Sponsored by:

bug eye wrx or classic sti???

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 05:09 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bug eye wrx or classic sti???

which is better engine? only want to spend round 5-5500k been looking round, sti classics hold money round same price as bug shape, seem to be lot of type r's out there any good? a amate of a mate has one reckons its great just short ratio box means its revving high all time, i prefer classic shape personally but er indors likes newer look? would prefer sti bug but dont use enough to warrant it i,s wrx bug engine any good ?? what is reliable bhp for both?, thanks in advance for any replies
Old 27 December 2009, 05:15 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

personally i think the bug eye is the least desiarable 1 off the lot. the later blob and hawk are nice cars. i would go for the classic a nice type r will be a nice base car fue tweaks and it will be very good all round i have a classic wrx and cant fault it, if its a drivers car you want stay in a raw classic.
a type r is basicly a p1 without the price tag (not far off anyway)
i know the bug eyes are a second slower to 60 wich put me off from the start
Old 27 December 2009, 05:38 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

thought bug/blob same shape?? are type r's short ratio box my mate reckons its revving high even roun 80 and is flat out 125-130
Old 27 December 2009, 05:43 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i got a classic sti, think the box has been changed at some point

it sits a 4000rpm at 80mph, and i hate taking it over 6k

only done it once

so needs a 6th gear or longer ratios - but it is quick up to speed.
Old 27 December 2009, 05:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Type R's are flat out at 155mph not 125-130.

Tony
Old 27 December 2009, 05:51 PM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

£5500 will get you a bug STi. Far beter car than the WRX, and a great all rounder as a road car.
Old 27 December 2009, 05:52 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

my sti v3 used to sit round 3500 at 80 is this normal then just high revving engine, my mate definitely flat out 125ish i walked past him in cozzy at 140 on a private track

Trending Topics

Old 27 December 2009, 06:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by scooby830
my sti v3 used to sit round 3500 at 80 is this normal then just high revving engine, my mate definitely flat out 125ish i walked past him in cozzy at 140 on a private track
Probably still had the limiter on type R boxes are ratio'd to 155mph in standard form, unless he had a new box at some time, only the really old RA's had stupidly short gearing.

Tony
Old 27 December 2009, 06:29 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

bug have round lights like a toyota corola. blob have Blob style lights

the blob sti is a nice car and far better than the bug's
Old 27 December 2009, 06:31 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m@t STImulation
bug have round lights like a toyota corola. blob have Blob style lights

the blob sti is a nice car and far better than the bug's
Better looking, thats it. And lets face it, who bought an Impreza of any model for the looks?
Old 27 December 2009, 06:40 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

well i wudent wanna live with the bug front end if i didnt hav

i personaly prefer the feel of a classic power to weight is better and i find the whole car more responsive than the newer cars. that said i keep thinkinf of a blobSTI myself

its my opinion. :-)

Last edited by m@t STImulation; 27 December 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 06:42 PM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

The classic is a more "chuckable" car. You can throw them into corners and virtually drift whilst tuning the radio. They sort of wrap themselves around you wheras the newage cars with their slightly flared arches are a bit more grown up with middle age spread. I was a bit disappointed with my first newage but will be selling my present one soon and going over to Japan to source a my2004 STi. My early tuned Ra will always be my favourite, well, apart from the Veilside show car and the..... All scoobies are BRILLIANT!
Old 27 December 2009, 06:44 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

The blob is only marginally better looking than the bug, and was only the consequence of some rushed re-touching by Subaru. Still, look at Cannon Fodder's S202 and argue its ugly!
Old 27 December 2009, 06:48 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

s202 is a very special car. i just prefer the blob

but the classics are my cup-o-T
Old 27 December 2009, 06:52 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

dont diss da bug eye sti prodrive ( i have one) only 300 out there and for me thats a reason to have one. im sorry but if you think the blob eye is a good looking car then you have got **** in your eyes! for a start side on it looks like its got a big nose and bonnet line in my opinion aint very nice.i know the bug aint gonna win any beuty awards but there are way too many blob eyes out there for my liking ! bang for buck is better too.i have to say that the hawkeye sti is hands down the winner in my eyes but it carries the price tag with it,if we all liked the same things it would be boring but some times i think some people jump on the band waggon regarding the bugs lights.sorry if it seems like a rant,didnt intend it to be !
Old 27 December 2009, 07:01 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

i just like my classic the origonal rally winner wanted it since i was 14 :-)
Old 27 December 2009, 07:16 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Right this is all my opinion

had a uk turbo ppp loved it to bits went to a 02 wrx hated it, so moved to a 96 wrx then a p1 then a 05 type 25 and now back in a classic sti 5.

