up a refund and then going after the scammer themselves.
Still, its £87 down the drain in the end.
Old 08 January 2010, 02:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
If you actually read the story, it says that Paypal are stumping up a refund and then going after the scammer themselves.
Still, its £87 down the drain in the end.
*hat off* didn't notice that. can't say it has been the experience of many in the past... usually that only happens because it was paid for with a credit card via paypal and the CC company is the one that does the refund and the chasing not PP who just give you the "oh their account is empty, sorry" line.

5t.
Old 08 January 2010, 02:26 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I had similar when I bought an engine, I won the auction with what I thought was a good price. I told the seller that I'd be down the next day and pay cash on collection.

He said he wasnt happy with that. I told him I would not be parting with payment until I was in posession of the engine.

He was worried that I'd try and knock his price down from the agreed auction price.

We eventually agreed to meet and i'd be paying cash. I turned up as agreed at the time agreed after a 300 mile drive. Had to wait 2 hours for this sorry **** to drag himself out of bed. His work colleagues in the garage were pleasant enough but I had a feeling they knew i had £1300 in cash and I was going to get fecked over.

I'd already hidden the cash just for that very reason.

We eventually did the deal but it just goes to show that no bugger trusts anyone these days. Judging by stories like the OP's can you blame them.

It's good to see paypal paying up. I've had a couple where i've been stiffed and never seen my money again. The only way to 100% safe is to pay using a credit card.

Last edited by dazdavies; 08 January 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:41 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

looking at that engine on E bay..... the seller has had 4 changes of user name..... I can only think of one reason anyone would do that ....... to hide from someone
Old 08 January 2010, 05:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you cant blame him for pulling out if he has been offered say £1500 for the block,we all would,you know you would !!

BUT,he should of reversed the paypal payment not keep hold of it,thats where he has gone wrong in my moral book (it is a thin one i`ll admit )
Old 08 January 2010, 05:25 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
you cant blame him for pulling out if he has been offered say £1500 for the block,we all would,you know you would !!

BUT,he should of reversed the paypal payment not keep hold of it,thats where he has gone wrong in my moral book (it is a thin one i`ll admit )
I disagree..... he entered a contract to sell it for what it fetched in that auction
Old 08 January 2010, 06:00 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Exactly, if you put something on with no reserve then you accept whatever price it makes! I wouldn't back out, I have sold plenty of things on ebay for lots less than they were worth but thats the chance you take
Old 08 January 2010, 06:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

ive sold stuff too which went for alot less than what it was worth,BUT,no-one then contacted me after and said would i take x amount more for any item,whereas it sounds like thats what happened in this case.

if you sold a set of greddy gauges for £11 via auction and a guy turned up hrs later with £100 out of ebay,say from pistonheads,then the dials would then become,say,damaged whilst being packaged for the ebay winner
Old 08 January 2010, 06:24 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

ive sold stuff too which went for alot less than what it was worth,BUT,no-one then contacted me after and said would i take x amount more for any item,whereas it sounds like thats what happened in this case.

if you sold a set of greddy gauges for £11 via auction and a guy turned up hrs later with £100 out of ebay,say from pistonheads,then the dials would then become,say,damaged whilst being packaged for the ebay winner
Please dont confuse me with anyone you know......
Old 08 January 2010, 06:29 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

The same goes for me, from my feedback on here you can see that Im an honest buyer/seller.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:35 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

So your saying your no better than than w90sam or whatever he's called now? lol. Where i come from a deal is a deal.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:39 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Im not as bad as the ebay guy because i wouldnt of kept the original amount of money,if i had a better offer then id of refunded the amount so wouldnt be scaking anyone,just annoying someone,thats the difference,nobody owns anything until cash is in the HAND.

if i agreed to sell something to someone until they have picked it up its still mine and if before it had been collected i got offered a better amount,yes,id take it.(would have to be a big difference tho from original price)

I did say i have a thin Moral`s book but have traded well on here as my feedback shows
Old 08 January 2010, 06:46 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

You say that nobody owns it until the cash is in hand, I paid him straight after the auction ended in full. I then asked him when was the best to pick it up and arranged a courier so as far as I was concerned the whole deal had been done. He then refused the courier, which means I lose the money, and turns back on the deal with some made up story.

In my eyes a deals a deal, even if its only a deposit left I wouldnt turn back on it.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,yeah,i suppose the deal was sealed if he agreed a collection day via a courier,missed that bit,doh.

Last edited by The Rig; 08 January 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 07:58 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

isnt he a member on here think so i bought a scoop sti off ebay member 500bru fellow impreza brigade scammed me for 60 quid recoverd money off ebay saying that i won a fiat punto 2001 for 700 quid for my daughter absolutley mint after i won it he said hed had offers off 1000 plus and didnt want to sell it so after a hours arguing he said give us a extra 50 notes i told him tu **** off as i won it at that price he agreed with me in the end
Old 08 January 2010, 08:04 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I recognise that username as well, but people can change there names on here as well, noticed it with a few users.
Old 08 January 2010, 08:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If a man cannot keep his word, he is worthless!! If you agree to sell something even at a loss then your should keep your word and honour the sale.

W90sam was the one backing area52 on the typerbrad blown engine thread iirc and threatened a couple of members, until dazdavies called his bluff and he put his tail between his legs and cried off lol

Banny
Old 08 January 2010, 08:19 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
If a man cannot keep his word, he is worthless!! If you agree to sell something even at a loss then your should keep your word and honour the sale.

W90sam was the one backing area52 on the typerbrad blown engine thread iirc and threatened a couple of members, until dazdavies called his bluff and he put his tail between his legs and cried off lol

Banny
yep thats the sam
Old 08 January 2010, 08:29 PM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

Just a general query on the same sort of subject. I do not use E Bay but may at some time.
As has been mentioned in these posts if you bid for an item with no reserve and end up being the highest bidder then it should be yours contract etc.

However the bid may be less than its actually worth. Sellers problem. So you go to pay winning bid and sellers refuses to part with goods.

What is the score then. Maybe in breach of contract but what can you practically do and what could E Bay do.
Thanks.
Old 08 January 2010, 08:31 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Sale agreed is job done as far as i'm concerned. If I agree to part with something for a price to someone then that's what it goes for regardless of whether someone offers me more at a later stage .... and I have been in the situation where i've effectively lost out on more money because I've stuck to my word and kept to a sale agreed.

Just as a comment, Rig it's not a cheap shot / dig but you do realise that you're breaking the law by doing something like what you suggested when using ebay? It may be online and through a computer but it is still a fully legal auction process.
Old 08 January 2010, 08:35 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Stuart - Ebay is an auction site so by law the sellar is obliged to give you the goods in return for the value that's been bid. It's no different to buying a car or a piece of art etc from an auction.

whether that actually happens is another matter since, as several have mentioned, there are a number of ways to scam the system online because it's difficult to monitor, track and police so many auctions happening at one time.
Old 08 January 2010, 09:17 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti

Banny
I knew that i had heard that name before.
I'd be interested to know who on this forum has given w90sam a good rep!

Hope everything gets sorted for you mate, your definatly doing the right thing now though by getting your money back, who knows what the seller may have done to the engine in the mean time since he isnt getting the amount of money he wants!!

Quick Reply: A cautionary tale. Avoid this Ebay seller w90samsti