Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to decide by tomorrow help!

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2009, 06:06 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to decide by tomorrow help!

Hi all,
I have a major decision to make.

I have 4500 to spend on a scooby.
Up to now i have been set on a classic sti but i have just been tempted.....

There are a few 2003 impreza wrx turbos in my price range.
So what do i do?

buy a classic sti with 265hp or take a huge power hit and buy a 225hp wrx but a newer car?

Is the 03 wrx turbo a good car to own and how easy is it to get on par with a classic sti power wise?

My wife said if i buy the newer car i can have 1000 quid to play with it so is that enough cash to up the power and make up for the loss of not buying an sti? aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh help me.
thanks
Old 24 November 2009, 06:16 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

I have a newer car 2002 bugeye, which i love and prefer greatly over the classic which i also looked at, so why not look at the bugeye, mines 52 plate only done 47000 and cost me £5500, now i get to play with it and will have it to 300bhp next year, the best bit is messing around to get there, not buying one already done. please the wife and get newer and then if your into your cars and love doing bits yourself u can buy and fit new parts and have lots of enjoyment and satisfaction doing so. hope this helps.
Old 24 November 2009, 06:20 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

I have also looked at the bugeye 2001/2002 wrx as well.I love modifying cars and relish the thought of spending a grand on engine mods but its just how much will i have to spend to acheive 300 bhp?

will 1 grand get me near?
Old 24 November 2009, 06:27 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

see thread above yours by powerwrx, he is looking to spend a grand and will prob get about 290bhp from the mods he has in mind. You just need to do the mods properly, and not rush into buying anything because your excited about doing it, thats when you can buy crap and waste ya money. Get all ya answers and advice from here, seem to have all the scooby guru's in one place on this site. im getting decat pipe full system,(not sure of make yet) upgraded panel filter(prob k+n or green), heard you can modify your airbox for more performance so will ask about that later on, change turbo, good plugs, leads, fluids etc..and most importantly, good place to take it for remap.
Old 24 November 2009, 06:30 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss_scooby
see thread above yours by powerwrx, he is looking to spend a grand and will prob get about 290bhp from the mods he has in mind. You just need to do the mods properly, and not rush into buying anything because your excited about doing it, thats when you can buy crap and waste ya money. Get all ya answers and advice from here, seem to have all the scooby guru's in one place on this site. im getting decat pipe full system,(not sure of make yet) upgraded panel filter(prob k+n or green), heard you can modify your airbox for more performance so will ask about that later on, change turbo, good plugs, leads, fluids etc..and most importantly, good place to take it for remap.

i agree with the above totally think about how far you want to mod before buying you can mod a sti more than a wrx some figures sti 400 bhp wrx 340 your choice
Old 24 November 2009, 06:31 PM
wrx aly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by konceppt
I have also looked at the bugeye 2001/2002 wrx as well.I love modifying cars and relish the thought of spending a grand on engine mods but its just how much will i have to spend to acheive 300 bhp?

i also bought a bugeye 02 plate in red metalic with full s/ history and had already some mods done with 73.000 i paid £4.300 as i was thinking in to a evo but all i would get for 4.500 would be a 1996 plate so i went for the scooby bugeye and realy glad i did al i say is go for a new age bugeye mate
Old 24 November 2009, 06:49 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

you will always get a split decision some folks like new age some like classis im a classic fan but thats just me i was in the same mind set as you not so many months ago so i took a 52 plate sti for a test drive and hated it got back in the classis and went home to plan a big power build basicly the only way to make up your mind is find one of each and test drive them and decide from there

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2009, 06:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, I have what basically is a 2001 wrx (UK300 PPP)

Im doing the following to gain more power, so whilst not suggesting you do the same i would think about it yourself as the engine on bugeye and blobeye wrx are the same.

your car needs to breath, so help this first but think loud as you may move onto heavier bhp in the future so you dont want to be doing anything twice if you can help it.
  1. Full Decat Exhaust, inc Turbo up and down - £250 apx
  2. STI or upgrade intercooler £200 max
  3. Re-map £250 - £650
This will offer around 280 - 290bhp / 300lb?!?!

or this as im trying:
  3. Larger Injectors
  4. TD05 (16G or 18G) - £200 - £300
  5. Re-map £250 - £650
This will offer around 320 - 330bhp / 330lb?!?!

