Prosport stepper gauges fitting issues

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2009, 02:06 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prosport stepper gauges fitting issues

Hi folks,

Well, I ordered boost/oil temp/oil press gauges from Prosport via the recent groupbuy.
Had a mate round to fit them today and after running all the wiring etc, we can't get the gauges to work properly.
My mate has installed a few sets of gauges (different makes) without any problems.

The boost gauge (in PSI) was below 0 (mate said it should be sitting at 0?)
Nothing from the oil temp and the oil pressure will only work if you hold the connector in the back of the gauge.
The temp is the gauge that has the power and the other 2 are daisy chained into it.

Can one gauge affect the others?

Are there any solutions other than sending them back to Singapore?

Thanks
Old 29 November 2009, 03:40 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Check the wiring it is possible to get a faulty sender but not all 3. Sounds like they haven't been connected up to the senders at all they give erratic readings when not plugged in.
They are easy to fit if you have some mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Boost gauge will be in negative if the car is sat ticking over.
Oil temp will be zero if its not warmed up.

Last edited by rbaz; 29 November 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 29 November 2009, 05:29 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as baz says. i wrote a fitting guide on here for them. check it out.

Ensure the connectors are fitted correctly with a screwdrive to seat them properly.
Old 29 November 2009, 06:28 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...ure-boost.html
Old 29 November 2009, 06:34 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

I'd had a wee look at your guide.

I should've said, we're going the sandwich plate way and it's on a newage (if that makes any difference?)

Do the 3 gauges get linked via the daisy chain or 3 separate power leads?

Thanks
Old 29 November 2009, 06:54 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richie856
Cheers.

I'd had a wee look at your guide.

I should've said, we're going the sandwich plate way and it's on a newage (if that makes any difference?)

Do the 3 gauges get linked via the daisy chain or 3 separate power leads?

Thanks
Daisy chain is fine, if power was the problem they wouldn't light up at all.
Sandwich plate is not the best way to get an accurate reading on the Subaru engine.
Old 29 November 2009, 07:10 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right guys

i fitted his gauges for him, the oil pressure would only work if i hold the connector from the sender onto the gauge a certain way, let go and it doesnt read

the boost gauge is very erractic, same gain i hold the wire from the sender on the gauge it does work, but let the connector go, it become erractic again

the oil temp doesnt want to read at all, got resistance thro the sender, but gauge flashes like it's not seeing the sender

also the sandwich plate bolts supplied were the wrong ones as the subaru filter wouldnt screw onto it right, lucky i had a spare kicking about

i install my own gauges and a a friends gauges as well with no issues at all

Last edited by Neil XR; 29 November 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 29 November 2009, 07:39 PM
Richie Cross
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Neil XR
right guys

i fitted his gauges for him, the oil pressure would only work if i hold the connector from the sender onto the gauge a certain way, let go and it doesnt read

the boost gauge is very erractic, same gain i hold the wire from the sender on the gauge it does work, but let the connector go, it become erractic again

the oil temp doesnt want to read at all, got resistance thro the sender, but gauge flashes like it's not seeing the sender

also the sandwich plate bolts supplied were the wrong ones as the subaru filter wouldnt screw onto it right, lucky i had a spare kicking about

i install my own gauges and a a friends gauges as well with no issues at all
Hello there!!

I was hoping you would be along tonight. Couldn't help myself so thought I'd get the ball rolling
Old 30 November 2009, 10:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Prosport gauges are a lot like Defis, usually easy to fit and reliable, but make one mistake and they give problems.

Yours SOUNDS like poor connections. I assume you are talking about the connections from the senders to the gauges? Or the sender to the gauge wire? Have you got them seated properly? On Defis there is an audible "click" when the connector seats. Are any of the pins bent? Are any of the connector females loose? Bent? Do the same with the daisy chain wires. If it were ONE, I'd suspect a dry joint, but two?

I've just had a SERIOUS problem when fitting two more Defi gauges: before I started, everything worked, once the new gauges were in: NOTHING

Turned out to be low battery voltage since the car is off the road

Your oil TEMPERATURE maybe that the sender isn't earthed. Try a separate earth wire from battery earth to the sender, you can HOLD it on the sender to try it, then if it works, devise a method of putting it in place properly.

HTH
Old 30 November 2009, 12:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it but the Prosport gauges in my sons EVO IX and his G/F's Fiesta ST have been a pain in the ****!

JohnD
Old 30 November 2009, 01:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
Hate to say it but the Prosport gauges in my sons EVO IX and his G/F's Fiesta ST have been a pain in the ****!

