Sponsored by:

Scooby ownership

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2009, 03:33 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Scooby ownership

Hello everyone, thought we would start a thread about our ownership experience.

Car - 2003 STI Type UK PPP with Ecutek remap with coilovers and various handling upgrades. Oh yeah and a sweet sounding rumbling Miltek exhaust. :-)

OK, had the car two weeks now so we thought it was about time we took it for a good run out. Some of you may know the oopnurthring 'Oopnurthring'

Thought this route would be as good as any to test the scooby. Having owned an STI PPP before back in 2004 I was keen to see what this remap stuff was all about, all I can say is FOOOOOOOOOKKKKKIIIIINNNNNGGGGG HHHEEEEELLLLLLLL

My fav part and I'm sure it was my wifes too, the road you turn left on just after ladybower towards Low Bradfield.

The car just pulled like a train in every gear!!!! Lots of twisties and ups and downs, we nearly took off on more than a few occasions.

When we bought the car it had a few stickers on from the previous owner, one was the "oopnurthring". We have decided to do each of the routes to earn the rights to keep the stickers on. :-)

Next is the "Evo Triangle" then eventually the "nurburgring"

Will keep everyone updated with what the routes are like.

:-)

PS we havn't even thought about what modifications we could make to the car as the previous owner has it running spot on!!!
Old 27 October 2009, 05:04 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owened 4 - Great to drive, though when it comes to sell a complete pain and lost tons of Money...

I think my last one was a 03 STI i bought sold it as it was a year later lost £5k..

So no more scoobies for me...
Old 27 October 2009, 05:25 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by SamUK
I have owened 4 - Great to drive, though when it comes to sell a complete pain and lost tons of Money...

I think my last one was a 03 STI i bought sold it as it was a year later lost £5k..

So no more scoobies for me...
This is our third one now, I sold the last one to get married and start a family. Imagine my excitement when the wife said she wanted another, what a wife!!!!! This one is by far the best and we intent to keep it and get into the events scene. Starting with the Blackpool run on Saturday all being well. :-)

You could try keeping your next scooby then you won't be dissapointed at losing money, ;-)
Old 27 October 2009, 05:33 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Bought my first one at 21 Years old a T Reg UK2000 Turbo, did over 80K in that car over about 8 or 9 years and enjoyed every minute, only mod was a Prodrive Back Box/Decat (and a new Gearbox as it broke at 70k ish !) apart from that nothing spent nothing added, it was a very quick car :-)

Over 2 years ago I bought a Standard 05 WRX to replace the Classic, added the following

PPP Pack (ECU/Exhaust/Pipes)
PPF7 18" Alloys
Tein Suspension / Setup
Brembo brakes all round DS2500's
UK300 Spoiler
HID's

Love the car but want more power :-) wish i had got an Sti but i needed a car asap and mine was a good one at the right price. Love subarus and my next will be a Spec C or similar but I just need to find one.

As for loosing money, I lost 2k Per year on my last and this one.. depriciation seems about average, running costs also seem average to me.

Last edited by LWells; 27 October 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 27 October 2009, 06:09 PM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

Bought an 05 sti with very low mileage in mint cond about 6 weeks ago.

Just had a great drive in it from Donegal up to Letterkenny, then all around Achill Island yesterday.
What a car.

Not sure what mods to do first really. Its totally standard, bar i fitted a de-cat down pipe and had it re-mapped.
But as soon as the pipe was fitted its started making a screeching sound when coming on boost (3.3-4k rpm) like the v first time i drove it after fitting an mapping.

Gona put standard pipe an new gaskets this weekend an see if goes away. Otherwise i fear its my turbo about to let go!!
Old 02 November 2009, 11:22 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

Attended the Blackpool Illuminations Run on Sunday gone. I've been before in my old STI so I let the wife drive and set off from the industrial estate. She loved it. The car was superb getting greay milage over from Huddersfield, got about 155 miles on 1/2 tank. Wasn't taking it steady either, :-) apart from the slow bit through the lights, :-)

The cars on show made me think about modifications!!! Only to the next safe level really as I still want the car to be reliable. Looking into porting the headers, decatting the Miltec system and an FMIC (always fancied one)

Going to get the bumper resprayed so toying with replacing with a WRC from ABW instead. The wife would love a WRC spoiler but the jury is out as I think that look should be reserved for a full rally look. (Which i did with the old car and wont do it again)

Think thats it for now.