Im getting the £250 map by Mr Carr, so my cost is around £1000 for parts & map, plus labour for the fitting Exhaust, Turbo, Injectors - Another £120max. Intercooler is a piece of cake.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Rob Day; 24 November 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 24 November 2009, 07:59 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

right...............Decision made.Bugeye or blobeye wrx depending on cost.
I suppose its just down to which mods etc.Is there an order of fitting for upgrades or do i just order the lot and fit it all at the same time? obviously i cant do the remap and i have never done injectors but i reckon i could do the rest.
Then i need to decide on manufacturers for aftermarket parts i.e) what exhaust,induction,turbo etc.......

Decisions decisions..........
Old 24 November 2009, 09:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you won't be able to modify a classic sti further than any other classic wrx/uk turbo or new age wrx, only the new age sti's can be modded beyond the 350bhp mark safely due to the uprated internals (rods and pistons) as the rods in the classics are the same in all the ej20 turbo engined cars (they normally let go making a nice hole in the block, back in 2000ish the most you could get out of these engines without going totally forged was about 330bhp and its not really changed from that).
Having owned 1 uk my00 car, 1 jdm my03 sti and 1 my99 jdm sti, the best was the newage car, though I loved all 3 the newage felt much better on the road.
If you can go for it then the 2003 car would be my choice

Tony
Old 24 November 2009, 10:07 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

this one is nice #

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX 2002 £4750
Old 24 November 2009, 10:08 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

right...............Decision made.Bugeye or blobeye wrx depending on cost.
I suppose its just down to which mods etc.Is there an order of fitting for upgrades or do i just order the lot and fit it all at the same time? obviously i cant do the remap and i have never done injectors but i reckon i could do the rest.
Then i need to decide on manufacturers for aftermarket parts i.e) what exhaust,induction,turbo etc.......

Decisions decisions..........
This is where everyone else puts in there views. Mine is stated below:
  3. Larger Injectors
  4. TD05 (16G or 18G) - £200 - £300
  5. Re-map £250 - £650
This is my line of thinking but im not the expert here. If you are planning on getting all this then do your home work to find your parts, and here is a good place to start, put up a wanted ad for your parts and search the parts forsale.
  1. The Exhaust has been suggested that a 3" all the way through is the best bet but with a 2" turbo up pipe, which helps spool the turbo. Contrary to some folks views the System forsale on eBay is a good one and offer very simular performance of those brand names that are 2 or 3 times the cost. He's one <Click here>.. By fitting the full system without mapping i would remove the pill restrictor from your t-pipe prior to mapping as your car will over boost. this is very easy to do and the safest way until your car is mapped.
  2. Intercooler, again for a WRX i would source a STI intercooler from Scoobynet or eBay. These seem to go for a wide range of money £100 - £250. Im guessing here but changing this at the same time as the exhaust should be fine so long as you take it easy, but dont quote me.
  3. As for the turbo this really needs changing prior to the map, and the injectors certainly need changing just before the map as the ecu will not understand the fueling and will over fuel the cylinders which i imgaine will make the car splutter and bang which could be fatal to the engine components.
  4. Mapping - Tell us where you are based so that mappers can be discussed for you. Im in the North and Andrew Carr has a good reputation and is very helpful, infact if you drop him a line he could probably help you out in your options.
Rob

Old 24 November 2009, 10:17 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

wait around and spend the 4500 + 1000 modding money on a bugeye sti
Old 24 November 2009, 10:34 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

classic all the way, for the money you could either get a nice wrx bug or blob , or you could get a nice and well sorted classic sti,

nice or nice and well sorted, thats the decision
check out the 555 sti in the for sale section, to drive, it will be far better than most bug/blob