blob eye - WRX + mods or PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2010, 11:34 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blob eye - WRX + mods or PPP?

hi all,

decided to scratch an itch an get myself a scooby.
initially was looking at facelift classics, but have taken a fancy to an '03 PPP wagon.

took it for a test drive and loved it, quite like the more demure looks of the wagon and blob eye, but my query now is do i go for PPP pack or do i buy a std WRX and spend money modding it?

what mods would i need to get a WRX up to PPP levels or better? (obviously bottomless pockets means anythings possible but i'm talking within reason, think 350hp is the max i'd ever want.

whats better - the known quantity of the PPP, which is a std setup or the mish mash of such and such exhaust paired with soandso air filter, combined with thingbob remap?

ta
Old 07 January 2010, 12:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The WRX standard turbo tops out around 280bhp give or take a little..

so if you want more you would have to change the turbo and injectors at a later date and another remap.

However with a decat downpipe, panel filter and remap you should be around 275bhp roughly..

The uppipe does contain a cat in which would need replacing when/if you then changed the turbo at a later date etc.

The ppp is usually around the 260bhp mark.. if the car is not commanding a huge extra amount for having the ppp then it is worth investing in.
Old 07 January 2010, 12:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

WRX + mods would be my choice, if the PPP one isn't too much more. You'll get more bang for your buck. The PPP will command more money when resale comes around, unless you've modded sensibly.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 07 January 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07 January 2010, 01:06 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or hunt around for an sti wagon, the engines are stronger.
Old 07 January 2010, 01:28 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX and would say not to worry too much about whether it has the PPP or not if you are considering light mods and the car is priced well (i.e. the price premium for a PPP car matches what parts and fitting for similar after market items would be).

My car had the PPP fitted which was a good start to the other mods that I have subsequently fitted (well not me personally, Zak @ Mocom has done them but you get the idea)

The PPP comes with a new back box which makes a good deep sound but doesn't rattle the neighbourhood (important for me as I like my neighbours and its useful to be quiet when being noise tested for track days) and a decatted centre section. To that, over time I added a turbo off a newage STi and decent panel filter and then later on some STi injectors and a sports cat down pipe.

The result is probably over 300bhp (haven't tested it on a dyno) which means it is fast, but not too powerful to strain the engine, clutch or gearbox too much. The engine also looks nice and standard (I don't want a bling engine bay) but it holds its own on track days (limited by lack of driver talent rather than lack of oomph).

On the suspension front, I'm sticking with the WRX suspension as I like the slightly softer ride but have added anti roll bars which work well on the track - a good compromise I think.

Should I have started with an STI? Well maybe, but at the time my wife set a budget for my car (my toy really) and a new age STI was beyond it. Given the prices at the time I've spent about the same getting it to where it is now as I would have done getting an STI originally and I'd only had to spend extra changing the STI spoiler (far prefer the look of the wrx spoiler).

If you're after a wagon (I also like the subtle styling of the wagon version) then as I understand STI versions of them are rare and you may have a hard time finding one.

If you're after silly power then start with an STI, otherwise its worth thinking of what you want to do with it and the compromises of the WRX vs the extra cost of the STI.
Old 07 January 2010, 04:25 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

only my 10p worth mate as i am relatively new to the scooby world myself, i looked a the PPP and was amazed at the price for what you actually get so i did some shopping around on here with my trusty DaveBeckShopBot (patent pending) and i found a Prodrive back box and centre section for the princely sum of a crate of Fosters!! then got a Prodrive sports downpipe, decat uppipe and mid pipe from another member on here (Dease) £90 the lot.

I also sourced a SPT induction kit and bought the heatshield for it.

Got it all fitted and got the wizard Duncan of Dynamix fame to re-map it and have been grinning big time ever since

So all in so far it has cost me all the above plus fitting of the exhaust totalling £640 and is estimated around the 270-280 mark, i did have a RR done but the cooling they had was dreadful resulting in some pants figures, i knew something might be up when they put a large foam block OVER the tmic to keep the bonnet open!!!
Old 07 January 2010, 05:39 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baz995
i knew something might be up when they put a large foam block OVER the tmic to keep the bonnet open!!!
... that would explain it for sure
Old 07 January 2010, 06:15 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
... that would explain it for sure
yeah they looked at me funny when i asked em to move it