Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2002, 09:40 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only evo in uk form i can get is a 7-300 priced at approx 31500,
or a new shape prodrive sti at 27500
is the 4000 difference better spent on upgrading the scoob
insurance wont let me have a none uk car but i can do what i want mods to any uk spec.dont ask you know insurance firms
help paul
Old 16 March 2002, 09:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Paul,there is the option of the 280bhp 7 at £29995
Old 16 March 2002, 10:01 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Spend 30k on the Ralliart 280bhp Evo 7, then spend £80 on a decat pipe and £30 on a dawes device, and hey presto a 330bhp Evo is created

Or spend £27.5k on the UKSTIPS and hope for a PPP or sod the warranty and spend £2.5k on a full exhaust, induction kit and a Link and expect a little over 300bhp safely.
Old 16 March 2002, 10:32 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Evo!!!!!!!!!!

Thought i best get it in before all the Scooby boys see this thread

Rich
Old 16 March 2002, 11:07 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Why pay over the odds ? theres a nice 7 gsr for 25K .. unregistered in top marques ...

watch the Ralliart warranty as well - Ralliart UK have 90 days to change their name and will no longer have the right to supply UK cars or provide a warranty. I would triple check and dealings that you have with them in teh near future.
Old 17 March 2002, 04:34 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

The ONLY advantages with the Subaru is
1 Better dealership warranty
2 Bigger fuel tank
3 Cheaper to buy in first

The advantages with the Evo are
etc
etc
etc
Old 17 March 2002, 07:07 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

seems the evo is the only way to go.
the evo 7-300 is the only uk evo 7 that the dealers have i was told that there are 30 evo 7 gsr in the country at the moment and all are down for this 300 bhp conversion
change of induction
change of mid and rear section of the exhaust
and lots of carbon type stuff inside the car and the all important change of gear ***
i dont want all the internal changes just a standard evo 7 and an extra 1500 to spend on real mods
but the dealer hasnt the standard car just one of these 7-300
maybe a few more phonecalls to other dealers might find me one

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2002, 12:11 AM
SimonEvoExtreme
Scooby Regular

Paul

The FQ300, to give it the full name, is not based on the GSR but on the RSII. I would certainly go for the Evo, but be prepared for the fact that this is a far more focussed car than the Scooby. It will be noisier and the ride will be firmer. But it will be quicker and handle a lot better.

A word of warning though. If you want to keep your warranty, don't do any mods. Mitsubishi UK are very strict on that.
Old 18 March 2002, 06:24 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

The 300 is only converted in this country from the standard car,if a dealer can get a 300 he can get a standard car.
I am 99% sure all sold though.
59 came into the country, next lot in sept/oct.

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 06:28 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Rich,
Ralliart uk have only been supplying grey imports not offical uk cars for about the last 12 mths now.
Warranty is their own and will carry on after the name change.

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 06:35 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

I really should read all the posts before I reply.

Simon,

Ref uk warranty- it all depends on being friends with your local dealer, We have some heavily modded cars coming to us and basically what ccc don't know does'nt hurt them, Obviously if the mods break or they cause something else to break we can't claim but it won't affect your electric window motors if they go or a new carpet if the old one shrinks.

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 11:47 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Paul

Which will you be happier living with day to day.
I've driven scoobs and evo's. I think the Evo VI is a better looking car than my Terzo/Prodrive effort.
But the Evo VII does absolutely nothing for me, where a Prodrive STi does [though it does stand a little high].
As far as modding etc goes I think the Evo would be better value for money.
Drive both, you'll probably find the Evo to be the better drivers car, though the scoob does sound a lot better.
Of the cars I've driven, most joy found with the P1.

All my own very humble opinions.
Old 18 March 2002, 11:57 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Whats the score with Ralliart?
Why do they have to change their name?
I thought they sold UK supplied cars - not japanese...

cheers

jas

As for which car - both lovely
Old 18 March 2002, 12:12 PM
SimonEvoExtreme
Scooby Regular

Tony

I am sure you will agree that with many dealers, what i have said is true. Although IMO many of the main dealers aren't worth going to, it has becaome clear that you guys are an exeption! Having read other threads on this site, Scooby owners have the same issue - some dealers are reasonable and some aren't!

Old 18 March 2002, 07:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul,
Id stick with the STI, try popping up to robinsons of rochdale, you may get a pleasant surprise at their cars and you never know, maybe a cheaper car to boot

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 07:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oh, also, if you read the thread about Sam esslar's 7 in lancer register i think it may put you off buying one completely (and hes not the only sufferer )
(i think the words the biggest waste of money come into it somewhere)

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 07:46 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I think your being alittle harsh there Tony.

Sam has had alot of hastle with his 7 admittedly, but your telling me no-ones had trouble with their Subarus??

