MOT and emissions fail twice now. help

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2009, 06:19 PM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT and emissions fail twice now. help

Hi
Can any one help shed some light on what could be wrong. i have a 96 import sti v3. 1st fail was in october due the cat'ed downpipe peppered with holes and leaking gasket so i got a 2nd hand pipe off here and a new o ring gasket and a got some fluid called catcleaner.

took the car back today and it's failed again but the hc passed this time

here are the readings today

i told him to select a p1 on the comp as here is no setting for a import only a 2000 turbo in hope to stand a better chance

fast idle 5.50% CO ,HC 186 pass lambda 0.86

2nd fast idle test 2.24 CO, 119 HC pass , Lambda 0.93

can any one help? could the fact im using std fule 95oct at the mo to save money be a problem or the could the cotten green air filter i fitted come in to play? need this car on the road for xmas

Cheers Jimbob
Old 18 December 2009, 06:23 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

you should really be running your car on v-power or tesco 99 for a start as it won't take long for something to go wrong on an import on normal 95. the problems could be faulty lambda sensor or maf, not sure if anything else but they were what was wrong on mine when it wouldn't pass the emissions. hope this helps mate.
Old 18 December 2009, 06:25 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

has the car been mapped for 95??? if not your downpipe wont be the only thing peppared with holes you pistons will be aswell
Old 18 December 2009, 06:27 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Are the required CATS fitted, and working?
Old 18 December 2009, 06:35 PM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

this is my 2nd time i've had std fuel in it as the nearest shell and tesco is 20 miles away it will be mapped for 99 for sure . when i put this new downpipe on (about 20 miles ago) it felt like a new car with the power gain. should i tru a ecu reset with this pipe?
Old 18 December 2009, 06:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You haven't mentioned emission readings at tickover. Were these OK? I doubt it somehow.

I am sure you realise but readings at fast idle are way out. A decent garage should be able to give you some pointers by a process of elimination but results do not fall under the "just needs some fine tuning" category I'm afraid.

Let us know when sorted. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 18 December 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 18 December 2009, 06:55 PM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

the garage is not the best to help you just a bunch of grumpy f**kers as i asked about my car on the v5 log book is blank at the co readings and i ask it should not need a cat and was shot down in flames as im talking crap import or not

tick over was 2.13 CO

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2009, 08:41 AM
bignath4607
Scooby Regular

being an import it should be running on 99 octane only factors that effect emmisions will be either the lambda sensor or the cat
Old 19 December 2009, 08:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, let me point out on your "savings" here...

95 ron in a version 3 sti won't save you any money, infact it will just cost you a new engine@2.5k over an extra d quid a tank (and it doesn't take long to kill it either).

Then there is the fact its going to try to compensate for the 95 ron fuel (badly I may add) so there goes your emissions out the door.

Then I would listen to your mot station, import or not, its been a legal requirement since 1989 that cars fitted with catalytic converters need them on and should not be removed (again running 95 ron fuel won't help here), and since 1993 its been law that all cars will have cats fitted (imports included).

Now if your engine isn't already damaged from the 95 ron fuel you put in, I would go fill her up with shell v power or tesco 99 ron (and add some octane booster to ensure that 95 ron is boosted up also) and no doubt she will run better for it (your fuel should burn better being higher octane).

Tony
Old 19 December 2009, 09:04 AM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

going to shell fill up on v power and change the air fillter back to the original one and reset ecu and give it a run with this new cat on see it that will help very very pissed with it tbh

Jimbob

ED: what should i be telling them to test the car on on there computer 2000 turbo, P1 , i think class 1 or class 2 ?

Last edited by JimbobUK; 19 December 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 19 December 2009, 09:17 AM
cdm1
Scooby Regular

This might help some questions
MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - exhaust emissions
Old 19 December 2009, 12:10 PM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

Just back from another test and it's failed again 1.5 CO this time the only thing now is the lambda? if it was the cat it's self i would not be getting 1.5% am i right in thinking?
Old 19 December 2009, 03:44 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

I've got 97 WRX import and in Japan they run on 100RON, so the nearer you can get to it the better, i use 97 unleaded at the mo. My emissions failed the first time too, but they said it probably just needed a good clear through, so they gave it a warm up run and gave it some cleaning additives and it was fine. They said all Scoobies have problems with emissions and always run near the mark.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 20 December 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

be the front o2 sensor
Old 19 December 2009, 04:35 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Just on the back of the fuel thing, you should NOT run your car on 95 ron unless

a) it has been mapped for it
b) you have popped some NF octane booster in the tank, think it's 100ml for an extra 2ron so you would need 200 per tank of fuel to raise it up to 99.

Also as tony has said and mean no offence hear mate and if I am wrong I am sorry etc but if you are trying to save money by filling up with a cheaper fuel

a) as tony said the cost of a decent engine bill will be 2.5k upwards so it is false economy.
b) maybe an impreza is the wrong car choice for you as the need to be maintained and the fuel is important, i was told today that for every one tank of lower grade fuel will take till the third fill up of say v power for the traces o the low grade fuel to be gone so I would suggest you take it easy for the next two tanks.

As for the mot, mate it sounds like the garage in question are up to speed on your car, take it to someone like David at api, scoobyclininc or who ever is nearest to you. Let them look at it and I am sure they will get it sorted for you the same day
Old 19 December 2009, 05:50 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

when i got my 94 import it was fully decatted past mot no probs and the guy that sold me it said yeah normal unleaded he used all the time since then ive reset ecu and always run v power regardless of cost as id rather fill my car on v power than cheap unleaded crap and end up with a rebuild because u wanted to save a few pennies not a good idea dont be a grip when it comes to picking the rite fuel for ure scoob no offence by the way mate
Old 19 December 2009, 05:58 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

If you can't afford high octane fuel for your car, sell it. You'll bum the engine running on 95 RON, it's such a massive false economy it's unreal.
Old 19 December 2009, 06:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Right, let me point out on your "savings" here...

95 ron in a version 3 sti won't save you any money, infact it will just cost you a new engine@2.5k over an extra d quid a tank (and it doesn't take long to kill it either).

Then there is the fact its going to try to compensate for the 95 ron fuel (badly I may add) so there goes your emissions out the door.

Then I would listen to your mot station, import or not, its been a legal requirement since 1989 that cars fitted with catalytic converters need them on and should not be removed (again running 95 ron fuel won't help here), and since 1993 its been law that all cars will have cats fitted (imports included).

Now if your engine isn't already damaged from the 95 ron fuel you put in, I would go fill her up with shell v power or tesco 99 ron (and add some octane booster to ensure that 95 ron is boosted up also) and no doubt she will run better for it (your fuel should burn better being higher octane).

Tony

Just being pedantic but you are NOT required by law to have a cat fitted but you ARE required to have emissions at a certain max level. It is assumed that fitting a cat is the only way of achieving this.

I use an alternative technology and, for example, my 1989 Peugeot with over 200,000 miles on the clock, would pass the exhaust test under cat rules even though it is pre-cat age and doesn't have a cat fitted. It runs perfectly on 95 RON but is set up for 97/98 RON. There is some minor pinking every now and again but it has lasted for 20 years and runs like a dream. SN rules prevent me from naming this technology and, anyway, I get insulted by SN members if I do.

dl
Old 19 December 2009, 10:40 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

gas????
Old 20 December 2009, 10:52 AM
JimbobUK
Scooby Regular

ill have to get a lambda now worse time of year