Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sorry, you're not covered for that..."

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 02:15 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I have just returned from driving in France with my car (STi V5) driving like poo... I brought it down to the garage to get it fixed and they have told me that the Lambda Sensor and Air Flow Meter are both fcuked due to water getting into them. Having bought the car in October last year, in November the Air Flow broke and had to be replaced. That time my RAC warranty covered it.

This time, I am told that my RAC cover excludes damage due to water and the Oxygen Sensor isn't covered anyway.

The garage are saying that as the Air Flow Meter has been damaged by a "foreign particle", the Air Flow Meter is not covered by any sort of warranty (manufacturer or them), even though the bu99er is only 4 months old!

Is there anything I can do or am going to be left footing the £1000 bill to get the car back on the road!?

Extremely unhappy, Kingsize K2

Oh, and how do I prevent this happening again?? Bar not driving when it is wet - like 364 days of the year!!!!
Old 15 March 2002, 02:19 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

PS Is £190 for the Lambda and approx. £400 for the Air FLow Meter correct?? Excluding fitting of course...
Old 15 March 2002, 02:39 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I paid £60 for a lambda sensor for my 1997 STI, it wasn't a pukka original though, just a copied type, but it worked.

Don't know how long it would last (someone will say 'not as long') but as i was selling the car, it didn't worry me.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:43 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Question

Are you running an induction kit of any kind? cos they can refuse to do it under warranty etc then.

Speak to Grade A they have MAF sensors for £130 + Vat, a new Lambda sensor is about £140 from Subaru failing that you could probably get one from a breakers.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your misfortune - that sucks when you believe you've got a warranty!

I'd echo the question about induction kits - are you running one?

If so, you might want to take two failures as a warning to change it. I run the K&N kit and haven't had any troubles...

Old 15 March 2002, 03:33 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

I had an ARC Induction kit fitted by the garage which they assured me would not cause any problems with the car whatsosver. In fact, it was supposed to be the dinglies and at the cost should be! Do you know anything about them?? The warranty company are not aware of the Induction Kit though...

Sorry, TB, is a MAF sensor the Air Flow Meter??