Sponsored by:

Weird story but true

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2009, 12:48 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird story but true

I advertised my WRX on Pistonheads ( I want an MX5) , A guy has contacted me from Finland.... wanted me to take it to Harwich for him to pay for it and he will go home on the ferry in it .
Afer a few Emails back and forth ( me explaining I wasnt prepared to take it to Harwich) the guy offered me £200 more than I was asking for it so I,de take to Harwich.
Any way I didnt take it , now this morning I have a guy in England trying to buy it on behalf of a guy from Finland .

Should I be worrried ?.... Anyone else had this happen ?
I,m thinking theft here
Old 06 December 2009, 12:52 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

just get the cash first!
Old 06 December 2009, 12:53 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Scam!!
Old 06 December 2009, 01:00 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

I sold my p1 to a guy on here who came from the Netherlands and it has all gone through without an issue just make sure before you sign the log book over get the cash drive the car down to the bank and deposit the money then sign over the log book and you will be fine.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:39 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Could be a scam, but i had a guy from Malta who wanted to buy my old celica.

Thought it was a scam but he came all the way here with cash and all was good.... the car was like 4k cheaper for him over here he said so thats why he went through all the trouble.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:53 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

When i was selling my m3 had the same kind of predicament. Guy phoned me made an offer (500 less than asking price) I declined. Phones again offering asking price but i need to meet him at Manchester airport ( i decline) Calls again offering 200 extra to bring it the the airport (i decline) Then calls asking me to meet him at doncaster train station, hes in desperate need of my car as he goes home early in the morning etc. It just seemed like something was up so said i wouldnt sell my car to him.

Theres been a few bankers draft scams going around lately and they all are similar stories! (fake bankers draft that doesnt clear) Guy makes you a "cash" offer but then, last minute, tells you he has no means of getting home etc "will you take bankers draft tonight?"

But if they have cash then thats fair enough, have a friend with you (or two) to help count the money (check for fake notes)

You also have to do something different with the log book as they are taking it to another country, not sure thoughb

hope some of that helps
Old 06 December 2009, 02:11 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some are scams then some are legit,another forum memeber sold his bike to a polish guy who was saying similair to the op etc,all sounded fishy,we all said scam,turned out the guy turned up gave him the english ££££ and off he went

hard to tell nowadays,their english isnt great so usually straight to the point which often seems blunt and scamish but can be legit,have your wits about you and dont go alone or insist on the cash at your door etc

good luck

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2009, 02:21 PM
ian.b
BANNED

Some of you are missing the basics here. FAKE MONEY ????
Old 06 December 2009, 02:26 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

meet him and take him to your bank so you can deposit money in and they will check it for you.if all ok then give him the keys.if anything dodgy with the money he will be kept hold of until police turn up.
Old 06 December 2009, 02:44 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rifleman
meet him and take him to your bank so you can deposit money in and they will check it for you.if all ok then give him the keys.if anything dodgy with the money he will be kept hold of until police turn up.

That is good advise.

But watch out with bankers drafts as banks cant verify them on the spot like this. They would advise you to wait till it clears before handing keys over etc.

If they are scammers, they will try and put you on the spot. Saying stuff like "i must have the car tonight as i go home in the morning, will you take a bankers draft etc" They will only be able to meet you late at night (banks closed), the guy who i had a dealing with wanted to meet me at 10pm and he was supposedly going home at 5am the next morning.

Cash is cash! Iv never seen fake money that looks 100% real. The best iv seen would have only passed if it was in a wad of real notes (fake £10 within £100)

But thats only my experience and my opinion
Old 06 December 2009, 03:25 PM
subaru-impreza-2000
Scooby Regular

pistonheads is a very dodgy place.. loads of scammers try there luck with cars on there. But just make sure you take extra care in anything you do and if you think someone is dodgy then dont even reply to there messages..
Old 06 December 2009, 04:09 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian.b
Some of you are missing the basics here. FAKE MONEY ????
Surely the basic question is: You want an MX5?

Only joking!

I've heard a lot of second hand superbikes are going abroad as they're much cheaper in the UK. Maybe it is the same with Scoobs?
Old 06 December 2009, 04:32 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

i sold a car on ebay a few years ago and when the lad turned up he had a huge wad of £50 notes.i took him in the car to my bank and they checked them for me then got the lad to drop me home.
Old 06 December 2009, 04:57 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all down to the exchange rate being better when buying from England at the moment. Why not get him to paypal over the extra £200 he has offered and then meet him at the said place?

If you look over on the MLR and similar, lots of cars are currently going abroad.
Old 06 December 2009, 05:05 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

I have decided theres no way I would take the car anywhere , the guy that phoned me has witheld his number too , so I,m a little suspicous.
I dont mind keeping the car so its not gonna be a problem , but thanks for all your suggestions