For me the newage cars are great, more refined more grown up sort of thing. Heavier and feel a bit boaty/lardy in corners found all the newage cars to understeer like a bugger but with some mods this can be sorted. I did read some where that you need to run 50bhp extra in a newage to feel the same as a classic due to the weight.

Classic feel a bit rawer (if that be a word) bit more hardcore, more rattles more noise which gives more hands on feeling.

If I were you I would drive both As you have to live with it. but for 5-5.5k you can get a nice late sti 5/6 with a few tasteful mods or a slightly older type r which again should have a few nice mods. And if possible I would scrap the idea of a bug wrx the money you will spend on it getting it to feel more responsive etc you may as well put that into it and bye a bug sti (if you can't get one with your budget) the sti comes with better brakes, 6 speed box and as far as I know I think out of the box it is one of if not is the strongest engine out of the factory so you have a better base car to start modding with which I don't care what you say it will happen,

so i would be looking at a classic sti or bug sti and forget about the wrx. Drive them both and see what you think
Old 27 December 2009, 07:49 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Right this is all my opinion

had a uk turbo ppp loved it to bits went to a 02 wrx hated it, so moved to a 96 wrx then a p1 then a 05 type 25 and now back in a classic sti 5.

For me the newage cars are great, more refined more grown up sort of thing. Heavier and feel a bit boaty/lardy in corners found all the newage cars to understeer like a bugger but with some mods this can be sorted. I did read some where that you need to run 50bhp extra in a newage to feel the same as a classic due to the weight.

Classic feel a bit rawer (if that be a word) bit more hardcore, more rattles more noise which gives more hands on feeling.

If I were you I would drive both As you have to live with it. but for 5-5.5k you can get a nice late sti 5/6 with a few tasteful mods or a slightly older type r which again should have a few nice mods. And if possible I would scrap the idea of a bug wrx the money you will spend on it getting it to feel more responsive etc you may as well put that into it and bye a bug sti (if you can't get one with your budget) the sti comes with better brakes, 6 speed box and as far as I know I think out of the box it is one of if not is the strongest engine out of the factory so you have a better base car to start modding with which I don't care what you say it will happen,

so i would be looking at a classic sti or bug sti and forget about the wrx. Drive them both and see what you think
cheers for response mate i prefer the look of classic if honest, what power can sti run reliably and hat mods would it need to run 330-350 reliably ?
Old 27 December 2009, 07:59 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing Wrong with the Bug, but everyone has their own opinions. If the Bug insults you put Prodrive or Morette light on.
Old 27 December 2009, 08:25 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Probably still had the limiter on type R boxes are ratio'd to 155mph in standard form, unless he had a new box at some time, only the really old RA's had stupidly short gearing.

Tony
i was tiold my classic has the ra box in it, and it does sit at 4000rpm @80mph which is too high for my liking

new clutch next year and ill be doing something about the box while its out.
Old 27 December 2009, 08:39 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

6 speed???
Old 27 December 2009, 09:30 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Gain mate this is just my opinion.

As for power thereare many views as a standard sti can let go 280 or still be going strong at 400 I guess it all comes down to how well it has been looked after, regular oil changes / servicing etc. The common figure seems to be around 350bhp and around 350 lb for the gearbox.

Mods well with any luck you will find one with the right ones on already. A full decat, panel filter, uprated fuel pump and a remap would see inthe standard vf28 (I think it is) around 320bhp but you can pop on a vf35 off a newage sti and possible a set of 550 injectors or just a fuel pressure reg on the standard 440's and you should see 350 of each or as close to. At that point the clucth might start to slip it might not, my old p1 ran that set up for near on two years on the standard clucth before it started slipping.

