WRX 1.5k and climbing

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2001, 01:33 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike,

I'm glad you are happy with your MY01. I have been tyring to decide whether to grab a MY00 before decent ones go scarce, Or buy a new MY01. I'm really tying to like the front end of the car, and yes .. the ride height does seem a bit high, I also had mixed feelings about it being a bit softer( 3 cats, Sound deading, less turbo kick) and slightly slower than the old one.

However I will be test driving one today and make my own mind up. The reason why I did jump for the MY00 is because logically the MY01 should be better and overcome the problems I have read on this BBS which drivers of the older car have come across:

1) Engine hesitation under accelaration (Knock sensor , so I read)
2) Poor door/window seals allowing wind noise
3) juddery clutch when car is cold.
4) leaky boot letting in water.

People put up with this because the car is blinding to drive.

You might not have had the car long enough to confirm this, but do you know if the list I have above has been cured in the MY01.

As long as the car is as exciting to drive, I think I can be prepared to put up with some strange looking lights. ( At least until the conversion comes out)

You have also owned previous scoobies, Is the MY01 that much slower as to be noticable during normal road use ( Bearing in mind the advances in speed detection that the coppers are using). I would expect to see a slight loss on the track.

gratefull for your insight,

happy boostfull motoring
Old 17 February 2001, 01:38 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just read my post back , I missed out a vital word....NOT.

I have NOT jumped for a MY00, I'm on the verge of buying a MY01. I'm just after a nice warm feeling by getting some advice from someone who has actually got one.

Cheers
Old 17 February 2001, 12:50 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Just got the 1k service done and starting to feel that my purchase has been vindicated. All I can think, is that quite a few folks must have test driven an MY01 with very few miles on / with a very tight engine... as mine has now got a more than reasonable kick above 4k rpm and still some loosening up to do me thinks. Just ordered a Prodrive back box for it though, to try and put a bit of noise back into my motoring (never thought I'd hear myself say that!). The damn thing is just tooo quiet. Not got used to the almost total lack of understeer. Still find myself almost by instinct trying to compensate for something that is just not there. Almost starting to come to terms with the laughable front end. Must admit that now the lights have been adjusted correctly, that they are a fair bit better than on either the MY97/99 that I previously had. Still needs more weight through the steering though and maybe lowering 20mm but not sure if I can be bothered.

Enjoy....
Old 17 February 2001, 06:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vmax
As you are new to this bbs, you might like to know that there is a way to edit your posts, where it says when you posted there is a row of little icons, one of them is a little pencil and a peice of paper, if you click on the you can then edit you posts.
Live and learn.
Ron
Old 17 February 2001, 06:50 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Wink

well, I test drove the MY01 today - and I think it is an ace car. The WRX test car had 1400 miles on it and it felt exactly as written above. I'm going to go for the my01 - that is, if I can get one - they are quoting an 8-10 week delivery time?!? Are they *that* popular?

Maybe the reason i like it so much is that I've had a 5dr Sport my99 and it feels like an upgrade + better handling - no more understeer :-) - so whoever wrote that people coming up from mondeo and vectra land (and other similar powered cars) was probably onto something.

yep it's typical subaru - the ugly duckling that became a swan.

only getting 11k for the trade-in on a good nick v reg 5 dr DBM sport - but who cares eh?

callum
my99 DBM sport 5dr.
Old 17 February 2001, 07:44 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Ron,

Thanks for the info
Old 17 February 2001, 10:00 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

vmax,

Nice to see a +ve post re MY01. I can confirm a few things for you.

- Engine hesitation under accelaration, None that I've noticed yet. The power delivery is quite different from the old model. More linear than in previous models. But there is still a good kick at 4k+. Now some will like this and some wont. Like most things to do with cars like this, it's a personal thing.

- The build quality is a "considerable" notch above the model it replaces. I had the drivers window re-set at just about every service and to be honest, it got to the point that I never opened the thing at above 60 mph, because it would never seal properly. In the MY01, not only is the motor stronger but the whole mechanism has been re-designed (or so I was told... and my mates the service manager at the garage that I bought the car at).

- Clutch judder. Nope... they appear to have done some work there as well. But then again, my MY99 was no where as bad as the MY97.

- Can't comment on the leaky boot. Not rained too much since I got the car (loads of snow and fog up here though, over the last three weeks).

As to driving it. As I've commented a couple of times on the BB. I think the car for average folks (and that's all I consider my driving skills to be)is already quicker cross country, because it's easier to place and understeers considerably less (it's still there though.. but then again, in extremis, something has to give).

Even the radio that people harp on about being crap, is OK, if you upgrade the speakers and get some decent amplification. Just finished putting the dynamat stuff back in the boot, to stop the subwoofer shaking everything in the boot to bits.

A set of driving lights helps as well and at last, I can use high power bulbs and they don't blow every 5 mins.

