Sponsored by:

ppp downpipe or full decat ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2009, 09:12 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ppp downpipe or full decat ?

hi all, my54 sti with ppp. . . looking at a remap very soon.
car was bog standard with ppp fitted when i bought 3 months back.
the exhaust is now straight through from the ppp downpipe and fitted a k+n panel filter....
question is will i benefit from swapping the downpipe for an unrestricted jobby or are we talking just a few brake difference between the two set ups.
after the remap i will be going bigger turbo and looking for about 375/380 bhp....
also what gains should i expect from the initial remap and is it possible to open source the ppp or will i need ecutek ?
finally can any one recommend a good tuner/ mapper in the west midlands or wolverhampton area.
Old 13 October 2009, 09:31 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sivo
hi all, my54 sti with ppp. . . looking at a remap very soon.
car was bog standard with ppp fitted when i bought 3 months back.
the exhaust is now straight through from the ppp downpipe and fitted a k+n panel filter....
question is will i benefit from swapping the downpipe for an unrestricted jobby or are we talking just a few brake difference between the two set ups.
after the remap i will be going bigger turbo and looking for about 375/380 bhp....
also what gains should i expect from the initial remap and is it possible to open source the ppp or will i need ecutek ?
finally can any one recommend a good tuner/ mapper in the west midlands or wolverhampton area.
for your first map with the basic mods you've listed, there's next to no difference between the Prodrive sports cat and a de-cat. other than one's legal and the other isn't

take a look at my profile, i've got pretty much a PPP exhaust system and not too much different to yours, this'll give you an idea what to expect in gains

not really sure if your PPP ecu can be open sourced (think the PPP map is an ECUTEK map and might be locked?? not too sure really) but someone should pop along to clarify, other than that a phone call should clear it up.

mine was open source mapped by Mocom Racing, he'd give an honest answer to your question
Old 15 October 2009, 06:57 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

any one ?....plllllzzzz ?
Old 15 October 2009, 07:19 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From personal experience, output of PPP cars varies massively. Ecutek remap brought my WRX PPP to life together with a full decat. Reckon on around £650 for a remap.
Old 16 October 2009, 01:48 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm running a prodrive cat, great because I dont have to worry about emmissions at mot time. There is a small loss of around 2-4 bhp with the sports cat if you want to get technical! Litchfield run sports cats on their type 25's pushing 420bhp +

I went for a sports cat because;

- I'm not bothered about flames from the exhaust, still get pops n bangs though
- I dont want to have to fork out for the garage to put a cat pipe in before it goes for an mot (although you could do this yourself)
- a loss of 2 - 4 bhp is naff all really

hope that helps