What mods for 55 Blog STi PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2009, 08:20 AM
gurdas
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What mods for 55 Blog STi PPP?

Hi guys,

What are the do's and dont's with modifying my STi PPP? Starting with the engine bay what should I be looking at doing, induction kit (or is my standard intake better?).

Just looking for some guidance in getting more from my car.

Thanks
Old 26 December 2009, 08:24 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you want to do? do you want more power? (figures) or are you just after drivability?
Note that changing too much will result in you needing a remap (the car will no longer be a PPP'd car).

Tony
Old 26 December 2009, 08:30 AM
gurdas
Scooby Regular

Bit more power would be nice, at what stage would I require a remap? I also plan on getting a Blitz Nur Spec R over the next few months, how would this affect things?
Old 26 December 2009, 08:56 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gurdas
Bit more power would be nice, at what stage would I require a remap? I also plan on getting a Blitz Nur Spec R over the next few months, how would this affect things?
It would make it louder

Effectively you have a standard map that can be bettered with a custom remap - this will give it more power.

You will get people saying that removing the sports cat is the way to go but the prodrive sports cat is very good and wont hold back performance too much but you can improve the exhaust side of things by removing restrictions like the resonator in the centre section and changing the back box.

Basically any worthwhile mod will need at least checking to make sure it is safe but ideally remapped for to get the best from it.
Old 26 December 2009, 09:08 AM
gurdas
Scooby Regular

Whats the best way of going about removing the resonator in the centre? What centre section should I go for that will match up nicely with a Blitz NSR?
Old 26 December 2009, 09:12 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Japspeed do a good cheap centre section and will fit with the bur spec exhaust - will make it very loud though. Do you plan on taking it on track ?
Old 26 December 2009, 09:53 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

? I also plan on getting a Blitz Nur Spec R over the next few months, how would this affect things?
It will make the neighbours hate you and you will probably change it within 4 months

Trending Topics

Old 26 December 2009, 09:55 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the best way of going about removing the resonator in the centre? What centre section should I go for that will match up nicely with a Blitz NSR?
Nur Spec R comes with its own centre section, it is a slightly larger bore than the Prodrive system (3 inch iirc) but tapers down to about 2.5 where it joins the standard downpipe. Be warned though, they are really loud and can get annoying on a long journey.
If you want to free up a little more burble you could just replace the centre section and keep the rest of the Prodrive system.
Old 26 December 2009, 03:58 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I had the same as you 05 ppp sti, i put on a H&S de res centre and a afterburner vortex backbox (Nur Spec are great sounding exhausts but are too loud all of the time IMO, where as the afterburner can be loud but also quietish IMO)

Colder plugs NGKPRF7B's and a simple filter change (not really a must), that was all i did before the remap as you can still drive it as normal without one. You could have a remap without any of the above but i just wanted to gain as much as possible without any major work/parts.

The car now has more power better MPG and smoother acceleration, and the before and after gave a gain of 50 BHP via deltadash.

Before any of the above i put in better brakepads and bigger ARB's, these mods can make your car a faster car without a power increase.

All IMHO

Aaron
Old 26 December 2009, 10:38 PM
gurdas
Scooby Regular

Wow some great responses guys, shall look into the different options.

Also as for the noise of the Blitz NSR, it should be ok as I only treat the car as a weekend car really. I don't use it on very long journeys (the Vectra gets used for those) and I don't drive to work (as I often either have to catch a train or flight!).

azz do you have a soundclip of your car?
Old 26 December 2009, 11:18 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Last edited by bob r; 27 December 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:59 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Felt a 'huge' difference on my STI8 PPP when I just opened out the stock induction and improved the cold air feed so the car could breathe better. The car discovered it had a lot more power above 5000RPM than before. Cost me nothing except an hour of my time and transformed the car. Seemed odd it should make such a difference but then the stock system almost appeared to be 'blocked' by design IMHO. Never seen a need to remove the resonator on my car.

After that, just removing the exhaust manifold, up-pipe and intercooler y-pipe and porting them improved the cars responsiveness. Also cost me nothing except I was lazy and paid a garage to remove the manifold first time.

Last edited by aXeL; 27 December 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 12:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with the stock air intake system except the filter which is quite restrictive

Tony
Old 27 December 2009, 04:33 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aXeL
Felt a 'huge' difference on my STI8 PPP when I just opened out the stock induction and improved the cold air feed so the car could breathe better. The car discovered it had a lot more power above 5000RPM than before. Cost me nothing except an hour of my time and transformed the car. Seemed odd it should make such a difference but then the stock system almost appeared to be 'blocked' by design IMHO. Never seen a need to remove the resonator on my car.

After that, just removing the exhaust manifold, up-pipe and intercooler y-pipe and porting them improved the cars responsiveness. Also cost me nothing except I was lazy and paid a garage to remove the manifold first time.
Did you get a remap?
Old 27 December 2009, 05:01 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

I've got a Blitz Nur Spec R fitted to mine. As mentioned, the Blitz NSR includes a backbox and centre section (The Nur Spec S comes without centre).

Go for the Blitz, it's definetly the best sounding exhaust for a scooby imo.

I also fitted a Hayward and Scott downpipe and got it remapped and now get some nice pops and bangs along with the sweet rumble