Other than this. The back box is a definate but does not look like my existing ITG air filter fits. The existing filter looks different to the old model. Will phone Scoobysport on Monday and enquire. Prodrive also do a reasonably priced kit to lower the car (if you want to stick with Subaru bits). Not sure on this one. Will reservce judgement until I've thrown it around a bit more.

Is it perfect? Like most things in life (even me!), the answer is NO.
- Dodgy front end styling. Though it DOES grow on you.
- The sport seats (I.E. NOT the buckets) are not that great but are OK.
- Out right performance down on the old model but I bet most people on a twisty wet road would struggle to tell any real difference. What you loose on the straight, you gain on the bends (IE. the fun bits of driving).

I liked my previous cars.. but as they say. The Impreza is dead, long live the Impreza (or something like that).

Enjoy your test drive....

[This message has been edited by Mike Owen (edited 17 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Owen (edited 17 February 2001).]
Old 17 February 2001, 10:03 PM
Bernmc4
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Anyone considering a MY01 should get hold of the latest copy of EVO magazine. They've tested a bunch of nice cars at MIRA - 0-100-0, TED, slalom, lateral G circle, dry handling track etc. The Subaru was crap at most things, and soundly beaten by a common Clio 172. Save yourself £5000!

I hope the EVO boys do the same thing with a MY00, a P1 and an STI or two...
Old 17 February 2001, 10:22 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Bernmc4

While magazine articles are interesting. The only real test, is to drive one. To a certain extent, it depends on how well set up the one on test is. Sounds daft to say that I know. Because you would think that Subaru would supply a decent one but stranger things happen at sea. Can't comment on some of the cars thay tested but I've driven the Clio and did not rate it at all.

Then again. I try to make it a rule, never to knock cars until I've tried them (assuming it's something I'm interested in). I looked long and hard before deciding to buy another Subaru. Looked at and tried several other makes/marks. The best of the bunch was the S3 but could not justify the high prie. I've worked my way through probably 30+ cars in 20 years and still rate the current WRX as one of the finest cars available today (now a new STI, or an EVO7 would be nice... but not if you do 20k+ miles a year).

Lets be honest. Nice a car as the Clio is (and it is). If someone offered you a WRX and a Clio... Be honest, which would you take?

Enjoy whatever you drive... as there are loads of great cars out there (even some nice Fords...).
Old 18 February 2001, 05:01 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bernmc4:
<B>Anyone considering a MY01 should get hold of the latest copy of EVO magazine. They've tested a bunch of nice cars at MIRA - 0-100-0, TED, slalom, lateral G circle, dry handling track etc. The Subaru was crap at most things, and soundly beaten by a common Clio 172...[/quote]

Hahaha, that shows us we must NOT always believe what we read, even from EVO. Haha. For instance, in Germany they have a few very good carmagazines. Sportauto is one of them, only fast cars, extreme testing by good journalists and prof. rallycar drivers. Deutsche Grundlichkeit. So last month the did a race on a curvy track under icy conditions. Who did the best time? The MY01 WRX. The competition? Hahaha, are you ready for this... BMW 330xi, Audi RS4, VW BoraV6 4motion, Mitsu Carisma GT EVO VI, Porsche 911 Turbo 4WD.

So, the WRX 2001 won this test. Beats an EVO and a 911. In another test it gets beaten by a plastic Clio 172. I rest my case.
Old 18 February 2001, 05:05 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Sportauto also did a comparison between a WRX 2001 and an Audi S3 on the Nurnburgring. The WRX was faster.
Old 18 February 2001, 08:48 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Glad you are enjoying the car. Mine has arrived but I am waiting until the !st March. I was also going for the Prodrive backbox but have failed miserably and am having the whole system! Lights and suspension to follow (and brakes?) I will sonn realise the P1 would have been cheaper!!! Wouldnt want to try and sell one though.

vmax,

I ordered my MY01 last May off the back of Autocar's impression. (The black Lotus Carlton ish one). As you can imagine, my horror on receipt of the official photo's was incredible. Hace spent 6 motnhs thinking MY00, new WRX, P1 etc.Even Skyline at one point. Now it is here I really dont care. With a few mods it will be better than the old car.

With regards to which is faster as standard, I regard myself as a particularly poor driver............ Old model is quicker on a road you know well, new car if you are finding your way. I think it is so forgiving.
Old 19 February 2001, 09:36 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Like mike ive got a new WRX MY01 - ive done 1700 miles now. I have a similar experience to Mike - cant recommend the car enough. In real world driving conditions the cars perfect. I really cant see i notice the difference in performance. How many times does anyone really drive at 100%? for the other 95% of the time its fantastic!!

I too read the Evo article. I'd only comment that wet handling would have improved the cars rating.

Im looking forward to adding a new exhaust - i too miss the noise - you dont realise you are driving along in the wrong gear cause you cant hear the engine!!!

My messager to the guy thinking of buying, and any other people unsure - get a test drive dont believe what you read!

