How do you get it off without ruining it

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2009, 09:08 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you get it off without ruining it

Hiya..
I was hoping to recover the door cards in my classic today, well the material infill bit of it anyway. Got the card off no probs and was expecting it to be straight forward but it doesn't appear to be the case, either that or I'm just any clues ? I don't want to prise the infill off of the front to cover it and wreck the door card if thats not how you guys do it, who's recovered them already that could give me a clue ?
From what I can see there are 2 options which are either go straight over whats already there or try and get off the padded bit by pulling it off.. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I'm a bit
Thanks Julie
Old 18 October 2009, 09:33 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

you can just cover over top and just trim and tuck or try peal the old cover off by heating it up with a heat gun but might ruin the foam and would need to re scrim it for soft feel as the door cards will not come apart this is why it is not as simple as some people think and harder when you have the older door cards shaped like a tick

if i was you i would mask door card so you don't get glue everywhere ,make template of area you need to cover with paper then cut fabric to that then place on area that your recovering fold in half and spray glue one side and stick then fold back other side and repeat, then all thats left is to tuck edges in with something and remove any glue that might have gone near your door cards

just remember once you have spray glued or pulled of fabric there is no turning back then

hope this helps
Old 18 October 2009, 10:27 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Your not wrong, I too thought " hey, piece of cake" but was surprised when I removed the door card to find I couldn't just remove the trim
I've just looked at the material I bought and it's quite thick so I'm going to have a go and going over what is already there and tucking in the edges as you suggested.. I heated up the infill and it didn't want to separate from the foam so if this fails and looks a bit cheap then I will have to start again and get new foam too..
Thanks for you help though. I'll def make a template up though and mask off to protect the door card itself..
I'll take a couple of pics along the way, some of the door cards and others of me doing a bit of foot stamping when its not going according to plan.
Thanks Julie
Old 18 October 2009, 02:23 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naughtyhunnybunny
Your not wrong, I too thought " hey, piece of cake" but was surprised when I removed the door card to find I couldn't just remove the trim
I've just looked at the material I bought and it's quite thick so I'm going to have a go and going over what is already there and tucking in the edges as you suggested.. I heated up the infill and it didn't want to separate from the foam so if this fails and looks a bit cheap then I will have to start again and get new foam too..
Thanks for you help though. I'll def make a template up though and mask off to protect the door card itself..
I'll take a couple of pics along the way, some of the door cards and others of me doing a bit of foot stamping when its not going according to plan.
Thanks Julie
If it's cloth/material, then thick is probably good. If it's vinyl or leather, the thinner the better, IMO.

Have a look at this... The bloke "Ron" posts a bit more info further along...

https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...ml#post4562801

Last edited by vindaloo; 18 October 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add linky