Rich.(ex-MY98 owner with new short engine at 35k)

Old 18 March 2002, 09:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes sam has had alot of hassle but i dont think that getting fobbed off for a fault that seems pretty common and pretty serious for a car thats very rare on the uk's roads
As Sam says, hes not the only person suffering from this and the mitsubishi dealers aint really helping
Im not saying that the evo is a bad car, just that id rather have one thats not going to have a gearbox fault so i cant enjoy what i put my money into and also the electrics problems hes suffering
What i feel hes really hacked off with is the service hes getting, ie none, now atleast subaru give you something even if it takes time, and its not just all about power, its also about the cars ability, and to be honest with you, the impreza is more value for money and less to run, also has a dealer network unlike mitsubishi which if there isnt a ralliart dealer around your screwed
Everyone shouts that the evo's quicker but its one very harsh car to live with on a daily basis IMHO and the question is what should the guy spend his money on, and the way its going id still spend it on the STI as IMHO it is the better car even if its not as powerful, it is more rewarding to drive and you dont have to stop every 100 miles for fuel (and super unleaded at that!)

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 11:09 PM
Doc1
Scooby Regular

Just for info, there aren't 59 in the country, there are 5 (as of friday last week). These cars are standard evo 7 RSII's which at present are being scrutinized by the DVLC for level 3 before the rest are brought in. These cars are the press cars.
There will be a total of 100 CCC evo 7's which almost all have been allocated (mine included) and no decision has been made to what proportion will be 300's to standard, it all depends on what you want. All the conversions are done once the evo's are in the country. And how do i know this? Lets just say that i'm very well connected with Mitso!!

Cheers
Old 18 March 2002, 11:11 PM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

sadly i also would say the evo7!
Matthew
Old 19 March 2002, 06:00 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Doc,

Delivery of all the 59 cars to dealers and pressfleet is at the beginning of april, I to am connected,
Dont forget all the 7's in the country at the moment are grey's and most dealers have not even seen a seven yet.
The dealers have no technicnal books yet due out soon though.

The std seven is not harsh to drive at all I would put it with a M3 in terms of ride quality compared to a 6
Old 19 March 2002, 09:40 AM
Doc1
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

Well i dont want to sound pedantic, but at present there are only 5 official evo 7's in the country, and if they dont pass the SVA tests, there will be no deliveries!! (We both know this isn't going to happen!) As i said there will be 100 cars. If we're lucky, the standard cars will get to the dealer by the middle of April, with one or two people getting theirs earlier, but the 300's have to be converted in Bristol, so may take a little longer.

Cheers

Rob.
Old 19 March 2002, 09:51 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

So we are talking serious volume manufacturer then. My concern would be if I have an Evo 7 is the knowledge base in the country.
Old 19 March 2002, 02:07 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi there
since my name has been mentioned i thought i should reply to this thread

i have had some problems with my evo 7 electrics, the dealers which are crap by the way have tried to blame it on my gauges and lambda link. as they thought the lambda link was a fuel computer ala apexi/ HKS stuff. they obviously told ralliart about it and then ralliart said do not do under warranty. for more details check the mlr website.

however i have spoken to ralliart GM and they are going to refund me the full bill that i have paid !! and said that he warranty should still be alright as long as i tell them about mods before i do them. fair enough i said.

now about the 7.

it has got a very notchy gear box which is now getting better after my first track day . the clutch is a bit sticky at times. and i have managed to warp the discs after few laps 4000miles!!

there is a little annoying rattle from the glove box as well. apart from that every thing else is running well.

took the car on track for the first time on sunday. what can i say, i am gog smacked, amazed by the way this car handled!!!!the car is so controlable it is actaully unbelievable. i could take which ever line i want with ease. i could drift it for as long or as little as i wanted without loosing any composure. i am really lost for words. at no point did i feel the electronics are taking over as in the 6 or any thing of that sort.

on the straights i was not any quicker or slower than p1s or evo 6 but as soon as we hit any bends i am all over them that they had to let me pass. and once i was passed they just disappeared pretty rapidly. to stay with my the scoob had to be right on the edge of its performance while i was just taking it easy with the notchy gear box and warped brakes .. the p1 i was playing with is the same p1 i have been playing with for years, and usually my modded scoob had a little bit of an edge at the straight. so my evo 7 is still as fast as my scoob used to be yet .

what amazed me the most is how early i was on the power. it was brake,turn and full throttle at every corner, none of this balace it on the throttle bussiness i was either on the brakes or on full throttle well before the apex of any corner. you can just power yourself out of any conrner with ease truely awesome, made me look very good

so the end result, i am definitely keeping the car regardless.

and my advice please, please DON'T GET ONE, IT IS REALLY ****. i am serious the less of these cars around the better
Old 19 March 2002, 02:08 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi there
since my name has been mentioned i thought i should reply to this thread

i have had some problems with my evo 7 electrics, the dealers which are crap by the way have tried to blame it on my gauges and lambda link. as they thought the lambda link was a fuel computer ala apexi/ HKS stuff. they obviously told ralliart about it and then ralliart said do not do under warranty. for more details check the mlr website.