James
Old 19 February 2001, 10:10 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say iot but I went the other way. Had the MY01 on order then drove back to back with MY00. I have to say the driving difference was marked as was performance of WRX or lack of it on similar mileage cars.

WRX may be superior in some ways but in the crucial areas:- performance, handling and excitement it was sadly lacking. I found myself having to drive the WRX alot quicker to get the same level of reward than the old MY00.

Subaru have purposefully made the WRX softer to broaden its appeal with an eye to an assault on the US market.

I desparately wanted to like the WRX but could not go through with it in the end.
Maybe its horses for courses.

I notice that even the mags that gave the WRX a glowing report at the outset are now starting to tame their words:- What car now describes the WRX as softer and even Autocar seem to be toning down slightly. Time will tell but I reckon I know which one will be remembered.

Sorry about mistakes - typed in a rush.

enjoy your cars.
Old 19 February 2001, 10:17 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Question

A question for those who have changed their old "classic" scooby for a MY01
Is the fuel consumption better or worse on the new car?
Old 19 February 2001, 02:29 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Question

test drove one on saturday......

here's the difference....

when I drive my MY99 I grin like a cheshire cat, when I get out of it, I look at it and listen to it tick and I grin like a cheshire cat

when I drove the MY01 I.... um, err, yeah, um, well, you know, I.....when I got out of it, I.... um, err, yeah, um, well, you know, I.....

And there is the difference..

(and there's no bright switch)

Dave
Old 19 February 2001, 05:59 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave P:
<B>when I get out of it, I look at it and listen to it tick and I grin like a cheshire cat
[/quote]

Exactly. I think that the WRX is good, but how can you ever glance back at it and not have the grin wiped off your face?
Old 19 February 2001, 06:58 PM
Bruce C
Scooby Regular

People are talking about changing the looks of the WRX with new lights etc. The bottom line is the shell is dreadful. Watching the WRC car on the Swedish reinforced this for me. Despite all the dangly bits, as the car changed angle to the camera, it just looks all wrong. The old shape was no beauty, but it has an integrity the new one lacks.

Bruce C
Old 21 February 2001, 09:05 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

I would be the first to admit that the MY01 is not the best looking car in the world.

But come on admit it. The original car looked like a souped up Proton. If it wasn't for that very subtle " Turbo AWD" sticker on the back I would not have given it a second look and walked straight to a cossie like everybody else.

The car soon became very popular when it started winning rallies and getting good reviews from Top Gear. Suddenly the price shoots up to post 20k.

I dunno about you but 20K+ for a car is a lot of money. When you paying that sort of money you expect to have better build quality than a fake Tag watch.

But we put up with it because of the way it drives. BUT..... Hello....... Macfly.... We don't have to anymore.

I took a MY01 for a test drive over the weekend and guess what I found. The first thing I noticed is when I got in the car and closed the door to the sound of a nice mellow "thud". No rattle shake and hum.

17" Wheels as standard -- No upgrade required
Air Con as standard
Stiffer shell -- If I spank it more chance of walking away... Always good
Minimised understeer
CD Player standard -- Not bad, upgragde wouldn't go amiss,

Overall the car is not that bad. I have finised vomiting on the bonnet, now I'm looking at the rest of it.

I know the car is slightly slower, But is the driving excitement all about out right speed, It matters if you are taking part in the WRC.

Old 21 February 2001, 10:17 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Vmax,

Top summary mate!

How often do you get the chance to use either Mk1 or Mk2 to there potential? For the other 90% of the time when your in a rush but dont want to loose your licence, the new cars extra refinement is excellent and you dont notice the loss in performance (which is all relative any way -depends on how much you put your foot down and what speeds you corner at). The looks do grow on you (like exzma as someone pointed out before!!).

Pete Croney's found some excellent results by adding a full exhaust system, so as many of us would add an exhaust anyway, you can speed the thing up if you want to.

There will be a lot of add ons to tart your car up if you are bothered with the looks. Most owners do this anyway - but i dont hear the mk1 car owners moaning the mk1 car was ugly and therefore they added spoilers etc!!!

Maybe we should form a breakaway forum for all us new boys so we can get on and enjoy our cars without people slagging it all the time when most of the slaggers havent even driven one!

James

Old 21 February 2001, 05:06 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glen4 - I get exactly the same fuel consumption from my WRX as I did from my MY98 turbo - 23/24 mpg.
Old 21 February 2001, 05:34 PM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike wrote:

&gt; Not got used to the almost total lack of understeer.
&gt; Still find myself almost by instinct trying to compensate
&gt; for something that is just not there.

Could you explain what is there then? When grip is lost, what slides first? The rear? Or is it neutral (i.e. all four go at once)? I only ask because I've seen people confuse "no understeer" with "good turn-in feel". I'd be very surprised if the new Impreza didn't understeer when going over the (grip) limit...

Cheers,
Andy