Sponsored by:

£866 for extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2009, 06:51 PM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £866 for extended warranty

Just had a letter through from Subaru about extending the warranty on my car as it's about to expire next month.

Just wondering if £866 for 2 years warranty and assistance sounds like a good deal? Has anyone looked into this before and shopped around?

I am tempted to just extend with Subaru, as they were fantastic when my engine failed about 7 months ago!
Old 19 October 2009, 06:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, 433 per year, bargain!

Tony
Old 20 October 2009, 01:57 AM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

Thats a bargain, go for it
BMW charge about £1200 per year for their M car extended warranties.
Old 20 October 2009, 10:50 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm, sounds a lot to me but then if the **** should hit the fan then it's worth it - i also know nothing about extending warranties so as the other chaps have said it's probably a good deal

Mine's nearly out of warranty now as well so i should be getting the same letter through.
Old 20 October 2009, 01:09 PM
YXD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aamtheman
Just had a letter through from Subaru about extending the warranty on my car as it's about to expire next month.

Just wondering if £866 for 2 years warranty and assistance sounds like a good deal? Has anyone looked into this before and shopped around?

I am tempted to just extend with Subaru, as they were fantastic when my engine failed about 7 months ago!

Had the same letter as mine is out in a few weeks. Unfortunately given the amount of mods I've had done I doubt they'd cover me. I think you can get extended warranty from 3rd parties (AA springs to mind) that still cover modified engines and I need to get round to pricing those up.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:07 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

My 02 wrx wasn't modified (ok cat back and filter!) and it had one sensor fail in 6 years, and that failed within the first couple of months. it's a chance you take! If you take the warranty you'll have to keep with Subaru for the servicing and won't be able to go independent or do it yourself. In my limited experience Subaru's are very reliable. My 2 year old Focus ST has just gone wrong, it's been in Ford for over 2 weeks, new fuel pump, regulator, ecu, throttle body and they still cant fix it!! Glad it's under warranty!
Old 20 October 2009, 11:14 PM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

All the upgrades on my STI are Subaru approved Pro-drive parts fitted by a Subaru dealer, so I can't seem them refusing to extend my warranty. Your right though, it's a chance you take with these things. I wouldn't normally buy extended warrantys, but since the worst has already happened to my car, it makes you think differently!

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2009, 11:22 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Is it exactly the same as original 3 year warranty? i.e. cover wear and tear items like gearbox etc, as some other companies like rac, aa etc have been known to get out of paying by saying its degredation etc...would have thought subaru cover would, but may be worth checking first?

is this warranty available to guys like me with a 2005 car???
Old 21 October 2009, 07:52 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy2004
Is it exactly the same as original 3 year warranty? i.e. cover wear and tear items like gearbox etc, as some other companies like rac, aa etc have been known to get out of paying by saying its degredation etc...would have thought subaru cover would, but may be worth checking first?

I got a letter from Subaru asking me if I wanted to extend the warranty just before the 3 years was up, not sure if you can take it out after the event.
Old 21 October 2009, 09:17 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

extending the new car warranty just before the 3 years expiry is a good idea, price has just come down too as it was over £1,000 a couple of months ago I believe. It is the most comprehensive warranty you can get and all subaru fitted parts are covered.
Old 21 October 2009, 06:25 PM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy2004

I'm fairly certain you can only extend it within the original 3-year warranty period. If you miss it, then you've missed it. Might be worth giving them a call though to confirm it.