All in all if you buy new or used parts plus fitting the lot and mapping I would say a cost of 2k and you would have a tidy very capable classic sti but as I say there are soo many for sale that the basics have been done I would not rush out and buy the firt one you see.

There is a guy on here who has a well sorted 96 or 97 sti with the full v6 facelift Inc seats modded up to just shy of 400 bhp and I think he wants 5500 for it take a look in the for sale section
Old 27 December 2009, 09:43 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Here you go mate had a look and found it

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...80-400bhp.html

also bigfud is selling his v3 type r also running nearon 400 but ithink he will want more than 5k so not sure if you can stretch your budget I would guess he wants near on 7k for it.

Best of luck but the silver classic looks spot on my book was going to look at t myself but I came across something I could not say no too as it was too good to miss out on
Old 27 December 2009, 11:00 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

cheers mate looks great on the oz chronos, cant spend more really movin house in a month and have baby on way in 2 so gotta watch what i'm spending a bit
Old 28 December 2009, 10:12 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

well mate i am not saying the silver one will be the only impreza out there but it is in your budget, he is a forum member so the chances are it has been looked after, it is well modded so that saves some money on the long run. so that would be my choice ans i have to add i dont know the seller by the way just looks the pic of the bunch
Old 28 December 2009, 10:44 AM
ice643
Scooby Regular

If i were to change my type r ,i would go for a Bugeye STi, nice looking car with the flared arches,
Old 28 December 2009, 03:25 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
well mate i am not saying the silver one will be the only impreza out there but it is in your budget, he is a forum member so the chances are it has been looked after, it is well modded so that saves some money on the long run. so that would be my choice ans i have to add i dont know the seller by the way just looks the pic of the bunch
yeah does look good mate
Old 28 December 2009, 03:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Dunno about that one steve, looks ok but the gearbox wont handle the torque and the engines pushing its luck with that sort of bhp.
I have seen closed deck blocks with holes in them running 300bhp, the block is only a part of the strength, the rods are the weak part and the internals seem standard, personally I wouldnt want to risk it, doesnt matter how well its been serviced if a rod lets go (plus why run the 294mm brakes on that power? I still bet my cdti astra can stop better from 100mph )

Scooby, keep looking, plenty of nice ones out there that you can get your hands on

Tony
Old 28 December 2009, 03:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by jef
i was tiold my classic has the ra box in it, and it does sit at 4000rpm @80mph which is too high for my liking

new clutch next year and ill be doing something about the box while its out.
Think mine runs just over 80@4k, geared to 155mph (JDM STI V5 type R) standard gearbox/gearing.

Tony
Old 29 December 2009, 12:42 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Dunno about that one steve, looks ok but the gearbox wont handle the torque and the engines pushing its luck with that sort of bhp.
I have seen closed deck blocks with holes in them running 300bhp, the block is only a part of the strength, the rods are the weak part and the internals seem standard, personally I wouldnt want to risk it, doesnt matter how well its been serviced if a rod lets go (plus why run the 294mm brakes on that power? I still bet my cdti astra can stop better from 100mph )

Scooby, keep looking, plenty of nice ones out there that you can get your hands on

Tony
If you're talking about my car mate you're wrong with a few things !

The gearbox as built by Zen Performance is capable of 400bhp,there's a few people on here running over 400bhp with the same 'box without issues and one person runs hillclimb events with no issues aswell.

The engine is capable of handling around 1.8 bar or 400bhp as advised by Andy Forrest

The most important fact is that I take very good care of the car,it's always warmed up and cooled down properly and doesn't get driven on wot very often. I've seen people with fully forged engines kill them because they don't look after them !

It's on the 294mm brakes as they work well enough for me,if tracking it then yes it would benefit from bigger brakes. I did have a full set of Brembos but they didn't fit behind the wheels.

Quick Reply: bug eye wrx or classic sti???