Sponsored by:

hid kits

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2009, 08:00 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid kits

are thease any good and any advice where to get set from for a classic? and by the way fitted some 18s look the **** whoooooooooooooo
Old 23 November 2009, 08:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aztec Performance..........posts on here as BOB'5

ScoobyNet Group Buy Specials - HIDs (Xenon) Lighting Kits + RAYS Lightweight Wheel Nuts + Brakes

Shaun
Old 23 November 2009, 08:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But do a search first in electrical, have a look at a few threads, read posts from those who SELL them, and those who KNOW
Old 23 November 2009, 09:12 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

what would your advice be then chaps cuz the standered bulbs are **** poor
Old 23 November 2009, 11:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Give us a ring 01462 488244

None of our customers has ever gone back to halogens after trying our SuperHIDs
Old 24 November 2009, 03:52 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive everywhere on dipped beam these are for you. If you drive out in the country and need long range lighting, forget it as the scatter on the after market H4s is terrible.
I have a set here, 55watt, cost £129.99 Were on the car for 48 hours. Now reboxed and yours for £90.
Do a search in lighting as suggested above.
Also see this months REDLIE Magazine. Not my normal reading but they did an HID test and raved about them. Problem was, as you will see from the article, they only tested them in dipped. I wonder why. I do agree they are great on dipped but they are not for me as I drive mostly out of town.
Old 24 November 2009, 03:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah and they aint legal. show use only?

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2009, 04:03 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

We have them instock for your car £92 inc!

Beat that!

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...2-inc-vat.html

I have some on my car with 8000k bulbs they are great I can now see at night!

<Harvey> I don't know what kit you had but ours are great on full beam, I could see for miles. you can try one out next time you are here.

Cheers

Ads
Old 24 November 2009, 04:09 PM
cyrusgod
Scooby Regular

Got BOBs H4 Kit on my classic - fantastic.. 99% of the time I am running dipped but main beam seemed OK as well.. For around £100 HIDs are great - but some of the guys with the DIY skills have done some amazing retrofits for the Classic that are meant to be great but bigger money and skill required!
Just my opinion of course but work well for me :-)
Old 24 November 2009, 04:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Our SuperHIDs are a tried and tested over the years. Very popular with SN members and none have gone back to halogen

Buy a known product and save some cash too: https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-group-buy.htm
Old 24 November 2009, 04:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx

I have some on my car with 8000k bulbs they are great I can now see at night!
Surely you'd be able to see even better if you were using 4300K envelopes?
Old 24 November 2009, 06:44 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Beat that!

Just did

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-group-buy.htm

SuperHIDs too
Old 24 November 2009, 07:18 PM
chris270181
Scooby Regular

found this old thread on the legality of hids may be of some interest
Xenon/hid Lights - The Law - The Mini Forum
Old 24 November 2009, 07:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yep, soooo illegal that our customers have had a grand total of 0 problems over the years we have been supplying HID kits. A bit SIAL now though
Old 24 November 2009, 08:43 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Surely you'd be able to see even better if you were using 4300K envelopes?
The only reference I had was the OE bulbs so they look great to me, when they fail I shall try the 4300K and 6000K and see what I prefer.
Old 24 November 2009, 09:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Yep, soooo illegal that our customers have had a grand total of 0 problems over the years we have been supplying HID kits. A bit SIAL now though
Doesn't alter the fact that they ARE illegal, and that SOMEONE is gonna get done.........maybe bigtime if they are deemed to have caused an accident.

I hope you have good third party cover BOB
Old 24 November 2009, 10:45 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by BOB'5
hyperthetical question.

if the police came to you after an accident and stated that the driver of the car involved tells them he bought them from you and you sold them stating the above, what would your reply be?
Old 24 November 2009, 10:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

No worse than a Range Rover with standard fit lights IMO
Old 24 November 2009, 11:18 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

it would depend on the quality of the lights and how well they were fitted imho moley, I cant imagine anyone buying these will fit them as well as the robots that fit them to the Range Rover, can you?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless who or what fits them i find cars with HID/Xenon lights fitted as standard (BMW/Audi etc) often blind me when coming the other way or driving behind me, and Range Rovers seem to be the worst.
Old 25 November 2009, 01:21 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The only reference I had was the OE bulbs so they look great to me, when they fail I shall try the 4300K and 6000K and see what I prefer.
4300K will always be better for outright visibility as the higher colour temperatures are created by deliberately filtering out some of the lower frequency light, lowering the overall light output but making what is there appear nearer the blue end of the spectrum. The higher temps are a marketing/cosmetic gimmick, nothing more or less.

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Regardless who or what fits them i find cars with HID/Xenon lights fitted as standard (BMW/Audi etc) often blind me when coming the other way or driving behind me, and Range Rovers seem to be the worst.
At least cars fitted with HID as standard will have the correct beam pattern, self-levelling and washing that goes with them - not usually the case on aftermarket fits. The reason why Range Rovers are probably worse (and I know where you're coming from) is probably, like with other SUVs, due to the lights being mounted that much further away from the ground.