PS we were rather embarrased at not having the appropriate Subaru clothing at Blackpool, everyone seemed to whip out there jackets just as we got there. Good place to get the heavyweight ones from????????
Old 07 November 2009, 07:51 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

UPDATE - Canned any tinkering with the external of the car. Instead we have the car booked in for a few tweaks with Harvey followed closely by a remap with Bob Rawle, :-) Will report back when complete, :-)
Old 26 November 2009, 03:59 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

I know everyone loves em or hates em but removed and added a few stickers

Removed Nurburgring sticker (You can only have one if you have been, :-)
Before
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...r/IMG_7077.jpg
After
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...r/IMG_0907.jpg

Changed the Grill Badge. Had a pink one on my old STI and liked the look of it. Also added a pig on each wing mirror, :-)
Before
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...r/IMG_7248.jpg
After
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...r/IMG_0893.jpg
Old 26 November 2009, 07:35 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If funds allow get a S206 with all the supporting mods on there!!! You will love it, supercar slaying performance
Old 26 November 2009, 10:17 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Did you buy your STi from CW42 of SMACS?
Old 27 November 2009, 08:20 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Harryr34
If funds allow get a S206 with all the supporting mods on there!!! You will love it, supercar slaying performance
Hey harryr34, I'm sure they are an awesome car. Spent long enough seeking out this one. The purchse was about finding the same model as we had years ago as both the wife and I loved it. For now we'll be sticking with this but will keep an S206 in mind for future, cheers.
Old 27 November 2009, 08:23 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby
Did you buy your STi from CW42 of SMACS?
Hi scoobysmiley, I did indeed. Awesome car!! :-)
Old 17 December 2009, 11:03 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

Few weeks ago I was up in Darlington getting the Harvey Smith Ported Headers, wrapped up and downpipe and a Roger Clarke Induction Kit fitted. Very professional job. I took it steady on the way back down keeping in mind the Induction kit and mods really needed a remap before I could feel the full benefit. Although I could noticeably feel it pulling earlier.

Weekend just gone I managed to get myself on the Bob Rawle mapping weekend. Good job I had first slot as it went a little technical and it was back to Harvey's for a new fuel pump as it had been on the car 5\6 years and was at the end of its life. I was very happy with this as I thought they would send me away but they are very committed once they start.

The drive home was pretty boring on the A1\M1 but dropped off and WOW. I'm yet to visit scoobyclinic for a power run but it's really made a difference to the car. Pulls earlier, harder for longer.

Future plans, that’s it for modifications for us. My turbo (VF35) is on the limit and I just can't justify going the next level for the cost although I still think FMIC's look sweet. I think I'll be due a clutch next, as far as I can tell it's on the original @74k

Big thanks to Harvey Smith and Bob Rawle.
Old 18 December 2009, 02:03 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that Paul. Glad you are enjoying the new found power. Keep in touch.
Old 18 December 2009, 02:07 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie
Bought an 05 sti with very low mileage in mint cond about 6 weeks ago.

Just had a great drive in it from Donegal up to Letterkenny, then all around Achill Island yesterday.
What a car.

Not sure what mods to do first really. Its totally standard, bar i fitted a de-cat down pipe and had it re-mapped.
But as soon as the pipe was fitted its started making a screeching sound when coming on boost (3.3-4k rpm) like the v first time i drove it after fitting an mapping.

Gona put standard pipe an new gaskets this weekend an see if goes away. Otherwise i fear its my turbo about to let go!!
That screeching sound is fairly normal on these STi's after a remap I believe, mine is the same.
Old 18 December 2009, 08:11 AM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
That screeching sound is fairly normal on these STi's after a remap I believe, mine is the same.
(Update)
Unfortunately most of the sti's that do it the noise is from compressor surge, my mapper said he's pretty certain its not compressor surge as he's heard that plenty of times before.

So i've put back on ori exhaust and ori map but its still there.
Either way, its still drives fine, and produced power the same way it used to, so until i either upgrade to a new turbo and more mods it'll have to stay the way it is.

Last edited by ScoobyNoobie; 18 December 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 18 December 2009, 03:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea mine is pulling hard to, if it blow it blows