however i have spoken to ralliart GM and they are going to refund me the full bill that i have paid !! and said that he warranty should still be alright as long as i tell them about mods before i do them. fair enough i said.

now about the 7.

it has got a very notchy gear box which is now getting better after my first track day . the clutch is a bit sticky at times. and i have managed to warp the discs after few laps 4000miles!!

there is a little annoying rattle from the glove box as well. apart from that every thing else is running well.

took the car on track for the first time on sunday. what can i say, i am gog smacked, amazed by the way this car handled!!!!the car is so controlable it is actaully unbelievable. i could take which ever line i want with ease. i could drift it for as long or as little as i wanted without loosing any composure. i am really lost for words. at no point did i feel the electronics are taking over as in the 6 or any thing of that sort.

on the straights i was not any quicker or slower than p1s or evo 6 but as soon as we hit any bends i am all over them that they had to let me pass. and once i was passed they just disappeared pretty rapidly. to stay with my the scoob had to be right on the edge of its performance while i was just taking it easy with the notchy gear box and warped brakes .. the p1 i was playing with is the same p1 i have been playing with for years, and usually my modded scoob had a little bit of an edge at the straight. so my evo 7 is still as fast as my scoob used to be yet .

what amazed me the most is how early i was on the power. it was brake,turn and full throttle at every corner, none of this balace it on the throttle bussiness i was either on the brakes or on full throttle well before the apex of any corner. you can just power yourself out of any conrner with ease truely awesome, made me look very good

so the end result, i am definitely keeping the car regardless.

and my advice please, please DON'T GET ONE, IT IS REALLY ****. i am serious the less of these cars around the better
Old 19 March 2002, 02:22 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your troubles but glad to hear its not all bad news Sam. Is the smile it puts on your face worth it?

Tony, do you work for Subaru or something?

:-)
Old 19 March 2002, 02:25 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

juan
i am still smiling from sunday. it is premanenty stuck on now. need to see a good surgeon
Old 19 March 2002, 02:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Juan,
unfortunately not but the fact is that i want a reliable car (ie one without serious problems and one with a dealer network that knows about the car im taking to them!).
As ive pointed out, the evo is a great car but when you see 6 month old evo7 gsr's for sale at 23k! it shows you how much grey imports loose their value
As has been stated about gearbox oils and thus notchy gears, the reason some people have found out is that the wrong lubricants have been added at factory, now for a manufacturer of a car like the Evo id be pretty unhappy if i spent 30k on one and had all the problems that Sam has had and the great help from the Ralliart dealer too
My original choice of a first ever owned turbo car was infact going to be an Evo4, now, the fact is i could have the evo4 for 18k (and 3 yrs old) or a brand new subaru... the subaru won and ive not looked back
IMHO up to the STi3, Subaru held its own over the evo, after that its been one hard struggle for them, uptil now that is, where i do believe that they have got the crown back from mitsubishi
For a daily car though, there isnt anyway that you can beat the new STI IMHO, for a track day car the evo gets it as i feel thats where its more suited, modifications wise, the evo again would win but for ease of use, practicality and daily fun, back to the STI7.
Both are great cars, both have different rolls but how many people will ever take their car onto a track?? there will be a few but most wont, thats why the STI7 is a better all round car as it suits the needs and you can still have great fun with it

Tony
Old 20 March 2002, 07:33 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

not nice to hear of cars with problems,my scoob has seen various dealers in its time and not one of them gives me any confidence.
it allways seems to have to go back in for them to have another go at the problem they have just solved.
as for reliability if all scoobs were as bad as mine subaru would not exist
1 half engine
1 complete engine
rusting brakes
warped brakes
cracked brakes
1 new gearbox
3 gearbox rebuilds
windows constantly leaking
boot leaking
bye bye ecu
new turbo
new intercooler
and lots of overboost
suspension clunk (3 attempts and still no joy)
never a loan car so its the works van again
the amount of times ive phoned IM is unbelevable its down to first name terms with the tecnical director
where does it end?
thats why i am geting rid of the scoob but now seeing mitsubishi are as bad what do you do
i want a car as quick 4wd and good for mods with good dealers,

if only .
these problems all occured before any mods were done on the car
but even after several mods the waranty is still good (not all bad)
Old 20 March 2002, 08:59 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

It doesn't really matter which one you go for, every manufacturer has a duff one in every batch it seems. Even Rolls Royce and Aston Martin do! As for your luck, Jesus you haven't had much have you? Just how many miles have you done in this car?
If you're planning on having a lot of problems, I'd stick with Subaru as from what I've heard they are more prone to fix it under warranty than Mitsi are. I know they don't entertain clutches under warranty very easily, when Subaru will!

I guess it depends whether you abuse your cars or just genuinely have got a duff one yourself. Not all cars are like this I can assure you.

Steve

Quick Reply: evo 7 300 or prodrive sti