Last edited by Splitpin; 25 November 2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I would agree, I think it has to do with how high off the road the lights are.

Beamsetters just look for level and cutoff, they don't seem to take into account the original height of the light unit.
Obviously, the higher it is, the further it will shine, so there is more chance of it blinding you.

Big 4x4s, and larger vans are the worst culprits.

Lorries, however, unless Johnny Foreigner, are usually no problem. Perhaps HGV MoT stations have a different beam setter?
Old 25 November 2009, 11:11 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Range Rover lights - yes I can agree totally with the above coments

I actually have Bob's kit on my MY05 STI - dipped and main beam
Passed MOT too without problem
Was upuntil recent getting flashed randomly by other cars, but I adjusted the headlight level in the car and turned them down 1 notch.
Not been flashed since

Downsides - you can't flash your lights at others anymore though - unless they're already warmed up of course

Plus the balasts are really very small.

Main beam scatter - I'm not so sure.
Mine seem OK and really light up the road ahead on full beam
Old 25 November 2009, 11:27 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I will consider them for my car. The dipped headlamp performance is f*cking terrible, and even after re-wiring (direct + and new earths) theyll still be poor. Id consider a dipped only HID kit for the headlamps, as moving kits are compromised. Because the bumper mounted driving lamps are hardwired to the main beam lamps in this car (they were switchable in earlier models), then Id rely on those for main beam, in addition to the dipped lamps; which would need adapting to remain on. Whether Id want to upgrade those to HIDs Im not sure...
Old 25 November 2009, 03:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yep, the problem with Chelsea tractors is the beam starts off higher than on a normal car. Always a pain in the rear view mirror, but I guess that is what the loud pedal is there for
Old 25 November 2009, 08:39 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

After reading the post on the mini site it says that the dip beam should be on when the full beam is on Bob's, Specialx do your kids do this. Is the reason behind this because there is a very short delay for the light to come on correctly, as in if I was driving down a countryroad for say 10 mins then met a car coming and had to dip I would have very little light for a short period of time.

I only ask as most of my driving is on country roads and wouldnt want to spend ££s on these to find they are unsuitable. Also I have seen a couple of comments on the full beam abilities of these kits,are they still better than the standard full beam?
Old 27 November 2009, 09:42 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
hyperthetical question.

if the police came to you after an accident and stated that the driver of the car involved tells them he bought them from you and you sold them stating the above, what would your reply be?
Without wanted to defend BOB5, it does mention on his website that they are intended for 'off road use'

& what kind of scenario would your hyperthetical question be based around? ...because how many people when dazzled a: keep their foot planted on the accelerator? or b: think it's a wise move to move to the right & have a head on instead?

I'd suggest if people do indeed drive like the above, with that lack of competance then they'd either never pass their test, or have crashed 2 minutes after ripping up their L plates

The only other option is to swerve to the left & into a ditch/ hedge row/ tree ...then have the wherewithall to look in the rear view mirror, note the reg. reverse it & make a note of it?

I get dazzled far more by car cars with misaligned halogen headlights or dozy s0ds leaving main beam on ...so I wonder how many of these are causing accidents & are being caught/ prosecuted? ...ill hazard a guess at not many
Old 27 November 2009, 09:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How about this scenario then?

You are driving down an unlit road. An oncoming car is blinded by your lights, moves away from them, hits a cyclist/pedestrian etc and kills or injures them. You continue, but matey BEHIND you, slowing for the accident, notes YOUR number, having also been dazzled by your lights...........

Just as believable? I'd say so.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:49 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How about this scenario then?

You are driving down an unlit road. An oncoming car is blinded by your lights, moves away from them, hits a cyclist/pedestrian etc and kills or injures them. You continue, but matey BEHIND you, slowing for the accident, notes YOUR number, having also been dazzled by your lights...........

Just as believable? I'd say so.
Not entirely sure how someone behind you can be dazzled by your headlights? ...or someone infront can be so dazzled but can also read your number plate that sits inbetween your headlights?

But again if this scenerio does indeed happen & it's much likely to have happened already with halogens on main beam ...then surely it'd be on google somewhere?

more likely to win the lottery 2 weeks on the bounce imo
Old 27 November 2009, 01:59 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by burbling1
After reading the post on the mini site it says that the dip beam should be on when the full beam is on Bob's, Specialx do your kids do this. Is the reason behind this because there is a very short delay for the light to come on correctly, as in if I was driving down a countryroad for say 10 mins then met a car coming and had to dip I would have very little light for a short period of time.

I only ask as most of my driving is on country roads and wouldnt want to spend ££s on these to find they are unsuitable. Also I have seen a couple of comments on the full beam abilities of these kits,are they still better than the standard full beam?
The SuperHIDs on the Bi-Beam, are always on when going between dipped and main beam - it is just the bulb bulb/shield that moves the beam, so no probs there.

If your car is single beam fitment (ie H1, H7..) and you have HID fitted to your dipped beam, when you swtich/flash main beam it works the same as it does from the factory.

If you have a classic, keep an eye out for our HID Projectors, which on initial tests have shown very good beams for both dipped and main

Quick Reply: hid kits