Sponsored by:

Announcement from Zen Performance

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2009, 10:40 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Announcement from Zen Performance

Unfortunately there are a number of rumours circulating that Zen Performance has gone out of business. This is NOT true. Zen Performance is still very much here and trading.

This stems from two facts:
1) We are selling our race car.
2) Paul has established a second company.

The reason for taking these two steps is as follows. We, (Paul and Liz) have decided that we are no longer happy to run Zen Performance in its current format. The hours worked are too long, the stress involved is too extensive and time spent apart from our children unfair. Therefore, we have decided to scale down the business and concentrate on mapping, which is how Zen started. A small mapping business cannot support the costs relating to the ongoing development of a Time Attack car, we are therefore selling it.

The name of our company was originally chosen to imply the tuning of Japanese cars, however as Paul finds himself increasingly mapping a wider variety of cars we have set up a second company with a more generic name. Paul also spends time mapping for third parties / traders and this money has been kept separate from Zen and goes through the second company. These two companies co-exist happily.

Unfortunately, we have had to make the difficult decision to make our two technicians redundant. Once all booked mechanical jobs have been fulfilled, we will no longer be in a position to take any more on.

Any customers with cars currently in our possession are fully aware of this decision. Our suppliers are also fully informed and naturally continue to be paid. We are working with current significant enquiries to ensure that customers get their work done by the appropriate tuners.

In some ways it is the end of an era, however we have spent a great deal of time making this decision and ensuring that this process is done entirely fairly. We are very disappointed that these rumours have come about but the rumours in and of themselves are indicative of the kind of environment in which we do not wish to continue working. We had hoped to take longer to go through this process; however the malicious nature of some of these rumours and the effort that has been put in to spreading them in some cases has forced us to act quickly.

We very much see this as an opportunity to shape our business and move forward in the way that we wish, so we can recapture the enjoyment of tuning cars. We look forward to continue working with our customers and friends in the industry. Please continue to contact us to map your vehicles. We will be supporting customers in Time Attack and other competitive endeavours in 2010 and beyond.

We would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Paul and Liz Blamire
Zen Performance Limited
Old 22 December 2009, 10:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Glad to see that you have not closed and all the best for the future, no matter which direction it takes for you (more success hopefully )

Tony
Old 22 December 2009, 10:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Best of luck to you both getting the work-life banance is never easy.
Old 22 December 2009, 10:58 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Have a great Christmas Guys
Old 22 December 2009, 11:05 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

I have only ever heard great things about you, our staff and the abilities you guys have. i never made it to see you but i do wish you all the best in the future, it is a shame that you will no longer be competing in TA and having a workshop but i think you have got the right attitude there is more to life than money and your kids are far more important so good luck to you both in the future with the new business model and hats off to all your achievements over the years.

kind reagrds

steve
Old 22 December 2009, 11:16 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Never used you but have not heard a bad word said about you, this in itself must be a hats off to you considering the nature of the business.
Good luck in your future venture, being happy is the main thing in life.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best wishes to Paul and Liz in this change to Zen. (Just been to your revised website)
When I saw the TA car for sale I took it as having a rest from a very expensive venture, just that. How rumours concerning the stability of the business, based largely on that, came to circulate, is to me, puzzling and sad unless there might be something to be gained by those who started them!
I've used Zen, will continue to do so and recommend them to anyone considering any of the services Paul now offers.

JohnD

Trending Topics

Old 22 December 2009, 01:16 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Its a shame for us locals..we were so spoilt having the team on our doorstep.....

But the long hours that were put in are no good for family life.....especially with two little ones.

I must get up and collect those headers that have been sat at yours for a while now..

Also glad to hear that Paul will be continuing with the mapping...
Old 22 December 2009, 01:26 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about those stresses and strains Paul. You will be missed as an excellent value, high quality workshop but some things in life are more much important than work.

Rest assured though, my car will still be placed in your hands and your hands only for future mapping And I hope your work remit will still extend to installing Solaris ECUs... Best wishes to you and Liz and see you in the New Year!
Andrew
Old 22 December 2009, 01:36 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Best wishes from myself and Martyn. We heard the rumours a while ago, in fact four people 'phoned to tell us in the one day.. At least you can take comfort from the fact that the news was considered to be significant by so many!
Perhaps it's a case of "there but for the grace of God."
We know full well how tough it can be running a business. Like yourselves, we are a family based unit, and people come first here too.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:41 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Good luck Guys

And most important of all............................HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 22 December 2009, 01:45 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the future and have a great Christmas!!
Old 22 December 2009, 02:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You guys are one of only a handfull of real tuners I would actually recommend and it's sorry to see you go and a loss to the community.

Well done for being bold enough to address the work life balance, family and health is what is most important afterall.

