Advice for car choice please

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2009, 03:16 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for car choice please

Hi all

I'm trying to work out what car is best for my needs, so please excuse the post as not being marque specific.

My criteria is; Quick (0-60 sub 5 if poss, 0-100 about 10-12) GT-ability (touring/luggage/comfort!), track-ability (ie drive to 'ring etc and then be good round it) not too expensive to run (fuel, tyres, ins etc) and good engine noise!? Budget up to 12k-ish. Occasional track use, maybe the odd sprint or two.

I'd originally thought of a roadster; 3.2 Boxster S etc but I don't think they'd have enough space for me (not personally!) especially as it would be handy to get spare wheels/tyres/tools in for trackdays.

So then I moved on to 'GT' type cars like a 944 turbo, 350z etc

Then the e46 M3 seemed ideal, but I think running costs on an Impreza/Evo/R32 wouldn't be as costly.

So, I'm back where I left off (my last car was an STiRA) and would like advice as to the pros/cons of my short-list! Impreza Spec-C, Type 25, Evo 8 and R32 GTR

Or indeed if you think I've ended up at the wrong conclusions and I should be looking elsewhere!

Cheers
wad
Old 18 December 2009, 03:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well not expensive to run.... not sure what that means but thats the spec c, type 25, R32 GTR and evo out of the window then
It looks like your after a track day toy rather than an everyday car with the occasional track day thrown in, so ariel atom, caterham etc will suit you better I feel

Tony
Old 18 December 2009, 03:26 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well not expensive to run.... not sure what that means but thats the spec c, type 25, R32 GTR and evo out of the window then
It looks like your after a track day toy rather than an everyday car with the occasional track day thrown in, so ariel atom, caterham etc will suit you better I feel

Tony
Interesting, but not matching my criteria of everyday car with the odd trackday etc and I really wouldn't want to drive to the 'ring or tour in a track-day special
Old 18 December 2009, 03:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

What about a Spec C or an S202/3, lightweight ( for a newage anyway ), packed with all the STi toys, fast even in 'standard' form.

I have an S202 and it is a great car, I have recently had it mapped by Bob Rawle and it flies. Just ported headers, up pipe and a full 3" system and then another map should see a very healthy bhp figure.

Not too expensive to run compared to any other Impreza, but you do not buy a performance car to count the pennies it costs to keep it on the road.
Old 18 December 2009, 05:15 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
What about a Spec C or an S202/3, lightweight ( for a newage anyway ), packed with all the STi toys, fast even in 'standard' form.

I have an S202 and it is a great car, I have recently had it mapped by Bob Rawle and it flies. Just ported headers, up pipe and a full 3" system and then another map should see a very healthy bhp figure.

Not too expensive to run compared to any other Impreza, but you do not buy a performance car to count the pennies it costs to keep it on the road.
Spec C is on the list If I went for another Impreza, it would be my fourth! so I've a good idea on the costs to run one just thought that an M3 would probably cost more.

Cheers