JohnD
In what way John? And have they got it sorted?
Old 30 November 2009, 02:54 PM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

Are the gauges flashing.
Just fitted boost and oil pressure to my scooby and i had the same problem m8.
What i did was disconect the battery earth again unplug the daisy chain and main power feed plug from each gauge and leave them for a few minutes. Then i pluged everything in and made sure the plugs went all the way in by pushing them with my test light point. Earth back on. Job done. Hope this helps.
Old 30 November 2009, 03:14 PM
STI Pretender
Scooby Newbie

Hi Ritchie,

Can you swap the power feed to another gauge and daisy chain the temp. Might also be worth testing each gauge separately and see if it is just a faulty connection in one causing the others not to work.

Process of elimination.

Check battery voltage
Check earth connection
Test gauges individually
Test gauges linked in different order.

As said before boost gauges should be below 0 until you start getting boost.
Old 30 November 2009, 03:42 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just had my Prosport boost gauge fitted this morning (professionally) and everything seems to be working perfectly. Not 110% certain of their accuracy, but it's close enough.

Just out of interst, mine reads 0 until you switch the ignition on and then it drops down which I believe is right is it not ??
Old 30 November 2009, 03:52 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I have created a post about problems with my Apexi gauge so just adding on the end of this one.

My apexi gauge ain't lighting up, so I'm getting some prosport gauges a boost and a Oil pressure gauge. Now am I right in thinking that my boost gauge I can just connect to the vaccum hose and wiring of my apexi. Also for my oil pressure it will ot be supplied with a hose kit to coonect to the sensor near the alt.

Thanks
Old 30 November 2009, 04:12 PM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

your boost gauge pipe will fit to the vacume box supplied with your prosports, this then has a plug which runs to the gauge itself. the oil pressure has a sender which can replace your original pressure sender if required. I fitted the both senders with a t piece from R SPEC. your apexi only has a lighting feed and earth so you need to find a permanent 12v and an ignition 12v. When finding the ignition use one that stays live while cranking over the engine. This stops the gauges going into shut down seremony if your car struggles to start for any reason.
Old 30 November 2009, 04:30 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

O k thnax for ur advice. So a bit more wiring is required. So do u know weather my apexi has a vacume box. I'm going to buy a t-piece i think. heard them sandwhich plates arn't to good.
Old 01 December 2009, 01:04 AM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobs 4 life
Are the gauges flashing.
Just fitted boost and oil pressure to my scooby and i had the same problem m8.
What i did was disconect the battery earth again unplug the daisy chain and main power feed plug from each gauge and leave them for a few minutes. Then i pluged everything in and made sure the plugs went all the way in by pushing them with my test light point. Earth back on. Job done. Hope this helps.
Yeah, they were all flashing and beeping like mad!

Got a few things to try now
Old 01 December 2009, 01:06 AM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Pretender
Hi Ritchie,

Can you swap the power feed to another gauge and daisy chain the temp. Might also be worth testing each gauge separately and see if it is just a faulty connection in one causing the others not to work.

Process of elimination.

Check battery voltage
Check earth connection
Test gauges individually
Test gauges linked in different order.

As said before boost gauges should be below 0 until you start getting boost.

Hi Rob,

On nights this week but then off for a week so i'll get round to trying everthing out.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01 December 2009, 02:43 AM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
O k thnax for ur advice. So a bit more wiring is required. So do u know weather my apexi has a vacume box. I'm going to buy a t-piece i think. heard them sandwhich plates arn't to good.
As far as i know Apexi do not do a gauge that has a seperate box for your vacume pipe to connect to. Most imports if that what your car is come with an Apexi stuck onto the dash and they are good gauges but the prosports are more acurate. A t piece is the best way in my opinion as the oil pressure sender is a bit on the large side plus the sandwich plate lowers your oil filter, and i would not like it underneath my car. If you need any advice when you get the gauges pm me I spent 18 years as an auto electrician and i will help all i can m8. but the instructions you get with them are easy to understand
Old 01 December 2009, 06:15 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Hey,
Yes my MY99 STI is a import and is stuck on dash. So when I get my new ones I will have them mounted on my pillar. I'm going to use a t-piece. And thanx for the help I will pm you when I get them, I've got a local garage to fit them for me so lets hope they can do it lol
Old 09 December 2009, 02:24 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I am having issues with my prosport stepper gauges. All wired up and working fine on white, but when we tried to wire them to orange, only one gauge works . While wired to white they flash amber and white on the opening/closing ceremony, so we know the amber is working, but god knows what we need to do to keep them amber. Anyone had the same problems?
Old 11 December 2009, 05:45 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Think we've managed to get the oil temp working but no joy with the other two.
Looks like they'll be going back to Singapore.
Have e-mailed xyberautos......but no reply yet
Old 05 August 2010, 08:10 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

got some probs myself guys,the gauges start up and work great but they dont show the shutdown sequence and they dont keep any settings i set them to.so when the ingnition is turned back on the alarms sound,only the white wire is not connected so what could the problem be?