Hope you and the family have a great Christmas.
Old 22 December 2009, 05:21 PM
Dave Blows
Scooby Regular

Default good

Good luck!!!!
Old 22 December 2009, 08:04 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Default re zen

All the best for the future
Old 22 December 2009, 08:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Pavlo
Unfortunately there are a number of rumours circulating that Zen Performance has gone out of business. This is NOT true. Zen Performance is still very much here and trading.

This stems from two facts:
1) We are selling our race car.
2) Paul has established a second company.

The reason for taking these two steps is as follows. We, (Paul and Liz) have decided that we are no longer happy to run Zen Performance in its current format. The hours worked are too long, the stress involved is too extensive and time spent apart from our children unfair. Therefore, we have decided to scale down the business and concentrate on mapping, which is how Zen started. A small mapping business cannot support the costs relating to the ongoing development of a Time Attack car, we are therefore selling it.

The name of our company was originally chosen to imply the tuning of Japanese cars, however as Paul finds himself increasingly mapping a wider variety of cars we have set up a second company with a more generic name. Paul also spends time mapping for third parties / traders and this money has been kept separate from Zen and goes through the second company. These two companies co-exist happily.

Unfortunately, we have had to make the difficult decision to make our two technicians redundant. Once all booked mechanical jobs have been fulfilled, we will no longer be in a position to take any more on.

Any customers with cars currently in our possession are fully aware of this decision. Our suppliers are also fully informed and naturally continue to be paid. We are working with current significant enquiries to ensure that customers get their work done by the appropriate tuners.

In some ways it is the end of an era, however we have spent a great deal of time making this decision and ensuring that this process is done entirely fairly. We are very disappointed that these rumours have come about but the rumours in and of themselves are indicative of the kind of environment in which we do not wish to continue working. We had hoped to take longer to go through this process; however the malicious nature of some of these rumours and the effort that has been put in to spreading them in some cases has forced us to act quickly.

We very much see this as an opportunity to shape our business and move forward in the way that we wish, so we can recapture the enjoyment of tuning cars. We look forward to continue working with our customers and friends in the industry. Please continue to contact us to map your vehicles. We will be supporting customers in Time Attack and other competitive endeavours in 2010 and beyond.

We would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Paul and Liz Blamire
Zen Performance Limited
I'm a strong believer that even those who are passionate about what they do should work to live, not live to work.

Good on you for putting the important things first.

All the best for the future.
Old 22 December 2009, 08:39 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

All the best and every success to you,we need to keep the top people around to look after our scoobies.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:18 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

all the best for the future guys!
Old 22 December 2009, 09:24 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

all the best for the future Paul and Liz
and take care of the family
but spare a thought for the 2 tech's who have been laid off
this close to xmas and at a troubled economic time we are in
Old 22 December 2009, 09:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Good luck guys
Old 22 December 2009, 09:33 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The moral of the story is don't believe every thing you read on the Internet. It's often like Chinese whispers at broadband speeds nowadays.

Hope the people you laid off find work again soon.
Old 23 December 2009, 08:19 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP Team Zen - it was great fun and an honour being a small part of the team but this is the right decision. Great memories from the highs and lows of this year.

Good luck for the future Paul & Liz.
Old 23 December 2009, 08:37 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Paul, & Liz,

You guys have made an enormous contribution to the race scene, showing just what the Subaru is capable of.

Your car will be truly missed on track, but your experience, and efforts will be seen through the results of the cars you continue to map, and contribute to.

Mark.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:46 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

On a purely selfish note I am gutted. However it seems like the right decision based upon your post.

Good luck with everything and thanks for building me a great engine!!
Old 23 December 2009, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

All the best.
Old 23 December 2009, 10:05 AM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

I have been a customer of Zen since they opened their doors and it has been my one stop shop. The service I have recieved in that time has been nothing short of excellent They have had a great team, very dedicated and highly skilled. Balancing work/life is tricky at the best of times, work can very easily consume your life away and having seen first hand how much time and effort has been put in I think the right decision has been made. Family is very important, and I wish you guys all the best

I will still continue to use whatever services Paul has to offer, and hope to catch up soon.

I hope the two techs that have been made redundant find new posts very quickly, they are 2 of the best
Old 23 December 2009, 11:09 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Sad to hear about this, you guys helped turn my old Impreza into a great car, and your knowledge was superb.

I will be in touch soon so you can add some pops & bangs to my IX.

All the best guys, particually Tim, top bloke.

Steve
Old 24 December 2009, 01:02 AM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Such a sad announcement.

Good luck with the future!

The tuning scene in the world of Subaru's really moved forward thanks to you guys.
Old 24 December 2009, 08:18 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Bugger.

So what will Zen be offering now? Parts, service, mail order? What about the RR?

Cheers for the future
Floyd
Old 24 December 2009, 08:49 AM
scooby tech
Scooby Regular

Good luck paul and liz ,

Was just gonna ask the same as ^ will you still be at the same unit ?,and still have the rolling road for mapping/testing ?

Quick Reply: Announcement from Zen Performance