Sponsored by:

Another new car thread.

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2009, 10:32 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new car thread.

Im going to be buying a new scooby after christmas and i had my heart set on getting a wrx sti type RA v4/5.

But after looking at the prices abit more on the blobeye sti's i could up my budget abit to get one(a 2003).What i want to know is whats the best blobeye to buy?Im going to be keeping this car for at few years and i will be modding it a fair abit,i would like to get it to 400+ bhp,thats the main reason in wanting to go for a blobeye as it would cost less to get extra bhp/torque.
What would be the best one to go with?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Go JDM to get the stronger, more powerful and more easily tunable engine, with twin scroll turbo and equal length headers (manifolds) all leading to a higher 8k red-line. You'll also benefit from DCCD-A, better suspension, HID headlights, backlit sweep dials and rear wiper. If you can stretch to a Spec C then you'll get lighter panels and glass, better still suspension and a much more focused drivers weapon. Litchfield Imports Type 20/25 models are superb and well worth consideration with their Miltek exhausts allied to Powerstation remaps, and adjustable AST suspension (+ Whiteline bits). If you can save a bit longer and afford an 05 or newer, then you'll get the Spec C geometry revisions too.
Old 13 December 2009, 11:02 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Go JDM to get the stronger, more powerful and more easily tunable engine, with twin scroll turbo and equal length headers (manifolds) all leading to a higher 8k red-line. You'll also benefit from DCCD-A, better suspension, HID headlights, backlit sweep dials and rear wiper. If you can stretch to a Spec C then you'll get lighter panels and glass, better still suspension and a much more focused drivers weapon. Litchfield Imports Type 20/25 models are superb and well worth consideration with their Miltek exhausts allied to Powerstation remaps, and adjustable AST suspension (+ Whiteline bits). If you can save a bit longer and afford an 05 or newer, then you'll get the Spec C geometry revisions too.
Thanks for that,thats great info.
I did think that the imports would be the best to go for.My max budget would be 7k for the car and dont really want to save up for much longer.So a wrx sti(import) has the strongest engine and gearbox?and is the best model to go for with my budget of 7k? Also do they come with dccd?
Im looking at getting a my03.

Last edited by Olly.Wrx; 13 December 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 13 December 2009, 11:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont get a twin scrolled JDM for 7, maybe 10 minimum for a semi decent example otherwise your looking at a uk or early jdm bug example.

Tony
Old 13 December 2009, 11:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yup MY03 STi's have DCCD. A mate of mine fell lucky with a desperate seller last year and got an 05 JDM STi in white for £8.5k, so play hard and haggle well, looking for cars which are struggling to sell.
Old 13 December 2009, 11:35 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

I have seen a few jdm wrx sti's for 7k 7.5k my03.Would this be the best for me to buy with mu budget and plans to aim for 400+bhp?

Heres one which looks ok to me for the money.

Subaru : subaru wrx sti 2003
Old 13 December 2009, 11:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Don't just fantasize about massive power. A good handling average power car is capable of trouncing a big power machine that hasn't had its suspension and chassis sorted. My old WRX running 260bhp proved this many times over on both road and track. For me, the perfect road driving Scooby is a JDM STi running 310-330bhp with some quality coilovers (AST are brilliant, BC's are supposedly very good for the low cost) and supplementary chassis parts (ARB's, links, bracing etc) and good tyres (RE070 dry, Sessanta/F1's wet). A car set up like this would monster a 400bhp car which is otherwise standard as the power gets hard to keep under control with the shortcomings of the OE set-up on typical challenging British A-B roads. Also, many drivers struggle in having enough ability to keep 400+ under control. Litchfield's Type 20's are pretty much there as perfect road cars.

Last edited by corradoboy; 13 December 2009 at 11:47 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2009, 11:56 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Don't just fantasize about massive power. A good handling average power car is capable of trouncing a big power machine that hasn't had its suspension and chassis sorted. My old WRX running 260bhp proved this many times over on both road and track. For me, the perfect road driving Scooby is a JDM STi running 310-330bhp with some quality coilovers (AST are brilliant, BC's are supposedly very good for the low cost) and supplementary chassis parts (ARB's, links, bracing etc) and good tyres (RE070 dry, Sessanta/F1's wet). A car set up like this would monster a 400bhp car which is otherwise standard as the power gets hard to keep under control with the shortcomings of the OE set-up on typical challenging British A-B roads. Also, many drivers struggle in having enough ability to keep 400+ under control. Litchfield's Type 20's are pretty much there as perfect road cars.
Theres no way i would just up the bhp and torque and not spend money on the suspension and brakes.This will be a project i will be doing overtime and i will also want it to handle very well aswell as being very quick.I will be doing a few track days in it too.I just want to make sure i buy the right blobeye first,then i will look into modding it alot more.Cheers for all the advise.
Old 13 December 2009, 11:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Don't forget driver training then too. Best mod I ever made ! You might need better brakes for serious and frequent track work, but quality Roadcraft training will mostly negate brake use on the road.
Old 14 December 2009, 12:17 AM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Don't forget driver training then too. Best mod I ever made ! You might need better brakes for serious and frequent track work, but quality Roadcraft training will mostly negate brake use on the road.
When i get my new car im planing on doing a few track days at my local track(Goodwood) where you can have a instructor to help tell you the racing lines and braking points ect.I will defo have a instructor for the first few times i go.I just want to find out what model would be best to go for,and i thought asking on here would be the place for me to find out.
Old 14 December 2009, 12:26 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Re the brakes, I personally think the OE Brembo calipers and discs are more than adequate for the car, but would use Performance Friction pads, and maybe add braided stainless lines. Many people throw lots of cash at AP's etc, but as good as they are, whether you actually NEED them is up to how you drive the car and how you feel it is performing. Often the desire to own all the best bits overtakes the actual need for them !
Old 14 December 2009, 08:03 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers all the advise corradoboy its appreciated.

I think this thread has gone abit off topic and i still dont know the answer to my first question.
Is the jdm my03 wrx sti impreza the best car for me to buy with my budget of 7k?and plans go to 400+bhp?
Am i right in thinking that the my03 wrx sti engine is capable of 400+bhp on the standard internals if the car is modded and mapped properly?
Also the gearbox will be capable of handling the torque?
Old 14 December 2009, 09:17 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Really want to know asap,please help me out.
Old 14 December 2009, 09:50 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly.Wrx
Cheers all the advise corradoboy its appreciated.

I think this thread has gone abit off topic and i still dont know the answer to my first question.
Is the jdm my03 wrx sti impreza the best car for me to buy with my budget of 7k?and plans go to 400+bhp?
Am i right in thinking that the my03 wrx sti engine is capable of 400+bhp on the standard internals if the car is modded and mapped properly?
Also the gearbox will be capable of handling the torque?
Yes with 7k that would be a good choice if its a good car but the ad doesn't say much.
Stickers always put me off but worth a look if its local.
Service history is a must or you will never know if its been looked after.
Engine should be OK with that power and the gearbox will take a lot more than that just make sure the fluids get changed as they should be
Old 15 December 2009, 11:59 AM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
Yes with 7k that would be a good choice if its a good car but the ad doesn't say much.
Stickers always put me off but worth a look if its local.
Service history is a must or you will never know if its been looked after.
Engine should be OK with that power and the gearbox will take a lot more than that just make sure the fluids get changed as they should be
Thanks for the answer.
The car i posted in the link was just the model really,im not a fan of the stickers either.I will make sure its a good car with fsh when i buy one.When do the cam belts need changing on these jdm wrx sti my03?